Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2019, 12:17 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,616,935 times

Advertisements

Just chiming in* what randomperson2 has said is correct. To add, the Rollins also has in unit w/d. I say that they're nice but not the nicest as compared to say the lux building on Gold St in Downtown Brooklyn with a rooftop pool or the ones on the Weehawken, NJ waterfront where you're right on the water with a ferry that takes you to 42nd st (might be around 34th st, I don't remember). I've also seen better appliances and apartment styles in renovated apartments in Inwood and Washington Heights. I haven't lived in these buildings though, I'm forever tied to the LES at this point haha. To confirm what randomperson2 said, the standard of living is indeed much better in the buildings of these luxury apartments as the alternatives are those converted walk-ups you mentioned. However, the best parts of the neighborhood probably are right outside of these walk-ups, as in a way it's the style of the neighborhood and East Village as a whole.

I too am someone who prefers not as nice places, it fits more my style in a way and I care a lot about the old good architecture. A lot of the tenements were handcrafted wonders, even if they were built to hold some of the lowest classes of NY at the time. I would live in one again before I ever consider living in a house in the suburbs.

On your question about 80/20, basically it's 80% market rate and 20% affordable housing for those whom can't or won't afford the market rates, as they are insane! Not everyone is comfortable with that for whatever reason, so I wanted to make sure you are aware.

The properties are clean, there are maids/maintenance people that vacuum the halls during the day and clean the lounges. There had better be for the prices they charge market rate. Like randomperson2 said, The Essex might be louder if you're on the side of the building that faces Delancey. I don't find it bad, but others may. It's not serene quiet.

As far as why I chose The Essex over The Rollins? I wanted to be ontop of the subway. The dual rooftops and lounges ended up being amazing perks as well. I feel like they outclass The Rollins in that regard. I got very very lucky that I had a good opportunity to choose an affordable apartment in each building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by falmouth View Post
Just curious so I know how to base my search, would you suggest to look at other neighborhoods or other apartments in the LES
Depends really on what you want, what you're willing to spend, where you need to be, what you want to be around, etc. The lux buildings are great choices, but they are very expensive. Not as bad as TriBeCa when I lived there ($10k+/mo apartments(!)), but not cheap by any metric.

Old 06-14-2019, 02:28 PM

3,139 posts, read 2,731,547 times
If you have the money to spend, having little to no commute is worth a premium. How much of a premium is a matter of personal judgment. Keep in mind that the subway access is somewhat limited right there, so if your work is near Essex Crossing, you want to live on the J (which doesn't go very far into Manhattan) or the F/M. Look at a subway map and that should delineate the neighborhoods for you. You could also consider the East Village, immediately north of the LES, though again there you'll be faced with the choice between overpriced new build or ancient tenements. I just think the EV has a homier vibe.

Old 06-15-2019, 03:22 PM

18 posts, read 11,664 times
thanks y'all! really helps me decide between those two buildings at least but in general, sounds like most of them are pretty similar.

also helps me realize that there aren't really "luxury" apartments in the LES outside of these developments.

Old 06-15-2019, 04:03 PM

I finally got out onto the terraces yesterday night--they're very pleasant. The sixth floor has hammocks and a couple of grills. The gym is not ideal but Fitness on Ludlow is one block away and not crazy expensive.

Old 06-16-2019, 06:36 PM

Oh that’s frustrating about the gym they make it seem awesome..

Old 06-17-2019, 01:02 PM

They just don't have what I want, which is a recumbent bike so I can get through my exercise while reading. They have a couple of Pelotons, which I think you may have to pay to use (not the building--Peloton--not sure if there's some way to just use them as ordinary bikes without accessing classes), several treadmills, a couple Stairmasters, and an erg-looking-thing, also a semi-decent weights set up. If they have what you want, it's fine.

Old 06-17-2019, 02:40 PM

Another luxury building in the area that's really nice is 252 South St. It's a bit out of the way being nearly on the water and the train of choice would be the East Broadway F, but it has stuff like an indoor pool.

Old 06-18-2019, 06:06 PM

Tbh I haven't heard great things about that building. I think in terms of amenities its nice, but not great public transportation, not much to do around the area, not really having good grocery stores/places to shop. It seems lose lose for everyone. The lower income people being displaced obviously don't like it, but the higher income people coming in also don't like it for its subpar location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City