Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 04:36 PM

1,199 posts, read 725,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Was just in Bushwick late last night and there were a ton of people out even after 4AM. And it was raining.
Do people who hangout in Bushwick after 4 AM usually have cars or something? I can't imagine schlepping to the Bronx, Staten Island, or residential areas of Queens and Brooklyn via a convoluted bus, train or even Uber journey at that time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2019, 05:09 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,600,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsquirrel View Post
Do people who hangout in Bushwick after 4 AM usually have cars or something? I can't imagine schlepping to the Bronx, Staten Island, or residential areas of Queens and Brooklyn via a convoluted bus, train or even Uber journey at that time.
Absolutely not! For the most part at least. Most of the people I meet either live in or near the neighborhood, Manhattan, or are tourists.

And when the L train is running, which is surprisingly is right now, the commute to or from Manhattan is so easy.

This is roughly where I was last night, there were so many people outside even in the bad weather.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7063...7i16384!8i8192

Nightlife in NYC hasn't gone anywhere, it just shifted forms.

Old 05-05-2019, 06:21 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,428,857 times
What kind of music is going on and is there dancing ? Is Club/House music still the norm ?

Old 05-05-2019, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
What kind of music is going on and is there dancing ? Is Club/House music still the norm ?
It depends where you go. There are places that play house like House of Yes, Mood Ring, and Bossa Nova Civic Club. The smaller bars mostly play rock, aside from the Latin ones which seem to play mostly reggaeton.

And nearby Williamsburg has big house/techno clubs like Output, TBA, and Schimanski.

Old 05-06-2019, 06:32 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
There is only one dance in town these days: THE TWELVE STEP.

Old 05-06-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Absolutely not! For the most part at least. Most of the people I meet either live in or near the neighborhood, Manhattan, or are tourists.

And when the L train is running, which is surprisingly is right now, the commute to or from Manhattan is so easy.

This is roughly where I was last night, there were so many people outside even in the bad weather.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7063...7i16384!8i8192

Nightlife in NYC hasn't gone anywhere, it just shifted forms.
I just wonder who these people are, it can't be a very large neighborhood that could support so many bars. In the Bronx there is one bar/lounge max per square mile. I understand the Myrtle Wyckoff area is similar to the Bronx, only one person I know lived there, because its mostly food manufacturers, bean curd mills, similar to Hunts Point or College Point.

Most people, know very, very few people who live in Bushwick or Manhattan, unless their parents were able to get into Chinatown or the LES housing projects. It is very hard to get into Chinatown unless you've been there a while, and the local people are being gentrified into Staten Island.

One of my former classmates was able to get into Bushwick NYCHA, otherwise, most people I know regardless of nationality, are living on Staten Island, Mt Vernon, places like that or with their parents in Brooklyn, Bronx and Queens. By Brooklyn I'm talking about places like Mill Basin and Flatlands Avenue. By Queens I'm talking about like St Albans.

Old 05-06-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
I just wonder who these people are, it can't be a very large neighborhood that could support so many bars. In the Bronx there is one bar/lounge max per square mile. I understand the Myrtle Wyckoff area is similar to the Bronx, only one person I know lived there, because its mostly food manufacturers, bean curd mills, similar to Hunts Point or College Point.

Most people, know very, very few people who live in Bushwick or Manhattan, unless their parents were able to get into Chinatown or the LES housing projects. It is very hard to get into Chinatown unless you've been there a while, and the local people are being gentrified into Staten Island.

One of my former classmates was able to get into Bushwick NYCHA, otherwise, most people I know regardless of nationality, are living on Staten Island, Mt Vernon, places like that or with their parents in Brooklyn, Bronx and Queens. By Brooklyn I'm talking about places like Mill Basin and Flatlands Avenue. By Queens I'm talking about like St Albans.
It has plenty of bars because the neighborhood demographics support them. And a lot of people come from other neighborhoods too to hang out.

Myrtle-Wyckoff is the Bushwick/Ridgewood border and it's mostly apartment buildings on both sides with businesses on the commercial strips. Bushwick in general is mostly lower income Hispanics but there are quite a few white gentrifiers now. Gentrifiers of various backgrounds, actually.

Old 05-06-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
It has plenty of bars because the neighborhood demographics support them. And a lot of people come from other neighborhoods too to hang out.

Myrtle-Wyckoff is the Bushwick/Ridgewood border and it's mostly apartment buildings on both sides with businesses on the commercial strips. Bushwick in general is mostly lower income Hispanics but there are quite a few white gentrifiers now. Gentrifiers of various backgrounds, actually.
Well I keep seeing events that I am interested in there such as metal gigs but am afraid of the train and bus being problematic after midnight. I've experienced that sadly in Manhattan which was a major problem.

Being stuck on the platform for a long time and then the trains not working correctly. How would the neighborhood demographics support a lot of bars unless it's massively high density?

Old 05-06-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Well I keep seeing events that I am interested in there such as metal gigs but am afraid of the train and bus being problematic after midnight. I've experienced that sadly in Manhattan which was a major problem.

Being stuck on the platform for a long time and then the trains not working correctly. How would the neighborhood demographics support a lot of bars unless it's massively high density?
To my knowledge you live in the East Bronx, getting from there to Brooklyn is going to be a pain no matter what without a car. And even with a car most likely. But the late night transportation in Bushwick is pretty good, the L train is now running late night but with a modified schedule. The M runs as a shuttle after a certain time.

Bushwick is absolutely high density. Just take a tour of the neighborhood, it's made up overwhelmingly of 3-4 story apartment buildings. Easily rivals the South Bronx in terms of urbanity.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.6990...7i16384!8i8192

Old 05-06-2019, 04:24 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
It's never going to be like the 90s where you can walk around NYC and find nightlife and parties after 9pm. Today it is still only limited to the connected and some spots but it's not like you see lines of people going to parties like the 90s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirlMastic Beach View Post
Freaking Patchogue LI seems more pumping on a Saturday night these days than anywhere in Manhattan.
It can't be that bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City