Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 06:23 PM

11,597 posts, read 12,633,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
care to venture a guess as to why that might be the case?
I think you know the answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2019, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
Well, that investment might well get washed away by the next hurricane "Randy" long before it turns to gold...people just prefer to forget...rockways are pretty but i would build bungalows there, which I can afford to lose when the ocean gets angry once in a while.
You know, prior to Sandy, the last hurricane to do any real damage was in 1960, hurricane Donna. My aunt's house got flooded. With the increase in storms, climate change, and so forth, I am not sure about the future.

Old 06-24-2019, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
I wonder how Breezy Point is doing after the last hurricane.
When I was back there a few years ago, it looked pretty good, even the part that had the fire.

My family settled in Rockaway in the 1880s. I've had family and friends living there until just a few years ago. My family was very involved in the community, local politics, local schools, and the (visual and performing) arts scene. I have one set of elderly friends, holdouts in a private home in Arverne, who have stayed on even after Sandy. They never evacuated during Sandy and I don't know how they managed the aftermath, but they are still there.

Old 06-24-2019, 07:43 PM

8,923 posts, read 4,730,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
When I was back there a few years ago, it looked pretty good, even the part that had the fire.

My family settled in Rockaway in the 1880s. I've had family and friends living there until just a few years ago. My family was very involved in the community, local politics, local schools, and the (visual and performing) arts scene. I have one set of elderly friends, holdouts in a private home in Arverne, who have stayed on even after Sandy. They never evacuated during Sandy and I don't know how they managed the aftermath, but they are still there.
Wow. Thanks for the update. Glad they're ok. Those fires were devastating to watch. My eyes were glued on Dean Meminger (NY1 Far Rockaway correspondent and resident) giving a live update/broadcast of Far Rockaway during the height of the storm. Felt scared for him. He was by the steps of some house (I hope it wasn't his!) and each time it was his turn to come back on, he was at a higher step with cars floating by him at a fast rate.

Old 06-24-2019, 09:03 PM

17,876 posts, read 15,837,360 times
I think I have been to Rockaway Beach. I think. I am not sure because, I do not see what is so great.

Can someone tell me an intersection in Rockaway Beach to visit?

Old 06-24-2019, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I think I have been to Rockaway Beach. I think. I am not sure because, I do not see what is so great.

Can someone tell me an intersection in Rockaway Beach to visit?
"Rockaway Beach" is a neighborhood that is part of the Rockaway Peninsula.
Years ago, I would have suggested visiting Playland, but that is long gone.
It's very narrow so the bay side and the ocean side are only separated by a few blocks.
The best part is to watch the sunset while walking on the boardwalk or a sunrise.
I guess 116th if you like small shops or Riis Park if you are into that sort of thing. Fort Tilden has been turned into a park
There are beautiful modern beach style homes in Breezy Point and older upscale homes in Neponsit. Bayswater has nice looking large homes, but the neighborhood and the surrounding neighborhood isn't so great.
You can see the Manhattan skyline from the bay
Rent/bring your own boat and sail/motor/row on the bay side
Fish if you dare in Jamaica bay or in the ocean for bluefish and bass
Bring/Rent a surfboard, best season is Sept-Nov

Rockaway's hey day was 1910-1960. A true resort town with hotels and seasonal bungalows for rent.

Old 06-26-2019, 06:24 AM

16,019 posts, read 6,766,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
I wonder how Breezy Point is doing after the last hurricane.

Folks who truly lover the water know 2 things of great importance.
Hurricanes eventually end up in rebuilding and beautifying and also keep the
rest of the non sea fairing population out .......................

and yes..............the Rockaways have rebounded for over a hundred years.............

Old 06-26-2019, 09:00 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,889,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Folks who truly lover the water know 2 things of great importance.
Hurricanes eventually end up in rebuilding and beautifying and also keep the
rest of the non sea fairing population out .......................

and yes..............the Rockaways have rebounded for over a hundred years.............
Plus waterfront properties are prime real estate. Moses was an idiot to dump housing projects in Brooklyn and Queens prime beach areas.

That is being undone by a variety of factors.

So the Rockaway will continue to grow.

Old 06-26-2019, 07:33 PM

17,876 posts, read 15,837,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
"Rockaway Beach" is a neighborhood that is part of the Rockaway Peninsula.
Years ago, I would have suggested visiting Playland, but that is long gone.
It's very narrow so the bay side and the ocean side are only separated by a few blocks.
The best part is to watch the sunset while walking on the boardwalk or a sunrise.
I guess 116th if you like small shops or Riis Park if you are into that sort of thing. Fort Tilden has been turned into a park
There are beautiful modern beach style homes in Breezy Point and older upscale homes in Neponsit. Bayswater has nice looking large homes, but the neighborhood and the surrounding neighborhood isn't so great.
You can see the Manhattan skyline from the bay
Rent/bring your own boat and sail/motor/row on the bay side
Fish if you dare in Jamaica bay or in the ocean for bluefish and bass
Bring/Rent a surfboard, best season is Sept-Nov

Rockaway's hey day was 1910-1960. A true resort town with hotels and seasonal bungalows for rent.
So 116th St and what cross street?

Old 06-26-2019, 08:27 PM

1,393 posts, read 706,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
So 116th St and what cross street?
Rockaway Beach Blvd. B116 street is only about 2 blocks long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City