Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 07:35 PM

1,199 posts, read 725,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagerNYC View Post
There are many people of mixed culture decent. If you mean race by dark skinned and light skinned then yes, I've met many black Italians, Puerto Rican Italians, Chinese Puerto Ricans, Egyptian Dominicans, Jamaican Chinese etc...
If there are so many mixed people and minorities stay within their cultural areas for generation upon generation, then where are the LGBT organizations, Goth clubs and vegan restaurants in these neighborhoods (just to name a recent trend) for example, I don't even see it that much in Howard Beach or Borough Park whose residents have been there for a long time. Also these areas do not have many biracial folk. By race I mean the national origin of one's parents, as well as skin color within the American stereotype.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2019, 07:40 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsquirrel View Post
If there are so many mixed people and minorities stay within their cultural areas for generation upon generation, then why don't I see many mixed people in Flushing, Jackson Heights, and East Flatbush who actually reside there? I only really meet a significant proportion of mixed people who live in either African American or mainstream white neighborhoods not even Italian areas.

Where are the LGBT organizations, Goth clubs and vegan restaurants in these neighborhoods (just to name a recent trend) for example, I don't even see it that much in Howard Beach or Borough Park whose residents have been there for a long time. By race I mean the national origin of one's parents, as well as skin color within the American stereotype.
This thread was a fail. You need to re-organize your thoughts and come back. Either choose an aspect of diversity to focus on, or stop leading people on this wild goose chase for the sake of conversation. First paragraph focuses on ethnicity & race, and the second paragraph is asking about sexual orientation and dieting habits. It's ridiculous.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-04-2019, 07:41 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,600,729 times
Quote:
I'm sorry but those other cities, even on the west coast and Texas don't match NYC in diversity. Name me a city where I can get Jamaican food and Uzbek food in one neighborhood. NYC was always known for its immigrant culture and the reason why neighborhoods are "segregated" is because they're segregated based on culture, like Chinatowns, Little Haiti (Flatbush) Little Dominican Republic (Wash Heights) Little Guyana (Richmond Hill) etc.. but within those neighborhoods are other ethnicities like in Chinatown there are Vietnamese and Koreans, in Flatbush there are Jamaicans, Panamanians, Bajans, Trinis, in Wash Heights there are black Americans, and Central Americans in Richmond Hill there are Pakis, and Indians and I could go on. The thing is people like to live around people who are similar in culture to them. That's why areas like Bay Ridge and Astoria were once Greek and Italian are now Turkish, Middle Eastern and Egyptian, because they all share Mediterranean culture (similar foods and culture besides religion) Its literally the same for every other neighborhoods as well. People are not segregating becuase they're conscious about "race" it's because people like to live around people who share the same culture with them. You don't see many Caribbean Americans (Jamaicans, Haitians, etc) living with black Americans in Bed Stuy and Fort Greene etc because they live in Flatbush and Crown Heights around people who share similar culture with them. It's not about "race" when it comes to segregation in NYC, atleast not in the last 50 years or so. That's how I see it. And if it was really segregated someone other another background wouldn't be able to live in those areas, but that's not the case.

That is why we need to do a census based on culture and not a made up thing called "race"
I don't think NYC is particularly segregated, but I don't see how it'a much more diverse than LA, Houston, Chicago, DC, etc. There are also a lot of diverse suburban areas in California and Texas.

Old 06-04-2019, 07:46 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,600,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMan11 View Post
Lmao . Ok buddy if u say la Houston and Chicago is just as diverse then were all wrong and living in the twilight zone lol
You're just stuck in 1985

Old 06-04-2019, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMan11 View Post
Lmao . Ok buddy if u say la Houston and Chicago is just as diverse then were all wrong and living in the twilight zone lol
Chicago has been diverse for a long time.

Old 06-04-2019, 07:52 PM

313 posts, read 212,678 times
Quote:
If there are so many mixed people and minorities stay within their cultural areas for generation upon generation, then why don't I see mixed people in Flushing, Jackson Heights, and East Flatbush? I only really meet a significant proportion of mixed people who live in either African American or mainstream white neighborhoods not even Italian areas.
Because those areas you mentioned like Flushing and EFB are predominantly Chinese/Korean and Caribbean American.. Flushing lost its white population in the 80s and EFB has been Caribbean American since the 70s, before that it was Jewish and some Italians. Jackson Heights is already a diverse neighborhood amongst Central Americans, South Americans and Indians, so there may be some mixed people there. Like I said people look for cultural familiarity when living amongst someone and when "intermarrying" people are selfish so they look for people who are similar to them and people are afraid of anything different. So someone who is Chinese may not marry a Greek or a black American because they see their culture as completely different and are afraid of change. But those who are "Americanized" may be more open to doing this.

Old 06-04-2019, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
I don't think NYC is particularly segregated, but I don't see how it'a much more diverse than LA, Houston, Chicago, DC, etc. There are also a lot of diverse suburban areas in California and Texas.
How many people from Eastern Europe or Central Asia live in those other cities mentioned? How many Caribbean Americans including Ricans and Domincans live in those other cities mentioned? South Americans? West Africans? Middle Easterns, Italians and Greeks? No way bro. LA is mostly Mexicans and Guatemalan, Salvadorian, some East Asian, "white American," and "black American" maybe some Armenians and Iranians but that's it. Houston is literally Mexicans, Black and White Americans and some Chinese. Chicago may be a bit more diverse but not on the level of NYC and DC is no comparison...

Old 06-04-2019, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Because those areas you mentioned like Flushing and EFB are predominantly Chinese/Korean and Caribbean American.. Flushing lost its white population in the 80s and EFB has been Caribbean American since the 70s, before that it was Jewish and some Italians. Jackson Heights is already a diverse neighborhood amongst Central Americans, South Americans and Indians, so there may be some mixed people there. Like I said people look for cultural familiarity when living amongst someone and when "intermarrying" people are selfish so they look for people who are similar to them and people are afraid of anything different. So someone who is Chinese may not marry a Greek or a black American because they see their culture as completely different and are afraid of change. But those who are "Americanized" may be more open to doing this.
I've met people who moved from China, India, Africa to the US 5 years ago and are already married interracially in suburban areas, but I don't see this in NYC neighborhoods on as large of a scale as in some other areas.

Meanwhile I met very few mixed race people in my college and high school and to bring it to another form of diversity, I never met a gay person until I was 25. But high schools in other parts of the country, actually have gay straight alliances and lots of mixed race people. Houston traditionally takes in a lot of refugees and its tech industry attracts a diverse demographic.

Last edited by fatsquirrel; 06-04-2019 at 08:08 PM..

Old 06-04-2019, 07:59 PM

Quote:
I've met people who moved from China or India to the US 5 years ago and are already married interracially, the main difference is that they don't live in NYC they live in a more truly diverse place. One of them is actually my cousin and he's not Americanized in the least.
Which area do they live in that's more "truly diverse?"

Old 06-04-2019, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Which area do they live in that's more "truly diverse?"
Talking strictly about barriers to intermarriage being lowered:

The big 6:
Atlanta, Houston, Tallahassee, DC, Arizona, Chapel Hill area

The tech places, where you marry your coworkers:
SF South Bay, Portland Oregon, Seattle, and Austin TX

And, small cities on the west coast and in the midwest.

Gay rights diversity:

The tech places, plus the west coast, and much of the midwest.

Eastern Europeans and Central Asians reside throughout the LA area and South Florida, I'm not sure about other places. Many people from the Caribbean live in Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City