Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 12:05 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,288,555 times

Advertisements

On social media, I have been seeing people post videos in front of their homes in Queens especially where random people are scanning entire blocks looking for packages or walking up to peoples' mailboxes and taking the mail out and walking away with it. I'm wondering if this is a more recent phenomenon or if it's always been a problem? My mail is in a locked mailbox, and my packages are either delivered to my office or I have them sent and held at a delivery service on the Upper East Side and I am called immediately when they are delivered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2019, 12:10 PM

34,081 posts, read 47,278,015 times
People need to ask their building's management to talk to the USPS and get them to install a postal locker in the lobby of their building (if they have room). It's free.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-08-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
People need to ask their building's management to talk to the USPS and get them to install a postal locker in the lobby of their building (if they have room). It's free.
What I have been seen is people walking up to homeowners' mailboxes and just taking the mail out and walking away. If you have packages delivered by FedEx or UPS, they just walk up from the street and take them and walk off. In some respects you may be better off in an apartment building, since the newer ones usually have what you described.

Old 05-08-2019, 01:20 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Mail/package theft is a large and growing issue.

Thanks to the explosion of online shopping there simply is a huge volume of goods being delivered by USPS, UPS, FedEx, and whoever. Worse thanks to this large and rising volume of packages most places no longer will leave a note instructing someone to reschedule delivery if no one is home, but just leave the packages unless shipper specifically instructs otherwise.

Yes, in more suburban/rural areas people either follow delivery vehicles and or drive up and down streets looking for packages. Here in Manhattan or other apartment buildings they either break into lobbies, wait for someone to come in/go out to gain entry.

Then you have fact many private delivery persons (such as for Amazon) will just leave packages in outside vestibule if they cannot get into lobby. Any eegit walking down the street can see those packages. I've seen packages left outside of doors of apartment buildings/townhouses right at street level.

Old 05-08-2019, 01:23 PM

874 posts, read 454,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
"On social media, I have been seeing people post videos in front of their homes in Queens especially where random people are scanning entire blocks looking for packages or walking up to peoples' mailboxes and taking the mail out and walking away with it. I'm wondering if this is a more recent phenomenon or if it's always been a problem? My mail is in a locked mailbox, and my packages are either delivered to my office or I have them sent and held at a delivery service on the Upper East Side and I am called immediately when they are delivered."
Dear Pierrepont:

.....you GET mail delivered to you on the upper east side." did you JUST get into town then??? (LoL).

getting the news from <brrrr> "social media."

"I'm wondering if this is a more recent phenomenon or if it's always been a problem?"

sadly, Pierrepont......it "ain't" nothing new. people over the last, hmmm.....25+ years -----> have RUINED what used to be....normal postal life in America.

it's a sick society of "people."

. . .You can't even TRUST mailing a letter anymore without worrying if "THEY & THEM" are going to come along and:

- FISH the mail RIGHT OUT OF THE corner mailbox
- They literally STEAL MAILBOXES RIGHT OFF the corner
- They steal packages, mail or anything else they can get their hands on in the lobbies of buildings or on peoples stoops, porches...[u name it].

It's more prevalent all over now..........BUT, locals like me, KNOW: "YOU NEVER USED TO HEAR ABOUT THIS, this NEVER used to happen." ~~~~~> mailboxes being UNSCREWED from the sidewalk and being carried away, etc....

you need to watch the real news....see with your own eyes, instead of reading "JoeBlob's facebook page" or wherever you GO to Cyber-socialize.

Old 05-08-2019, 05:25 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,884,218 times
I was in the Dyckman houses the other week and even they have a postal locker

Old 05-08-2019, 07:11 PM

650 posts, read 2,517,495 times
I work for a high rise that has a package locker room. Most Amazon drivers are lazy, just dump a pile on the floor and bounce.

Old 05-08-2019, 08:37 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times
I'll guess that the new phenomenon is the rise of video and the obsession with being public.

Old 05-08-2019, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruSue View Post
Dear Pierrepont:

.....you GET mail delivered to you on the upper east side." did you JUST get into town then??? (LoL).

getting the news from <brrrr> "social media."

"I'm wondering if this is a more recent phenomenon or if it's always been a problem?"

sadly, Pierrepont......it "ain't" nothing new. people over the last, hmmm.....25+ years -----> have RUINED what used to be....normal postal life in America.

it's a sick society of "people."

. . .You can't even TRUST mailing a letter anymore without worrying if "THEY & THEM" are going to come along and:

- FISH the mail RIGHT OUT OF THE corner mailbox
- They literally STEAL MAILBOXES RIGHT OFF the corner
- They steal packages, mail or anything else they can get their hands on in the lobbies of buildings or on peoples stoops, porches...[u name it].

It's more prevalent all over now..........BUT, locals like me, KNOW: "YOU NEVER USED TO HEAR ABOUT THIS, this NEVER used to happen." ~~~~~> mailboxes being UNSCREWED from the sidewalk and being carried away, etc....

you need to watch the real news....see with your own eyes, instead of reading "JoeBlob's facebook page" or wherever you GO to Cyber-socialize.
These are neighborhood pages with video of people stealing packages and mail, hence my comments.

Old 05-08-2019, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
I was in the Dyckman houses the other week and even they have a postal locker
Housing projects with lockers... Interesting how that works...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City