Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 03:46 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,890,990 times

Advertisements

On Tuesday night, the transportation committee of Community Board 7 unanimously passed a resolution approving a Department of Transportation (DOT) plan to create a protected bike lane on Central Park West, in part, by eliminating parking on the east side of the avenue. Four hundred parking spaces will be lost if the plan is implemented.
The new bike lane would run north from Columbus Circle to Frederick Douglass Circle — 59th Street to 110th Street. It would be bordered by the curb, with painted and physical barriers (bollards), separating it from traffic by seven feet.
The response of the audience, which filled the chapel of Congregation Rodeph Sholom to capacity, while not unanimous, was overwhelmingly positive. The memory of Madison Lyden, the 23-year-old Australian woman killed last summer while biking on Central Park West, was very much present in the room. A letter from her mother in favor of a protected bike lane was read.

The board had previously asked the city to consider putting a protected lane on CPW, but Lyden’s death accelerated that process. The bike lane that currently exists is separated from traffic by only a painted line. Cars now park and pick up passengers at the curb. It was a livery cab, pulling out from the present parking lane, that forced Lyden to swerve into the path of traffic and the private carting truck that killed her, police said.
“This plan will make sure what happened to Madison Lyden will never happen again,” said Council Member Helen Rosenthal, who stopped by the meeting to express support and gratitude to the Department of Transportation.
The community board had originally asked for a two-way bike lane, but that was deemed unfeasible, due to turning-lane and bus-stop considerations, according to a DOT official.
Several community members stepped forward to complain about the behavior of bikers, and to ask for greater enforcement of them than is currently occurring. Deputy Inspector Timothy Malin, of the 20th precinct, responded that the far great incidence of accidents involving automobiles made them the NYPD’s primary focus.
The next step is for the full Community Board to vote on the resolution. If approved, implementation of the plan could begin as soon as this year and conclude in 2020.
Community residents and other interested parties will again be able to express their opinions about the plan at the next Full Community Board meeting to be held on July 2nd. We’ll post the details of when and where as they become available.

https://www.westsiderag.com/2019/06/...parking-spaces
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2019, 03:49 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,238,729 times
Great !

Old 06-13-2019, 05:46 PM

15,856 posts, read 14,483,585 times
They need to get rid of the existing bike lanes, not make more.

Old 06-13-2019, 08:29 PM

1,424 posts, read 726,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
They need to get rid of the existing bike lanes, not make more.
Not gonna happen under Vehicle Zero. Expect more bike lanes.

Old 06-13-2019, 08:50 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,358,901 times
Blech.

Old 06-14-2019, 06:22 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
i think it is a terrible idea, i heard on the TV 400 parking spots willbe lost and i think that is beyond terrible.
were the frukk are people supposed to park.

it seems all of a sudden the bike traffic has become so heavy, it wasnt like this in the 70's and 80's.

NOW they want all these freaking bike lanes that to me are nothing but a PITA. to narrow streets to begin with, avenues, were nto meant for bikes, what part of that dontr people get????

i like riding a bike also, but i dont use it in place of a car, and NO, i wouldnt be ridng my bike on 7th ave in the city, hello????? dont think so.

Old 06-14-2019, 12:03 PM

3,402 posts, read 3,577,158 times
Sounds good to me. Get rid of as many car as possible.

Old 06-14-2019, 02:33 PM

1,568 posts, read 907,833 times
NYC will never be a quaint place like Amsterdam with its canals and teaming bikes; it will never even be a meandering European cobble-stone city center like Rome with Vespas cruising every which way.

New York was designed and built to be the worlds free-for-all melting pot and economic power house. We have wide bustling avenues for a reason. It is not intended for frivolous bicycle excursions.

Old 06-14-2019, 02:46 PM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope of Greenwich Village View Post
NYC will never be a quaint place like Amsterdam with its canals and teaming bikes; it will never even be a meandering European cobble-stone city center like Rome with Vespas cruising every which way.

New York was designed and built to be the worlds free-for-all melting pot and economic power house. We have wide bustling avenues for a reason. It is not intended for frivolous bicycle excursions.
With new battery technology bringing the prices down and extending range and speed bicycles will increase on a massive use scale. Back when gas was 5 a gallon I commuted 2 years straight daily. For every bike on the street there is one less car. How could that not be a good thing for the other motorists?

Old 06-14-2019, 02:51 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda718 View Post
Not gonna happen under Vehicle Zero. Expect more bike lanes.
LMAO@Vehicle Zero.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City