Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 06:00 PM

6,136 posts, read 4,498,140 times

Advertisements

On top of running 24/7/365, there's the sheer number of people NYC transit moves from here to there on a daily basis. When you take population into account, the amount of incidents becomes small on a percentage basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2019, 05:53 AM

65 posts, read 36,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Cause Americans accept a lower bar on everything that's why
Ding Ding Ding!!! This exactly.

Old 05-30-2019, 11:02 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,878,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
On top of running 24/7/365, there's the sheer number of people NYC transit moves from here to there on a daily basis. When you take population into account, the amount of incidents becomes small on a percentage basis.
Tokyo Metro handles just as many riders along with London coming close. 24/7/365 is now officially false advertising. Trains in any given neighborhood flat out don't work during nights and weekends due to decades overdue "maintenance"... Basically I don't travel anywhere on weekends outside of my neighborhood because of it. Multiple lines are down throughout many portions of the city.

I am in Tokyo right now visiting my in laws and the subway and connecting regional rail lines are not 24 hours yet work perfectly in the hours they do run, 7 days a week. Have been caught up in rush hour a few times and not experienced the sardine packed trains at all.

Meanwhile back home the NW lines delay for a whole hour or more off peak , it isn't captured or reflected on MTA.info and trains are packed at 11am and 2pm I come from 2 generations of MTA workers and there's just no rhyme or for all the B.S. You can blame and finger point whomever it won't solve the underlying problem is our dysfunctional culture that demands perfection in Sports, Music and Entertainment but not in vital infrastructure and institutions.

There are numerous challenges and issues with Japan for example or any other country with excellent public transportation. However, to me if people can't even get around in your city as a visitor or tourist how can you expect to be able to keep the city alive long term? We're already seeing the impact. NYers are leaving for Florida and most importantly NYers who own businesses that create jobs. And Florida's public transportation system is practically non existent, so that's saying a lot.

Old 05-30-2019, 11:06 AM

33,999 posts, read 47,230,787 times
Quote:
Tokyo Metro handles just as many riders along with London coming close. 24/7/365 is now officially false advertising. Trains in any given neighborhood flat out don't work during nights and weekends due to decades overdue "maintenance"... Basically I don't travel anywhere on weekends outside of my neighborhood because of it. Multiple lines are down throughout many portions of the city.

I am in Tokyo right now visiting my in laws and the subway and connecting regional rail lines are not 24 hours yet work perfectly in the hours they do run, 7 days a week. Have been caught up in rush hour a few times and not experienced the sardine packed trains at all.

Meanwhile back home the NW lines delay for a whole hour or more off peak , it isn't captured or reflected on MTA.info and trains are packed at 11am and 2pm I come from 2 generations of MTA workers and there's just no rhyme or for all the B.S. You can blame and finger point whomever it won't solve the underlying problem is our dysfunctional culture that demands perfection in Sports, Music and Entertainment but not in vital infrastructure and institutions.

There are numerous challenges and issues with Japan for example or any other country with excellent public transportation. However, to me if people can't even get around in your city as a visitor or tourist how can you expect to be able to keep the city alive long term? We're already seeing the impact. NYers are leaving for Florida and most importantly NYers who own businesses that create jobs. And Florida's public transportation system is practically non existent, so that's saying a lot.
Keep 'em happy and stupid

/thread

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-30-2019, 11:34 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,281,267 times
NYC public transit is lauded in America because compared to most of the rest of America, where public transit is non-existent, it IS comparatively that much better. Keep in mind large swaths of America could rightly be shuttered, abandoned and, condemned.

Old 05-31-2019, 02:15 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,680,578 times
Quote:

We can't compare Japan with America. They have a different work ethics and societal values than we do. Most American workers are trying to figure out how to do less and get more while in Japan they're always trying to figure out how to do more and be appreciated by customers.

Old 05-31-2019, 11:03 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,327,883 times
If we consider OECD countries our peer countries, I’d consider US cities last for mass transit out of the places I’ve seen so far when it comes to how good their mass transit systems in respect to the size of the city. US cities run a gamut in how good or bad their mass transit systems are, but their top range isn’t stellar and their bottom seems abysmal.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 05-31-2019 at 11:16 PM..

Old 06-01-2019, 06:39 AM

5,003 posts, read 5,972,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
"So why exactly is NYC public transport praised?"
that is where most of the "praisers" live and they
promote NYC since it promotes them as well.
Public Relations and all that.
"Despite its problems it's still the best in the world."

Hear that one a lot. Have to think that they've never been anywhere outside the US to say that.

NYCT positives are trains with AC and 24-hr service, although 24-hr service is way overrated. Especially now with uber.

Negatives are substandard service frequencies for both peak and off peak. Inferior design where uptown/downtown can only be accessed through separate entrances. Lack of staff. Dirty. Slow.

Old 06-01-2019, 02:54 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,327,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
"Despite its problems it's still the best in the world."

Hear that one a lot. Have to think that they've never been anywhere outside the US to say that.

NYCT positives are trains with AC and 24-hr service, although 24-hr service is way overrated. Especially now with uber.

Negatives are substandard service frequencies for both peak and off peak. Inferior design where uptown/downtown can only be accessed through separate entrances. Lack of staff. Dirty. Slow.
The worst negatives right now are its lack of reliability both in regards to scheduled service and the shifting scheduled down time that happen especially on weekends as well as the balkanized commuter transit network that doesn't allow these extensive systems to be better utilized as super express trains that also have more stations in the CBDs which would greatly reduce crowding and delays from massive crowds transferring to the subway system during peak hours.

With all those issues we've mentioned, it's still somehow the best system overall among US cities.

Old 06-01-2019, 04:00 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,902,482 times
There's few other US cities where one can live without using a car and rely entirely on public transportation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City