Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 07:11 PM

3,130 posts, read 2,724,468 times

Advertisements

People paying 30% or more of their income certainly do have a personal investment in their home.

Whatever you're paying for your housing, I assure you there are people in NYC who are paying as many times more that as you are than even a low-income-band tenant. They'd think of you as lower than a parasite on a louse on a rat in the subway. Hell of an attitude to buy into. No wonder the middle class is dying out--serf mentality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2019, 07:42 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
I couldn’t careless what ANYONE thinks of me. If you saw how I dress, you’d believe me.

I know that I don’t live around skells and I don’t pay someone else’s mortgage. I don’t take risks when it comes to the people I live around because I’m not very fond of most people. My goal is to keep it that way until I can move far away.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 06-02-2019, 09:03 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,445,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Obvious foreigner.
Harlem has been a **** hole for a long time now. But that’s poverty for you. It’s not exclusive to Harlem. I’ve actually watched a few documentaries about Harlem and they describe and even celebrate the long standing drug trade that originated and still thrives in that area.

Naturally most people want to do a lot better and move away to a nicer place, but there is a very large number that actually bask in the misery of their neighborhood.
Again, poverty breeds all sorts of negative cycles which could be hard to understand to someone who’s foreign to it.

My belief has always been, if you don’t like the area, then move. And if you can’t afford to, well there is no one else to blame in this world for that but you.
This.

Personally, I feel if you grew up poor and especially a minority in NYC you may live up to the stereotype bc you know people think less of you.

It takes a person with a strong character and a good support system (like a close knit immediate family) to break out of the cycle.

Old 06-03-2019, 06:05 AM

7,903 posts, read 7,875,928 times
here’s the thing

East Harlem has always been poor

You can’t expect to move into poverty and not see POVERTY

Should’ve toured the neighborhood before you moved in to make a decision whether you could live amongst folks or not

If you don’t like certain people, don’t talk to em

I would wait it out cause East Harlem is changing

Old 06-03-2019, 06:29 AM

5,099 posts, read 4,959,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I couldn’t careless what ANYONE thinks of me. If you saw how I dress, you’d believe me.

I know that I don’t live around skells and I don’t pay someone else’s mortgage. I don’t take risks when it comes to the people I live around because I’m not very fond of most people. My goal is to keep it that way until I can move far away.
Are you courageous enough to post a selfie here for us to see how peculiar you dress your self?
You got us very curious

Old 06-03-2019, 06:36 AM

8,331 posts, read 4,372,464 times
Quote:
You’re an idiot for moving there. I wouldn’t move into a building knowingly occupied by people who did not earn the right to be there if it was free (yes, I get the irony, it’s to prove a point).

It’s not magic people. If you live in a place inhabited by people with no personal investment, you’re going to encounter anti-social, degenerate behavior. Period, end of story. Anyone who says otherwise is a fool.

The problem is that the OP is not well-off (the OP says something to that effect, that he/she does not have much, but it is earned by hard work), and can only live somewhere where he/she can afford it. Unfortunately, a person like that in many places is stuck with being interfaced with ghetto mentality. But, as I mentioned, private rental companies are probably interested in kicking out any ghetto mentality that hurts their bottom line (by keeping higher-paying tenants away), so they do have an incentive to remove ghetto mentality from their buildings. The whole idea is to have the "better quality poor" in these buildings. Strict enforcement of building rules (by charging fines for every conceivable violation - eg, definitely for noise) and ultimately eviction works miracles over the years in the direction of improvement of a building/neighborhood.

Old 06-03-2019, 07:10 AM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
Are you courageous enough to post a selfie here for us to see how peculiar you dress your self?
You got us very curious
I religiously wear cargo shorts almost year round. According to what I’ve seen posted around the internet, this makes me a horrible fashion person. I bought a rayon Hawaiian shirt yesterday too. Good enough?

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 06-03-2019, 09:00 AM

1,560 posts, read 901,971 times
Quote:
I religiously wear cargo shorts almost year round. According to what I’ve seen posted around the internet, this makes me a horrible fashion person. I bought a rayon Hawaiian shirt yesterday too. Good enough?
Please, just don't wear socks with your sandals. You're a better guy than that.

Old 06-03-2019, 10:02 AM

1,274 posts, read 978,310 times
Probably a troll... but I laughed at the gym stuff. Come on, I live in downtown Manhattan, and I have lived several years in some of the top and most expensive rentals in the city because it's convenient and I could definitely invite friends at the gym or whatever facilities. There is a limit in term of people, but you can do it!

Whatever the OP drinks to be that furious about his neighbors, I am definitely curious to try it.

Old 06-03-2019, 03:47 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
You’re an idiot for moving there. I wouldn’t move into a building knowingly occupied by people who did not earn the right to be there if it was free (yes, I get the irony, it’s to prove a point).

It’s not magic people. If you live in a place inhabited by people with no personal investment, you’re going to encounter anti-social, degenerate behavior. Period, end of story. Anyone who says otherwise is a fool.
In their defense if they are paying market rate rent, they may not have known. Usually the brokers won’t make any mention of such people living there. They care about getting your money, so they will try to sell the amenities and how nice it is. When landlords become desperate, they start moving in the welfare people. I’ve seen it happen too and it’s disgusting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City