Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2019, 06:16 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times

Advertisements

Local SI guys will open a Bravo's Pizza and Sports Bar at former Gennaro's spot on New Dorp Lane.

https://www.silive.com/entertainment...dorp-lane.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2019, 07:30 PM

432 posts, read 551,892 times
I wish them luck but quite frankly they will probably not make money there. The neighborhood has changed drastically the last few years. I just don’t see the audience for a sports bar/pizzeria here.

In the past 2 years alone, Gennaro’s, Mike’s Diner, Villa Monte and the Excelsior Grand (all well established SI businesses with long time followings) have shut it down as people continue to flock to NJ, NC/SC and FL.

Old 05-04-2019, 09:26 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,736,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edubz View Post
I wish them luck but quite frankly they will probably not make money there. The neighborhood has changed drastically the last few years. I just don’t see the audience for a sports bar/pizzeria here.

In the past 2 years alone, Gennaro’s, Mike’s Diner, Villa Monte and the Excelsior Grand (all well established SI businesses with long time followings) have shut it down as people continue to flock to NJ, NC/SC and FL.
I disagree. I think they will do very well. The market demands a spot like that. Mike's Diner has been closed for a while. I am still not sure why they closed. Villa Monte was replaced by another Pizzeria. The Excelsior Grand's ownership is getting up there in age, they own another very successful catering hall in NJ, and were at a crossroads. The EG was long in the tooth and had not been renovated in over 20 years. Either drop $1 million dollars in it to modernize, or sell. Truth be told NJ has sucked up all of Staten Islands upscale catering hall business. The best halls are on, or near golf courses, or set far back up winding driveways far away from main roads and have lovely sunset and evening views. The owners of EG made the right decision. The Asians that bought it will do well there. While many people have flocked to other states, there are plenty of people who still have to live and work here and those people have to eat too. The biggest problems a business owner faces on Staten Island and NYC as a whole is rent and minimum wage. $11,000 for 4200 square feet is insane. $15.00 an hour for minimum wage for menial, unskilled labor is insane as well.

Old 05-04-2019, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
I disagree. I think they will do very well. The market demands a spot like that. Mike's Diner has been closed for a while. I am still not sure why they closed. Villa Monte was replaced by another Pizzeria. The Excelsior Grand's ownership is getting up there in age, they own another very successful catering hall in NJ, and were at a crossroads. The EG was long in the tooth and had not been renovated in over 20 years. Either drop $1 million dollars in it to modernize, or sell. Truth be told NJ has sucked up all of Staten Islands upscale catering hall business. The best halls are on, or near golf courses, or set far back up winding driveways far away from main roads and have lovely sunset and evening views. The owners of EG made the right decision. The Asians that bought it will do well there. While many people have flocked to other states, there are plenty of people who still have to live and work here and those people have to eat too. The biggest problems a business owner faces on Staten Island and NYC as a whole is rent and minimum wage. $11,000 for 4200 square feet is insane. $15.00 an hour for minimum wage for menial, unskilled labor is insane as well.

Back when Excelsior Grand was the Shalimar it was something, well at least for those who didn't want to drive out to NJ. Even then if being honest don't recall too many family events or invites to the place; everyone my family or myself knew mostly booked the Manor in NJ.

That an Asian bought the place is telling, and backs up what myself and others are saying; Chinese are a growing force on the Island and that is only going to continue. IIRC one or two new Chinese restaurants have opened recently out on New Dorp Lane.

Old 05-05-2019, 04:17 PM

19,049 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Took my kids for pizza yesterday after soccer at Miller Field. We went to Pronto just across Hylan. I definitely would’ve stopped at Gennaro’s instead (or whatever goes in there). Pronto is awesome pizza fyi, much better but Gennaro’s spot has parking.

A sports bar/pizzeria sounds like a winner to me. Miller Field has softball games near 24/7 from April-October or so. Griff’s is currently the only after game watering hole nearby. This concept sounds perfect for the area to me, someone who grew up about 3 blocks from there and has spent 90% of his life within 2 miles. Gennaro’s and Party Time were two of the first places I ever by myself dropped a dollar down on the counter as a kid.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 05-05-2019, 08:00 PM

432 posts, read 551,892 times
Agreed on the Excelsior, it’s wasn’t strictly demographics that did them in. People want more these days, especially when it comes to weddings. Same is true for the Renaissance/Monte Bianca a few blocks down Hylan.

Hopefully Bravo can be successful there, only time will tell.

Old 05-05-2019, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Agreed on the Excelsior, it’s wasn’t strictly demographics that did them in. People want more these days, especially when it comes to weddings. Same is true for the Renaissance/Monte Bianca a few blocks down Hylan.

Back in the day wedding shots not at the church, bride's or groom's home were either at a studio and or at the catering hall/place where reception took place. Of course some went out to Clove Lakes or other parks on the Island for "outdoor" shots.

Today and for past few decades people want gardens and whatever outdoor "scenery" to stage wedding shots. The Shalimar/Excelsior just didn't have that that, neither does the Staten for that matter.

Family and friends still book the Staaten, but mostly for events like birthdays, first holy communion, graduations and so forth. Weddings are and have been in NJ for years now.

Old 05-05-2019, 08:13 PM

Quote:

First good start is the owners are locals, they know the area and Island so that should help.

Old 05-05-2019, 08:17 PM

19,049 posts, read 13,964,273 times
I got married at a covered bridge upstate by my best friend. Got my cake at a Shoprite in Liberty and had dinner at an Albanian Italian restaurant in the same town. Wouldn’t have it any other way. I couldn’t think of anything stupider than spending $75,000+ on a 4 hour party. I say $75 (The cake and gas, my father paid for dinner) for a happy marriage can’t be beat!

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City