Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 03:59 PM

313 posts, read 208,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Wow. Age three? That is amazing! I love maps so maybe I should start studying.
If you love maps, here is a good site for NYC subway maps. https://www.nycsubway.org/wiki/Historical_Maps

It has route maps, historical maps and historical pictures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2019, 04:03 PM

6,219 posts, read 3,543,383 times
Knowing NYC geography helps out a lot, I'd say

Old 05-21-2019, 04:06 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,915,131 times
NYer born & raised... I have traveled on the subway 30+ years and still do daily. But I have never in my entire life been on the 7 train!

I can tell you how to get from point A to B on any subway line, or any Manhattan bus.. Please DO NOT ask me about the 7!

Old 05-21-2019, 04:21 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,633,157 times
The subways are complex with all the mazes and branch offs.

Old 05-21-2019, 06:13 PM

3,403 posts, read 3,548,982 times
Quote:
Savvy means just learning/knowing where you are going and how to get there from anywhere.
I see...then I guess I must be one of those expert. The reason being, I know when is a good time to take certain train and where to get on board to get a seat, and when to get off the train station by walking to another train station by switching line when there is a delay or police investigation.

In order to maximize the use of Subway, one has to be willing to do some leg work as well. Of course, during bad weather you just have to figure out one way or the other to get from one station to another. Another key factor is timing, timing sometime basically make or break your ride.

Above all were learn by riding subway for the past decade. Sometime there are shortcut, and sometime the only way to know if it works for you is when you took the ride and experience it in order to really know.

Old 05-21-2019, 06:13 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,594,113 times
Just downloaded some apps.

Thank you!

Old 05-21-2019, 06:19 PM

313 posts, read 208,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midgets Make Cool Pets View Post
I grew up in it. Been riding the subways - alone - since I was 8. Not something many would consider allowing nowadays. But when you have it ingrained at a young age, it's like riding a bike.
Agreed.

Old 05-21-2019, 09:13 PM
Q44

894 posts, read 1,023,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midgets Make Cool Pets View Post
I grew up in it. Been riding the subways - alone - since I was 8. Not something many would consider allowing nowadays. But when you have it ingrained at a young age, it's like riding a bike.
Same here. I can remember at 8 years old taking the subway alone from the Bronx into Manhattan to meet my mom at work back in the 60's. Nobody I knew had a car, we all got around by train or bus.

Even my user name on C-D shows how ingrained the MTA is in my brain.

Old 05-21-2019, 09:16 PM
Q44

894 posts, read 1,023,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayLove View Post
NYer born & raised... I have traveled on the subway 30+ years and still do daily. But I have never in my entire life been on the 7 train!

I can tell you how to get from point A to B on any subway line, or any Manhattan bus.. Please DO NOT ask me about the 7!
Never been on the 7??? Inconceivable

Old 05-21-2019, 09:58 PM

15,488 posts, read 15,465,847 times
Quote:
I recently returned from a trip to NYC, and loved the idea of the subway system. I went with a friend who figured out how to use it. I didn't pay much attention to the details.

I am wondering how natives learn the system and what percentage of the population is subway savvy.

Are there people who don't know it at all? Some who know it a little bit? Experts? Or are you taught how to navigate it in school? Or by your parents? At what age do kids and teens use it (didn't see many of either)? Just basically interested in the learning and use of it.
I don't even know what you're asking. Are you asking if people carry a mental picture of the layout of the whole system in their heads? What would be the point of that? Or are you asking if we can read a map?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City