Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 09:52 AM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Half of the middle class has no 401K and lives from paycheck to paycheck (but their own paycheck rather than someone else's). Most of the middle class also does some amount of planning when they realize they will have to downsize in a few months. Moving to Buffalo requires an online search for a cheap rental on the free computer in a library, plus a Greyhound ticket for which one does not typically need a 401K.
Sure, if you're single. If you're married and/or have kids, there's more factors that go into relocating.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2019, 09:54 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,225,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
No thats not what I am saying. I am simply saying that Landmarking prohibits high-density development. Like I said, try knocking down a corner single family brownstone, and putting a multiple dwelling building up with off-street parking required, and see how long it takes.
Well duh, the whole point of landmarking is so that you can't just arbitrarily knock down the brownstone. What's the point of protecting them if anyone can just knock them down?

Old 06-07-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Well duh, the whole point of landmarking is so that you can't just arbitrarily knock down the brownstone. What's the point of protecting them if anyone can just knock them down?
Exactly, why do all of them need to be protected? Walk down Henry Street in Brooklyn and its all the same from Cadman Plaza to Red Hook, do we really need all of them?

I have nothing against brownstones. They really look nice. But we don't need 15 blocks of them in a row one stop from Wall Street...

Old 06-07-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Lol, that is the premise, but it inadvertently prohibits it to an extent. Do you have any experience filing with the Department of Buildings or the Landmarks Preservation Commission?
Yes dealing with the City of New York is a strenuous and time consuming activity because of precisely all the red tape and layers upon layers of bureaucracy that I first posted about a few pages ago.

Old 06-07-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Yes dealing with the City of New York is a strenuous and time consuming activity because of precisely all the red tape and layers upon layers of bureaucracy that I first posted about a few pages ago.
Yeah, that alone makes it more difficult. Once you unravel the layers of this whole topic, it's quite the beast.

Old 06-07-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Exactly, why do all of them need to be protected? Walk down Henry Street in Brooklyn and its all the same from Cadman Plaza to Red Hook, do we really need all of them?
You need perspective, which you clearly do not have. Do you know how many tens of thousands of streets that are not landmarked? Meanwhile you choose to focus on the few hundreds (if that) of the streets that are.

Old 06-07-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Yeah, that alone makes it more difficult. Once you unravel the layers of this whole topic, it's quite the beast.
So that goes back to my point about too government interference being a problem, so what are we arguing about then?

Old 06-07-2019, 10:05 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,391,884 times
Quote:
I agree with historic preservation of individual buildings, not entire sections of the city. Or at best limit the area to 2-4 square blocks. Brooklyn Heights, while cute, should have way more high rises than it does. Lol it's one stop away from the Financial District.

If an entire section of a city merits preservation architecturally, then it should be preserved - the criterion for preservation is the historic value, not the size of the area. If anything, the Village has been insufficiently preserved. If minority advocates acted right instead of fighting development, the former recording studio that Jimi Hendrix built for himself in the Village would not be an ordinary medical office now but would have been preserved intact, there would be a very widespread co-op ownership by minorities in NYC, and the awesomely well built NYCHA buildings wouldn't be hellholes that they have become due to what people do in them.

Old 06-07-2019, 10:06 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Quote:

I have nothing against brownstones. They really look nice. But we don't need 15 blocks of them in a row one stop from Wall Street...
Why shouldn't they be? As opposed to the garbage being built today?

Old 06-07-2019, 10:09 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,391,884 times
Quote:
Sure, if you're single. If you're married and/or have kids, there's more factors that go into relocating.

If I were married, it would be far easier with two people capable of earning an income. I would absolutely never (as I didn't in fact) have children on a precarious income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City