Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 09:22 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,066,350 times

Advertisements

Uninvited,

Perhaps you should not have invaded THEIR territory?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2019, 09:28 AM

1,121 posts, read 591,194 times
White girl from Florida
Gets free education grants and scholarships just for being a girl
Gets easy internships just for being a girl
Gets easy jobs just for being a women
Gets promoted to better jobs by other women colleagues
Moves to East Harlem
Gets brand new apartment with high luxuries and anything else she ever needed
Writes home about how gritty life is and how awful poor black city people are
Starts a non profit in NYC for protecting other spoiled American women from the phantom patriarchy

Old 06-02-2019, 09:32 AM

7,906 posts, read 7,884,218 times
rofl...

Old 06-02-2019, 09:38 AM

34,080 posts, read 47,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by propman-nyc View Post
White girl from Florida
Gets free education grants and scholarships just for being a girl
Gets easy internships just for being a girl
Gets easy jobs just for being a women
Gets promoted to better jobs by other women colleagues
Moves to East Harlem
Gets brand new apartment with high luxuries and anything else she ever needed
Writes home about how gritty life is and how awful poor black city people are
Starts a non profit in NYC for protecting other spoiled American women from the phantom patriarchy
U picked Florida?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-02-2019, 09:58 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,382,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unentitled View Post
I live in a new building in East Harlem. I'm the first tenant in my apt. The building has doormen, a hard-working super, two nice elevators, "Juliette" terraces, rooftop access, a gym, and free Internet access.

Oh, and now "low-income" people. People who feel entitled to living here because they grew up in Harlem. I've had a few interactions with someone of them, and after I did, I felt like I needed a SHOWER. I didn't realize how much I loathe these people. Their ****ty attitudes, and ****tier behavior. Treating this building and the hard-working people in it, like the projects they just came from. They're paying pennies on the dollar for their apartments. I wish I cut my 2 year lease. Now I understand why condos are so sought after.

"Low-income" tenants. The "low" stands for low-lives. Low or little respect for the social contract others have to abide by. And what's crazy is that these low-lifes will remain here, long after I am.

God, forgive me. I hate that I feel this way. I hate that I'm letting this turn me into a person I don't like. I don't have a lot, but what I do have, I've worked hard for. And, really, I just want serenity when I close my door. And what I'm going to do to ensure my piece of serenity and peace of mind is buy home security cameras. I really don't feel like my apt (and cat) is safe when I leave for work.

What is the criteria to get one of these apts? I've been looking into it, and apparently, these people have to work. And that's bull**** I know they don't. Not all, of course. But when I'm lucky enough to work from home and have to do errands, I see them coming in and out during the day. (And don't be ridiculous: they're not working from home, too.)

I'm done spewing for now. In my dreams, one of these "20%ers" is reading this, and if you are, I just want to say No one gives a f**k that you grew up in Harlem. The world is changing, including the world around you. Ingratiate yourself. Have some ****ing manners. Act like an adult, not a farm animal. Stop letting your friends in to use this gym we're lucky enough to have.

I need a shower.

With the exception of bringing friends to the gym, you did not mention in your post what else specifically these people are doing that is offensive. You can complain to the building management (including unobtrusively taking a picture of "friends" at the gym, or whatever other problems are happening). Anyone violating terms of a lease can be fined or evicted (and companies that own and manage rental buildings DO pursue fines and evictions - it is hard for small scale landlords, but fairly routine for larger companies).

Old 06-02-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Uninvited,

Perhaps you should not have invaded THEIR territory?

What makes it their territory? The OP is paying rent to live in that place - how is that "invading"?

Old 06-02-2019, 10:28 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,450,768 times
Mad because you moved to NYC and nobody cares that you're there.

Old 06-02-2019, 10:33 AM

27 posts, read 25,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
What makes it their territory? The OP is paying rent to live in that place - how is that "invading"?
It’s their neighborhood and NOW it belongs to the OP as well. Referencing the fact that they’ve grown up/lived in the neighborhood for decades not that they own the area. It would be the same sentiment if OP moved to Mott Street in Chinatown and began complaining about their Chinese neighbors.

OP couldn’t afford an apartment outside of East Harlem and is now complaining about the choice they’ve made.

Tsk tsk - poor people problems.

Old 06-02-2019, 10:45 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,450,768 times
Champagne taste on a beer budget.

Old 06-02-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkNerd View Post
It’s their neighborhood and NOW it belongs to the OP as well. Referencing the fact that they’ve grown up/lived in the neighborhood for decades not that they own the area. It would be the same sentiment if OP moved to Mott Street in Chinatown and began complaining about their Chinese neighbors.

OP couldn’t afford an apartment outside of East Harlem and is now complaining about the choice they’ve made.

Tsk tsk - poor people problems.

The neighborhood is called Harlem, which suggests that some Dutch people grew up/lived in the neighborhood for decades, and now it belongs to anyone who legally resides there. The OP is not complaining about his/her choice, but about some other tenants in the building bringing their friends to the gym, and apparently doing some other things that bother the OP. I can't say whether all of the OP's complaints are legitimate (as the gym complaint seems to be) since the OP did not specify what those other problems were.

Tangentially related to this, according to NYPD, the same 2,000 people who have a record of multiple arrests (more than 10 on average) commit more than 99% of ongoing crime. While crime is usually attributed to poverty, there are many more than 2,000 poor people in NYC who do not commit any crime... so actually, the solution to NYC crime is not a matter of dealing with poverty, but a matter of locking up those 2,000 gentlemen (and ladies) permanently.

Likewise, the solution to ******-** behavior of certain poor people should target those people individually (by booting them out of a new mixed-income rental building if they bother other neighbors), not blaming the behavior of specific individual jerks on "occupation of their territory".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City