Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 06:04 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,669,164 times

Advertisements

In my experience, lying across seats isn't confined to the homeless.

I'd be happy with just having people - homeless or not - rousted by an MTA person and told to sit up or get off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2019, 08:13 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
https://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/...pba-story.html

There's just too many homeless people in NYC. Whenever I see cops with rubber gloves on, I know what they have to do.

Old 06-16-2019, 08:52 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
While summons may have seemed wasteful as I don't expect many homeless folks to actually show up, they provided (or the failure to comply with the summons and show up at court) the city with an opportunity to get these homeless off the subway/streets and thrown in jail, which could serve as a deterrent. Now, I don't know if this new program will work, but we'll have to wait and see I guess.

Old 06-16-2019, 09:17 PM

1,199 posts, read 724,997 times
Finally a strike against class discrimination. Any one of us could become homeless if we had a stroke of bad luck.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Why is abortion legal but not euthanasia? We can kill babies that have no say but not adults that do? I say offer them voluntary euthanasia as part of the solution. Those who take it get a one week vacation prior to the procedure, the beet treatment they have ever had. Known beforehand is that they are being slowly poisoned throughout the week.
They could pay the families of bums and crack heads so that the city can collect their organs for working New Yorkers that need them.

Old 07-09-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midtown07 View Post
From my experience working with the homeless youth population, it goes hand in hand. Homelessness leads to mental health deterioration and Mental Illness also leads to homelessness for some folks.
Can confirm that I started hallucinating after staying up for 4 days straight. A lot of times tunnel dwellers are told to move along in the train station so they inevitably get 1 or 2 nights of sleep every 7 days.

Old 07-09-2019, 09:55 AM

155 posts, read 121,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsquirrel View Post
Can confirm that I started hallucinating after staying up for 4 days straight. A lot of times tunnel dwellers are told to move along in the train station so they inevitably get 1 or 2 nights of sleep every 7 days.

I can only imagine. Now add on top of that all the elements of being underground and not eating or bathing. (At least for some)

Old 07-09-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midtown07 View Post
I can only imagine. Now add on top of that all the elements of being underground and not eating or bathing. (At least for some)
Yeah this is true of subway dwellers, but there are ostensibly homeless people who are more sane than average. One person I knew in college were associated with a cluster of people inhabiting Washington Square Park. The park guys moved like a gang to pickpocket tourists and they lived behind bushes and spent the proceeds on socializing at bars.

Old 07-10-2019, 03:10 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
Really no point of issuing summons to homeless, they got nothing else to lose, and the only party has something to lose are cops that wasting time on giving these homeless people a summon for which they are not going to show up and do anything about it.
There is a point, they get slapped with a ticket and if they don't pay or show up for court they get thrown in jail. One less homeless in the subway, they do it again rinse and repeat. A sizable # of them eventually get the memo and find some other place

Old 07-10-2019, 03:21 PM

31,908 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
There is a point, they get slapped with a ticket and if they don't pay or show up for court they get thrown in jail. One less homeless in the subway, they do it again rinse and repeat. A sizable # of them eventually get the memo and find some other place
Except it is a huge waste of time and resources. Most NYPD I know say they'd much rather unload a homeless on EMT/send them to ER than deal with the hot mess of arresting and processing.

They've got nothing, no place to go, or whatever so one or two nights with hots and a cot is heaven.

Now that weather is nice most homeless are out and about above ground anyway. UES lately has been infested with them all over; sleeping in doorways/on sidewalks/benches/bus shelters, hitting garbage bags for food or whatever, etc.....

There are a few hardcore that have their subway spots like the lady who is at 86th Q subway nightly with her huge cart of stuff.

Even the 33rd street Q station which is normally infested with homeless has pretty much cleared out now that warm weather has arrived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: