Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 07:00 AM

195 posts, read 130,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Median income for NYC by borough: https://patch.com/new-york/new-york-...olds-make-year

Note this is only gross we're talking about. After federal and especially state/local taxes actual take home is less, much less. https://neuvoo.com/tax-calculator/New+York-100000

Or: https://smartasset.com/taxes/new-yor...eck-calculator

This is one reason why many of all sorts are leaving. People are fed up with being taxed to death, and not only getting very little to show for it, they feel their money could do better elsewhere.
Their money would go further in many other places, but there is no where quite like NYC. The restaurants, jazz clubs, broadway, central park, dance studios.. I could go on and on...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2019, 07:40 AM

1,121 posts, read 591,265 times
The article is weird. Didn't like it.

$100,000 salaries are not small anywhere in the entire world even in more expensive cities than New York.

Millenials really are over privileged. Boomers were too. Complaining about their easy college degrees and landing easy jobs that pay a fortune. It's stupid.

Spoiled brats.

Old 06-11-2019, 07:56 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by propman-nyc View Post
The article is weird. Didn't like it.

$100,000 salaries are not small anywhere in the entire world even in more expensive cities than New York.

Millenials really are over privileged. Boomers were too. Complaining about their easy college degrees and landing easy jobs that pay a fortune. It's stupid.

Spoiled brats.
$100k is a $50k job in the middle parts of the country. Because if you look at rents around here. Take $3000 rent which seems to be the new 2 BR rent price around the area within 15mi radius. That's $36k in rent. In the middle of America you can get rents for 1/2 price, around $1500 you can live in a new building with 1/2 utilities covered too. Unlike the ConEd con job of charging everybody over $100 for using 1/2 the electricity someone in a huge home still pays just $100.

Don't care about people leaving. Just wish that more businesses and jobs leave NYC so we can spread out job sites and not depend on NYC as the hub for all jobs and business. That is the biggest problem when everyone has to go to this tiny area through mass transit and our governments both local and Fed are not spending or doing enough to improve the infrastructure.

Say all of the construction on Manhattan are complete instantly right now. All the new business and jobs coming here would cause even more delays and traffic nightmare without a bigger improvement to our infrastructure than current state.

Unless they widen all subway stations and add more trains and lines. I'll be glad more people leave here instead of coming.

Old 06-11-2019, 08:39 AM

1,199 posts, read 724,794 times
A normal salary in NYC is well over 100K. This is the reason we can't have a middle class like every other place in the country. Most people I know have never been to Broadway or an upscale restaurant, they live here because their families are here.

Old 06-11-2019, 09:36 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
$100k is a $50k job in the middle parts of the country. Because if you look at rents around here. Take $3000 rent which seems to be the new 2 BR rent price around the area within 15mi radius. That's $36k in rent. In the middle of America you can get rents for 1/2 price, around $1500 you can live in a new building with 1/2 utilities covered too. Unlike the ConEd con job of charging everybody over $100 for using 1/2 the electricity someone in a huge home still pays just $100.

Don't care about people leaving. Just wish that more businesses and jobs leave NYC so we can spread out job sites and not depend on NYC as the hub for all jobs and business. That is the biggest problem when everyone has to go to this tiny area through mass transit and our governments both local and Fed are not spending or doing enough to improve the infrastructure.

Say all of the construction on Manhattan are complete instantly right now. All the new business and jobs coming here would cause even more delays and traffic nightmare without a bigger improvement to our infrastructure than current state.

Unless they widen all subway stations and add more trains and lines. I'll be glad more people leave here instead of coming.
Of course, if you aren't an idiotic super scared racist you can live in Upper Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, or Jersey for well under 34k a year in rent. The other boroughs and Jersey are still expensive compared to the rent of the country, but you can find something affordable by NYC standards. Especially if you're making 100k a year.

As for people moving out of the city, it's also not new. It's a very old story that's been happening for decades and will continue to happen. More people will move out. Others will move in to replace them, Millennials are now getting OLD and as people decide on families some of them may want more space, which is a factor.

The Post is a right wing publication desperate to claim economic catastrophe so they can blame it on the Democratic party. Just as people essentially trolled City Data a few years ago claiming de Blasio would bring back the 1970s. Well neither the city nor the state are broke and things are fine.

I'm not saying people should vote Democratic or like their policies, but when people blatantly lie and put out misinformation to scare people to vote for them or support them, it's lame now matter who does it.

NYC was around before there was a Democratic or Republican party, and if the US ever decides to ditch the two party system it will still be around.

Old 06-11-2019, 09:43 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,615,922 times
Kudos to them. I like living without a car and I don't like Chicago so I'm staying. Over 9 years strong now.

Old 06-11-2019, 09:58 AM

5,462 posts, read 5,707,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Pick an area, people are leaving. LI, Westchester, upstate......

Unless democrats take full power in 2020 and reverse the SALT deduction cap, things are only going to get worse for NY, NJ and Conn.
Or we can always... you know... lower our local taxes. Nah who am I kidding, right?
People making over $100k are not leaving because of that, sure.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:02 AM

19,039 posts, read 13,955,559 times
I can't wait till I'm one of them! I'll keep my house here probably too because I can afford two houses when the time comes. If my kids leave, that goes too.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 06-11-2019, 10:06 AM

195 posts, read 130,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsquirrel View Post
A normal salary in NYC is well over 100K. This is the reason we can't have a middle class like every other place in the country. Most people I know have never been to Broadway or an upscale restaurant, they live here because their families are here.
I have a very hard time believing that native middle class new yorkers have never been to a broadway show or dined at any upscale NYC restaurants.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:31 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
So, to the $100,000 NYC people: what are you making in Peoria?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City