Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 06:45 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,824,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
San Francisco
Oh, yea..I was thinking it might be Oakland, Berkeley, San Jose, Palo Alto, or Sausilito. Damn..I really blew it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2019, 06:49 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,611,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
There's no rule you have to stay. Find someplace else you find interesting.

The constant inane stupidity of the liberals running this place is finally going to drive me out, likely sooner than later. I won't look back when i leave.
This is the problem though. Conservatives always want to cut and run. One day you won't have anywhere to run to.

I plan to stay here even if I am the last non-communist in the 5 boroughs. I love cities and NY is the king of cities. To lose NYC completely to ridiculousness would be an enormous blow to the United States as a whole.

Old 04-22-2019, 07:21 PM

15,822 posts, read 14,463,105 times
I keep trying to come up with ways of fighting it. But the basic problem is that conservatives are vastly outnumbered here. That's not going to change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
This is the problem though. Conservatives always want to cut and run. One day you won't have anywhere to run to.

I plan to stay here even if I am the last non-communist in the 5 boroughs. I love cities and NY is the king of cities. To lose NYC completely to ridiculousness would be an enormous blow to the United States as a whole.

Old 04-22-2019, 07:32 PM

19,026 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post

I want my guns, mountains, and no neighbors. I don't have the time to stick around until NYC has those 3 things.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-23-2019, 06:47 AM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I want my guns, mountains, and no neighbors. I don't have the time to stick around until NYC has those 3 things.
If they kept the landfill open a few more decades before covering, you could have gotten your mountain and the stench probably would have driven off the neighbors. I think you got the gun part already covered. Man, what paradise that could have been! Better than family and friends!

Old 04-23-2019, 06:54 AM

283 posts, read 233,578 times
I just want this city to have a solid middle class, including lower middle class (since middle class is a broad group encompassing broad lifestyles). Wouldn't it be nice if NYC was a place where a single person making 80K a year can afford a small studio in many semi-central neighborhoods?

Isn't it a little absurd that someone making 100K in NYC is taxed 40K? 20-30 sounds way more reasonable.

Tired of NYC being all poor and all rich

Old 04-23-2019, 08:40 AM

19,026 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
If they kept the landfill open a few more decades before covering, you could have gotten your mountain and the stench probably would have driven off the neighbors. I think you got the gun part already covered. Man, what paradise that could have been! Better than family and friends!
Or I just move.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 04-23-2019, 09:16 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,611,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Maybe they could have opened a public ski slope that'd give working class NYers a place to indulge in winter sports.

Old 04-23-2019, 09:34 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,530,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The article itself says that this story is rehashed, and that New Yorkers are typically replaced by immigrants and this is still the trend. A lot of young Americans who move to NYC eventually return home or go elsewhere, to be replaced by other young people. Manhattan is a college town and so are parts of Brooklyn.
Many immigrants are also leaving the city and their relatives join them in these new places instead of NYC. If high rents adversely impact the US born it will definitely impact the new immigrant.

Old 04-23-2019, 09:47 AM

8,572 posts, read 8,530,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
With that said, I tend to assume NYC will get new waves of immigrants, and these trends will continue. It's old people retiring and moving away, working to middle class people movin.

You just gave several reasons why immigrants will not be here. Many are being priced out and as they leave those new immigrants will meet them in their new locales. Given that most aren't in high finance, tech, or media there is no reason for them to be in NYC.

There are already more Haitians in FL than in NY and almost as many Jamaicans. Dominicans are also spreading out around the country as have many of the Russians who came in the early 90s. Asian immigrants cannot wait to move to the suburbs (not necessarily those in NY/NJ) and many Central American immigrants bypass NYC altogether.

And in fact many of the transplants are also leaving, and many of the Millennials are rediscovering the suburbs as the kids arrive. You cannot have expensive housing and expensive private schools, so they leave where at least the house pays for quality schools.

It is no shock that NYC's population is stagnating. NYC will be for the very rich and the state supported poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City