Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 06:20 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,871,041 times

Advertisements

Again, from a WOMAN'S point of view (mine), it's scary after dark...and I was born and raised in Manhattan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 10:10 PM

14 posts, read 75,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Again, from a WOMAN'S point of view (mine), it's scary after dark...and I was born and raised in Manhattan.
And that's definitely the point-of-view I'm looking for. Thanks for the words of caution, Viralmd. Better safe than sorry!

Old 04-16-2008, 03:27 AM

757 posts, read 3,355,800 times
According to my birth certificate, [superfluous] driver's license and passport, I'm female, too. They're consistent with my observations, and I am probably not going out on a limb in assuming other people's observations, too. So you can balance the opinions.

Over a period of a few years in the '90s to about 2002, I used to walk home regularly in the evening (not late night, I admit, but after dark) along Tenth Ave. through the 50s. Never a problem.

Last edited by Carbro; 04-16-2008 at 03:53 AM..

Old 04-16-2008, 03:59 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,943,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
face facts, just about anywhere it is not safe for a female to wandering about alone late at night on quiet streets

Old 04-16-2008, 05:17 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,871,041 times
I was responding to John_Starks who said it was safe. Unless John is a woman....I should have been more specific in my response.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:10 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,239,311 times
I'm not familiar with that block but I used to live in the low 50s between 10th and 11th and my best friend still lives there. I haven't felt unsafe in Hell's Kitchen in at least five years and my friend hasn't mentioned anything and she comes home at all hours. However, there is a deli on the corner and some street traffic near her apartment. Just be smart and listen to your instincts. The bottom line is, do YOU feel safe?

Old 04-18-2008, 08:02 PM

112 posts, read 435,672 times
Wondee Siam Thai on 9th near 53rd. Afghan Kebab House on 9th near 51st. Bombay Express on 9th near 52nd. These restaurants aren't super cheap but priced average if you are buying one meal for takeout. I'm not entirely sure of the cross streets, but those are some of my favorite ethnic restaurants in that neighborhood. I have seen a farmers market set up closer to Columbus Circle, but I can't remember when it is there. There is a Gristedes on 54th and 8th, but IMO all of the supermarkets in that area are lacking. The vegetable aisle at Gristedes makes me want to cry. I find Whole Foods has the best selection for fresh vegetables in the neighborhood and it's priced like the rest of the supermarkets. I just stay away from buying the overpriced organic stuff so I don't leave Whole Foods too much poorer.

Old 04-19-2008, 12:05 AM

757 posts, read 3,355,800 times
Let me just insert this note about the pleasures of shopping at Whole Foods. The staff. Everyone seems to have high morale. At other supermarkets, I find cranky employees to be the norm. I've yet to encounter one at Whole Foods, from the stock people to the managers, to the cashiers. Everyone is eager to help, with a smile.

This says something about the corporation's human values, and I am happy to support Whole Foods for its good employee relations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City