Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 05:55 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,662,820 times

Advertisements

I'm making a point of posting this because I found it very perturbing that posters here were insulting him as mayor before he'd even settled into office, sounding suspiciously like shills. And most of the insults aren't backed with facts.

Stop Sneering at Bill de Blasio
He shouldn’t run for president, but he’s been a good mayor.

Conventional wisdom holds that de Blasio is a joke, a sanctimonious dork held in widespread contempt by the city he governs. New York’s tabloids despise him. His presidential bid has been greeted with a combination of sneering, eye-rolling and baffled pity.

I’m as confused as everyone else about why de Blasio is running for president. But the mockery greeting his every move obscures what a successful mayor he’s been, particularly for working- and middle-class families. In addition to free pre-K, he’s increased the minimum wage for city workers to $15 an hour, expanded a law mandating paid sick leave and set a record in financing affordable housing. In his book about de Blasio, former Daily News columnist Juan González estimated that the mayor’s policies delivered at least $21 billion in benefits to ordinary New Yorkers... Contrary to dire warnings from de Blasio’s opponents, crime in the city has dropped to record lows. In 2017, he was re-elected in a landslide, the first Democratic mayor to win a second term in New York City since the 1980s.

And the whole article:
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/17/o...asio-2020.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2019, 05:58 PM

1,757 posts, read 2,145,005 times

Old 06-23-2019, 06:41 PM

31,902 posts, read 26,954,113 times
Had to give it to you for that one.

Old 06-23-2019, 07:16 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,286,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I'm making a point of posting this because I found it very perturbing that posters here were insulting him as mayor before he'd even settled into office, sounding suspiciously like shills. And most of the insults aren't backed with facts.

Conventional wisdom holds that de Blasio is a joke, a sanctimonious dork held in widespread contempt by the city he governs. New York’s tabloids despise him. His presidential bid has been greeted with a combination of sneering, eye-rolling and baffled pity.

I’m as confused as everyone else about why de Blasio is running for president. But the mockery greeting his every move obscures what a successful mayor he’s been, particularly for working- and middle-class families. In addition to free pre-K, he’s increased the minimum wage for city workers to $15 an hour, expanded a law mandating paid sick leave and set a record in financing affordable housing. In his book about de Blasio, former Daily News columnist Juan González estimated that the mayor’s policies delivered at least $21 billion in benefits to ordinary New Yorkers... Contrary to dire warnings from de Blasio’s opponents, crime in the city has dropped to record lows. In 2017, he was re-elected in a landslide, the first Democratic mayor to win a second term in New York City since the 1980s.

And the whole article:
LMAO... I'd make a comment if I could stop laughing...

Old 06-23-2019, 07:47 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,612,401 times
Quote:

And the whole article:
Some of the things he did in his first term were positive and perhaps needed, but the question is this sustainable. The city's budget has gone up from about 60~ Billion in the last Bloomberg term to >90 Billion today. He's also the recipient of one of the most massive economic booms of the post war era. Dinkins, another highly derided mayor, to his credit had to fight a vicious recession and a massive urban drug epidemic to achieve any real gains. DeBlasio has faced no such headwinds.

In short, it will take at least a full post-DeBlasio mayoral term to truly begin to asses what his legacy will be to the city. Some mayors reverberate for generations (LaGuardia, Lindsay, Guliani, Bloomberg) and others seem to just be footnotes (Koch, Beame, Wagner).

Old 06-23-2019, 08:51 PM

19,038 posts, read 13,951,921 times
This is still the United States.

We can say whatever we want about whoever we want.

And there’s absolutely nothing you can do about that.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 06-23-2019, 09:14 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,714,563 times
Quote:
Sure, if in your language 'good' means an absolute disaster and one of the top 3 worst mayors in the history of New York City dating back to New Amsterdam

Old 06-23-2019, 09:21 PM

34,229 posts, read 18,569,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
This is still the United States.

We can say whatever we want about whoever we want.

And there’s absolutely nothing you can do about that.
Wait. That sounds like Hate Speech, I'm sure many New Yorkers would agree with me.

Old 06-24-2019, 05:11 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,612,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Wait. That sounds like Hate Speech, I'm sure many New Yorkers would agree with me.

I'm offended. Reported to mods. Respect my snowflake.

Old 06-24-2019, 05:48 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,354,335 times
Quote:

And the whole article:

These examples given by this writer do not help middle-class families. They probably do not even help a large chunk of working-class families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City