Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 10:05 PM

983 posts, read 932,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
People need to ask their building's management to talk to the USPS and get them to install a postal locker in the lobby of their building (if they have room). It's free.

I think most of the theft is from standalone houses in semisuburban areas like eastern queens or the north bronx where delivery guys just leave stuff on the front doorstep
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2019, 09:40 AM

7,906 posts, read 7,888,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pureistheword View Post
I work for a high rise that has a package locker room. Most Amazon drivers are lazy, just dump a pile on the floor and bounce.

they do

once around the holidays, i came downstairs and all the packages were dumped in the lobby. whoever was on that day did not give af lmaooooooooo

Old 05-09-2019, 09:21 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,282,695 times
This is why I don't shop online that much.

Sh---y postal employees will just dump boxes on the lobby floor instead of taking it back to the holding station. I straight up seen a UPS stop his truck in the middle of the street, run inside the apartment building (with the door propped open), throw it in, not even near the mailbox area, and run back.

Of course, if a junkie is desperate enough, they'll just kick yank open the mailbox assembly and take what's inside since they're made so cheaply but, that doesn't happen much since it is noticeable.

Old 05-10-2019, 09:35 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Packages started getting stolen in my apt. building since the elevator went out of service and is being replaced and delivery people are leaving the packages by the mailboxes where everyone has access to them (rather than climbing stairs and leaving packages in front of people's doors). Hopefully when the new elevator starts to work, this problem will go away.

Old 05-10-2019, 04:10 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
I think there is so much online shopping now that it has, in response, led to an increase in theft---more opportunities. Everyone also seems to have Ring or something along those lines to post the video.

It seems to happen in bunches---like they go from neighborhood to neighborhood. I never see any of them getting caught though. A few years ago this woman stole a bunch of stuff from the building across from us---she rolled up in a vehicle, walked in and walked out with packages. They had good pictures and plastered her all over the place but she still was never caught. She could've rolled up from anywhere in the city.

Old 05-10-2019, 04:23 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
I think there is so much online shopping now that it has, in response, led to an increase in theft---more opportunities. Everyone also seems to have Ring or something along those lines to post the video.

It seems to happen in bunches---like they go from neighborhood to neighborhood. I never see any of them getting caught though. A few years ago this woman stole a bunch of stuff from the building across from us---she rolled up in a vehicle, walked in and walked out with packages. They had good pictures and plastered her all over the place but she still was never caught. She could've rolled up from anywhere in the city.
That is crazy... I accidentally broke one of my Jars Tourron low bowls, so I ordered a replacement from Crate & Barrel. I had it shipped to my storage unit and they will call me immediately when it arrives. I don't take any chances. Either it is delivered to my office or at the place I mentioned. I do caution to never get anything delivered by LaserShip. They have delivery guys that lie and will claim that the delivery was sent.

I had so many problems with them that I contacted Vitacost and told them point blank either you have my orders sent via FedEx or UPS or I am no longer shopping with you, and that's well over a thousand dollars in orders that I place with them for the year just for organic staples and such. Since I switched to FedEx, no issues.

Old 05-10-2019, 04:35 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post

That is the problem, package thefts are sort of a quick grab sort of crime. Unless LE is right there, and or someone drops a quarter and they arrive to catch suspects the latter usually is long gone.

But NYPD is actively attempting to crack down: https://nypost.com/2019/02/13/nypd-u...-parcel-thief/

Problem is the huge amount of packages delivered versus way people live these days. Everyone is out much of the day so deliveries just sit outside apartment doors, in lobbies, etc...

Old 05-10-2019, 04:41 PM

494 posts, read 557,866 times
Most postal employees are not lazy but they do not have enough time to climb stairs and deliver packages to every floor. They have to cover such a large location they only have time to drop packages and get to the next location. In my friends building they put all the packages in the lobby by the mailbox and I understand they do hat to save time. It is super annoying can lead to theft but even in my building with a doorman I have had packages and mail stolen.

I think that is why we have so many amazon locker locations. A lot of people I know that don't have a doorman to take their packages have their packages delivered to a locker or another secure location.

Old 05-10-2019, 04:58 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyrical View Post
Most postal employees are not lazy but they do not have enough time to climb stairs and deliver packages to every floor. They have to cover such a large location they only have time to drop packages and get to the next location. In my friends building they put all the packages in the lobby by the mailbox and I understand they do hat to save time. It is super annoying can lead to theft but even in my building with a doorman I have had packages and mail stolen.

I think that is why we have so many amazon locker locations. A lot of people I know that don't have a doorman to take their packages have their packages delivered to a locker or another secure location.

UPS and FedEx have begun signing up local merchants to act as collection and delivery points. In my area several convenience stores are drop off and package delivery points for UPS. Many of local Duane Reade stores do same for FedEx.

Years ago FedEx, UPS, USPS, and other package delivery services wouldn't leave packages unless they got a signature. That has long ago ceased, there is just too many packages and drivers in addition to making deliveries also have to collect outgoing shipments as well. There is only so much room on a truck so....

Unless something is sent (and paid for) as explicitly requiring an adult signature UPS, USPS, and others can and will leave things in a "secure area", period.

If you want something truly secure insure it for a very high amount. UPS at least that means everyone or time someone touches that package it has to be signed for; and it won't be delivered without same.

Old 05-11-2019, 05:17 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
I remember on NextDoor someone posted a guy and they even had his car in the background. Distinct outfit, distinct car/rims, so if someone knew him they would've been able to tell. Multiple people had the same guy on video who just seemed to be rolling up to various houses day to day, following the route of the delivery truck.

I got the feeling that the cops didn't really care based on the NextDoor discussion. They have it easy here. Meanwhile, they pull up on my husband and I when we came home one night, late, and thus had to park far away, asking us what we're doing in the area. I said, "Parking our car." Then he asked us if we lived in the area. We said yes, a few blocks away, but there aren't spots so we're parking here. He told us that there had been a lot of drug activity in the area of the park. I didn't even get to step out of the car and head toward the park, which I wouldn't have been doing anyway. Why don't you stakeout the park then? Oh I know, because they don't want to really do their jobs and just want to harass people over dumb stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City