Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 03:53 PM

12,199 posts, read 7,227,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMan11 View Post
I blew your points out the water with a world atlas, a national geographic interactive map . And i was born n raised in nyc . Its more diverse than any city on earth. And it will be forever because its the most important city on earth. Financial capital of world. Number 2 in tech industry. So yea..
Your world atlas contradicted your claim that NYC was by far the most diverse. What I got out of that is that many cities are on par with NYC.

Your National Geographic map actually makes NYC look just like most of the country.

And we are talking about diversity, not financial capital or most important, although even those can be debatable too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2019, 04:08 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,602,552 times
Quote:
Every city is like that? Ok im done with this. I see what this is really about. I know as do true nyers that diversity is what makes nyc what it is. Im not talking Manhattan. Im talking nyc . Queens, brooklyn bronx staten island and Manhattan.
The outer boroughs are filled with segregated neighborhoods. Are you even from New York?

Old 06-04-2019, 04:13 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsquirrel View Post
Why do people believe NYC is the ne plus ultra of cultural and ethnic diversity? In terms of number of foreign language speakers as well as percentage of racial minorities, many cities have us beat by far.

For example Miami has more foreign language speakers and Detroit has a higher non white percentage. Houston, Atlanta and Dallas are all just as diverse as here. Moreover, apparently Minneapolis is the national capital of Wiccans lol.

The parts of San Francisco where people actually live such as Fremont and Union City have a far higher foreign born percentage. Almost 75% of people in Hialeah, a residential area of Miami, are foreign born. 74% of people in Birmingham, Alabama, are black. What do you think makes people think this way?

Simply foreign isn't the point. Miami may have more foreign language speakers (do you know that for a statistical fact?), but I'm guessing most of them are Hispanic. I suspect NYC might still lead in terms of actual diversity.

Old 06-04-2019, 04:28 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,602,552 times
Quote:
Im from the bronx , and i have lived in queens and there not segregated at all. Thats false . The neighborhoods all intertwine. Yes you will get majority of one neighborhood the next block will start changing. I dont know if you actually go outside and walk around lol. I have. Queens in particular is extremely diverse . My family has lived in asian neighborhoods and African American neighborhoods. And puertorican.
Not saying Queens is particularly segregated, but what you are describing is segregation.

Old 06-04-2019, 05:05 PM

1,034 posts, read 673,756 times
I'd characterize manhattan as less edgy, less nuanced in the conversations.. more frat conformist and tamed..due to tech and finance bros /nyu crowds taking over the Manhattan party scene; going with the global trends where you got to be careful what you say or how you behave in public, lest be filmed and cyber bullied.

In the other boroughs , Queens is still very diverse.. Take a walk around Jackson Heights, dozens of cultures spill on top of each other.

Old 06-04-2019, 05:40 PM

12 posts, read 11,444 times
If you go by food cuisine, I don't know any city that can offer what NYC does

Old 06-04-2019, 05:44 PM

1,199 posts, read 725,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Every city is like that.
Someone said that Charlotte is apparently not like that, and that people are more integrated. My friend also said that his experience growing up Latino in Suffolk County in the '80s was not like that, but it's changed a lot over the past 20-30 years (Suffolk County is pretty segregated).

Old 06-04-2019, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Thats a definition. Nyc is not segregated at all. Its just a blend of communities living amongst eachother. You literally can get an apartment and live in those neighborhoods. If there was segregation you wouldnt be allowed. Do you understand now?
You just described the differences between de jure and de facto segregation. And I feel that people who come from the west coast (non-LA, non-IE) and the non-deep south don't experience that as much because there's more of a common culture. One of my friends has recently started getting a lot of negativity about the fact that he has a Jewish last name and is an evangelical Christian. This comes with the lack of a common culture here.

While I uh, kind of like having the knowledge of things like the fact that both Dominican and Chinese parents hit their children with household objects because it creates common ground between my friends and I, I wish I'd had a football team or a Gay-Straight Alliance in my high school.

People did escape and integrate but it's only if they were able to integrate into an upper middle class culture and move into a gentrified area. I'm talking about minorities btw. One of my friends felt she had to move out of her cultural area so she's paying thousands of dollars for rent, when she doesn't make a lot.

Now if there was a place that was more mixed culturally that was affordable, where more people were Americanized but also poor she would be able to do it. Instead she had to move to a wealthy, 100K and trust fund, neighborhood that has a lot of yuppies so that she can be openly gay. This is just one example.

Last edited by fatsquirrel; 06-04-2019 at 06:09 PM..

Old 06-04-2019, 06:05 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Some of you must live in a NYC that is part of the Twilight Zone or some alternate reality. That is if you even live in the city at all.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-race-map.html

Fact that the loon BdeB and his instrument schools chancellor are trying to bust public education system is more than enough proof of "racial segregation" in NYC.

New York City actually is far more segregated than many southern or mid-western areas. I'm talking about where people actually live, not who you see on the streets, in bars or other transient locations.

Main reason why this has begun to change is in large part due to gentrification. But there you have whites/Asians moving into mostly areas populated by the coloureds people or Latino/Hispanic. https://www.civilrightsproject.ucla....-neighborhoods

Old 06-04-2019, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Some of you must live in a NYC that is part of the Twilight Zone or some alternate reality. That is if you even live in the city at all.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-race-map.html

Fact that the loon BdeB and his instrument schools chancellor are trying to bust public education system is more than enough proof of "racial segregation" in NYC.

New York City actually is far more segregated than many southern or mid-western areas. I'm talking about where people actually live, not who you see on the streets, in bars or other transient locations.

Main reason why this has begun to change is in large part due to gentrification. But there you have whites/Asians moving into mostly areas populated by the coloureds people or Latino/Hispanic. https://www.civilrightsproject.ucla....-neighborhoods
Yeah exactly. The types of people moving into the erstwhile hood, moreover, are not people reared in NYC but those with a more shall we say efficient and well-socialized outlook on life because they weren't raised in a tightly packed city that was heavily segregated on not just an ethnic, but socioeconomic level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City