Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 06:26 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,236,702 times

Advertisements

I'd look in Bedford Park before going all the way to Woodlawn. Lots of young professionals with families moving into that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2019, 10:26 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by high iron View Post
I'd look in Bedford Park before going all the way to Woodlawn. Lots of young professionals with families moving into that area.
All the way to Woodlawn... Woodlawn is the next neighborhood north of Norwood, is safer than Bedford Park, and has good prices....

Old 05-30-2019, 10:41 AM

8,333 posts, read 4,372,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by high iron View Post

The OP is a medical resident though, meaning that his/her income for the next 5 years or so will be way below a "young professional" in any other line of work, and also that he/she will be working/training in a much harder profession/with much longer hours. While "cheap" is definitely a requirement for resident housing, residency it is not a commuting situation even with less call and shorter post-call hours that residents have nowadays, ie, a resident has to live very close to the hospital. Norwood, Woodlawn and Bedford Park are all too far (in addition to being not affordable to a resident).

Old 05-31-2019, 03:25 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
The OP is a medical resident though, meaning that his/her income for the next 5 years or so will be way below a "young professional" in any other line of work, and also that he/she will be working/training in a much harder profession/with much longer hours. While "cheap" is definitely a requirement for resident housing, residency it is not a commuting situation even with less call and shorter post-call hours that residents have nowadays, ie, a resident has to live very close to the hospital. Norwood, Woodlawn and Bedford Park are all too far (in addition to being not affordable to a resident).
Bedford Park is on one side of Mosholu Parkway , Norwood is on the other. From much of Bedford Park( the better part) it is a 10 min walk to Montefiore. 204th st to 210 st is 6 blocks.

I live in Pelham Parkway and there has always been a number of residents from Montefiore, Einstein, Jacobi and even St Barnabus renting in my building ... all of which are much further than the distance from Bedford Park to Montefiore.

Last edited by bluedog2; 05-31-2019 at 03:33 AM..

Old 05-31-2019, 05:25 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
Bedford Park is hit or miss. Some blocks are hood and others are not. Norwood I think is worse in terms of it having more bad blocks. I would say visit both neighborhoods, especially now in the summer time, and get a feel for what blocks are sketchy and which ones are not.

Old 05-31-2019, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Bedford Park is on one side of Mosholu Parkway , Norwood is on the other. From much of Bedford Park( the better part) it is a 10 min walk to Montefiore. 204th st to 210 st is 6 blocks.

I live in Pelham Parkway and there has always been a number of residents from Montefiore, Einstein, Jacobi and even St Barnabus renting in my building ... all of which are much further than the distance from Bedford Park to Montefiore.

Well then, maybe residents in NYC don't mind putting up with walking that kind of distance every day at 5 am (incl Dec and Jan), and maybe resident hours are less exhausting nowadays (I didn't do a residency in NYC, or in the 21st century, but I have no experience of living more than 2 blocks from the hosp as a resident, and even that distance seemed too far, one was just constantly tempted to crash on a stretcher in the hallway). The best/only thing is still to find a place on the same block where some of the current residents already live - that answers all possible questions about safety and convenience. Residency is not the time to explore novel urban territories, and actually not the time for anything at all outside the hospital.

Old 05-31-2019, 08:37 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,629,510 times
As for Bedford Park, I'd agree with Bluedog about living above Bedford Park Blvd if possible, but in this case, I'd agree with elnrigby about living as close as possible to the hospital. I don't have personal experience, but it seems that for any job with crazy hours (and potentially the responsibility of life and death decisions) you'd want to get all the sleep you can. I'd also take whatever was closest if it were me.

Old 05-31-2019, 11:34 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
How is Norwood too far when the hospital is located IN Norwood?? In terms of safety and affordability, Woodlawn is about as affordable as it gets in the Bronx, especially when compared to Bedford Park and Norwood. All of Woodlawn is fine. Not the case for Norwood and Bedford Park.

Old 05-31-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
How is Norwood too far when the hospital is located IN Norwood?? In terms of safety and affordability, Woodlawn is about as affordable as it gets in the Bronx, especially when compared to Bedford Park and Norwood. All of Woodlawn is fine. Not the case for Norwood and Bedford Park.

I thought the hospital was located in Morris Park. Did they move it??

Old 05-31-2019, 12:57 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,629,510 times
Quote:
I thought the hospital was located in Morris Park. Did they move it??
You're thinking of Jacobi. Although Montefiore has facilities in other areas of the Bronx, the hospital is in Norwood.

When you said you thought Norwood was too far, I thought you listed it by accident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City