Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 06:22 PM

8,679 posts, read 11,069,654 times

Advertisements

Live in an apartment in Great Neck. Avoid paying nyc income tax. Have a short commute that would make everyone jealous. Train or drive to nyc on weekends for entertainment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2019, 06:44 PM

1,339 posts, read 1,682,286 times
I concur. Great Neck is a great place to live with lots of restaurants and things to do as well. If I were OP I too would live in Great Neck. Driving into Queens or elsewhere is easy from GN.

Old 05-14-2019, 06:52 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
Live in an apartment in Great Neck. Avoid paying nyc income tax. Have a short commute that would make everyone jealous. Train or drive to nyc on weekends for entertainment
I think that’s good advice. One time I had to take a cab from Jackson Heights to great neck for a medical appointment and I think it took 45 minutes. It wasn’t even rush hour.

Old 05-15-2019, 12:18 AM

15,826 posts, read 14,463,105 times
This. Great Neck is very nice.

If you have kids, it has GREAT schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post

Old 05-15-2019, 01:13 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
i lived in great neck and meh, i was in great neck estates .... for one thing unless you have a driveway parking is a pain ..there is no parking on most of the streets during the day ...

i thought it was over priced as far as rent ... a pain to get in and out of because of traffic and only 2 roads or so leading in and out ...most stores struggle and are gone in a flash ... i much prefer bay terrace in bayside

Old 05-15-2019, 06:50 AM

231 posts, read 113,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
I'm a single 41 year old professional who may be taking a job in Great Neck. I've heard NYC is the best place to live as the burbs are boring and that Queens would be my best bet if I were to work in Great Neck. What are the best areas of Queens to live in for a single person? Nice apartment buildings, things to do, etc.
You must live along the LIRR Port Washington line. Anything else is a tremendous blunder. Gives you a quick commute and the LIRR back-up instead of the horrorshow drive-commute. Suggest any community within walking distance of the Port Washington line stops. The result will be life happiness.

Old 05-15-2019, 09:01 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
I had a friend who long ago worked in Great Neck, for Sperry, and he lived in Brooklyn Heights. when rents were reasonable. Unfortunately I don't know how he commuted.

Old 05-15-2019, 09:15 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
I like to eat out and grab drinks. I'll have a car and will most likely drive to work. Not sure if the location will be near the LIRR.

Have car, grab drinks: bad combo. I drove drunk very often, sometimes plastered. I caused only one accident in 50 years, stone cold sober, so who am I to talk.

Old 05-15-2019, 03:36 PM

1,034 posts, read 671,996 times
Bayside gets my vote, not only due to its proximity to GN, but generally it’s more affordable than neighborhoods in queens that are nearer to subway trains. There are no subway trains in bayside.

Do you want a walkable town? Then look near Bell Blvd / LIRR station.
Also look in east flushing which encompasses a very large area... it’s quite affordable for nyc standards.

I wouldn’t dismiss GN entirely either - it’s true that it’s more family oriented, no bars, people know each other thru schools / religious communities .. but it’s still a pretty cool town during a day.

Old 05-15-2019, 09:47 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
I assure you, you won't be the only single person in Great Neck. There are other 20 and 30 somethings living there. Depending on part of Queens you would end up in, parking might be difficult. Waiting lists to get a spot in a building, might be difficult to park on the street. Bayside also has a big family/older population, as well as younger. Astoria is more for the going out crowd, but not that easy a commute to Great Neck via public transportation. Most likely, you'll find a building in Great Neck that has a parking spot (extra fee of course).

What will the people be like where your new job is located? Are they going to be able to grab a drink with you after work or are they going home to family life? It will probably be easier to just go to the city on the weekends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City