Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2019, 09:58 AM

8,936 posts, read 4,766,834 times

Advertisements

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs...ing-across-nyc

NEW YORK - Another New York staple is slowly fading away. In its heyday, there were more than two dozen Ricky’s locations in the city.

"I live and die for Ricky’s so it’s crazy," said one shopper.

"It’s a nice place and I like it. It’s sad that they’re closing their business," noted another shopper.

The beloved beauty chain was once a major destination for colorful wigs, exotic cosmetics and Halloween costumes, but even some of their loyal customers have been turning to Internet for their items.

"Sephora and the Internet are now a big thing. Nobody goes to Ricky’s unless there a New Yorker who have been here forever like myself," said one shopper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2019, 02:34 PM

4,771 posts, read 6,568,333 times
I had just been wondering about Ricky's. I live near the East Village location, and i guess I didn't realize Ricky's was in trouble.

Ricky's used to be the only place you could get salon-quality shampoos and styling aids. Now, even places like Harmon have a good selection. And I guess there are costume shops where you can go year-round that are competition for Ricky's. I will really miss Ricky's sense of fun and originality. They carried a lot of quirky products and had attitude! Sorry to see Ricky's go!

Old 06-20-2019, 06:52 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
I had just been wondering about Ricky's. I live near the East Village location, and i guess I didn't realize Ricky's was in trouble.

I will really miss Ricky's sense of fun and originality. They carried a lot of quirky products and had attitude! Sorry to see Ricky's go!
Yeah. It was a nice place to hang out and browse if you had time to kill.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:32 PM

34,088 posts, read 47,285,846 times
RIP to Ricky's

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 06-20-2019, 08:23 PM

15,842 posts, read 14,476,031 times
I think they overexpanded into expensive leases as the internet was starting to steal their business. There was one by me. The one time of year they were really busy was Halloween.

Old 06-20-2019, 08:50 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,236,177 times
They are a fun store but their prices where always more. I rarely bought from them.
I'm guilty of internet shopping. I hate going to stores now, I'd rather wait a week for something and get a better price then go to a store and have it now. This week I actually went to a store in person to get a certain item, they were out of it so online I went. Should've done that to begin with but wanted to support a nyc business.

Old 06-20-2019, 09:34 PM

31,907 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Ricky's still has a store on UES (Second Avenue) unless it has closed recently.

As for the online advantage it will be interesting to see how long or if it really matters now that NYS recently passed an internet tax bill. Ebay and other "facilitator" sites like Etsy will now have to collect applicable sales taxes for NYS resident purchases. Worse NYS piles on sales taxes on top of delivery/shipping charges.

Old 06-21-2019, 05:00 PM

15,842 posts, read 14,476,031 times
Amazon has been collecting tax for years now. Hasn't seemed to slow them down.

The big advantages of selling over the internet are the economies of scale, lower wages (no pesky $15 minimum wage to contend with), much cheaper real estate costs, much lower state and local taxes (other than sales tax), etc.. Out in the country, this may not be as big an advantage. But in NYC, these are huge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

As for the online advantage it will be interesting to see how long or if it really matters now that NYS recently passed an internet tax bill. Ebay and other "facilitator" sites like Etsy will now have to collect applicable sales taxes for NYS resident purchases. Worse NYS piles on sales taxes on top of delivery/shipping charges.

Old 06-22-2019, 06:57 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

It's on THIRD Ave., isn't it? Between 88th and 89th IIRC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: