Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 12:56 PM

1,034 posts, read 673,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I feel the same way. I am 65 and have never felt more vulnerable on the roads since cell phones have become popular.

We have all been behind that driver who all of a sudden slows down and starts drifting here and there.....and you know they have their nose stuck in their phone.

Now, put that driver next to you, behind you or in the opposite lane coming towards you and you start to feel like a sitting duck.

There are so many accidents now that happen on nice straight two lane roads with very little traffic, no rain, no snow and BANG......one drifts left of center and someone ends up dead.....or one plows into the rear end of a car at a stop sign.......or a car goes a couple hundred feet off the road and ends up in a field, in the woods or quite literally, in someone's living room.

You look at these accidents and wonder how the hell did they happen?......and the only answer is someone had their nose in their phone, not even looking at the road.

People have been sipping their coffee, smoking their cigarettes, yelling at their kids in the back seat for decades, it was only when cell phones came onto the scene that the amount of distracted driving accidents EXPLODED.

I would like to see driving while using a cell phone treated just like DUI's.....and that means your phone can be used as evidence against you just like a breath or blood test. If you were on your phone right before you were pulled over, you are TOAST. The punishment should be the same as a DUI.....huge fines, 3 days in jail etc. for the first offense.

Think about it. Someone who is driving a drink or two over the limit is usually trying to drive very carefully to avoid a DUI vs someone who is not even looking at the road. Which is worse?

Thanks, all very good points here. I wasn't even aware that cell phones have become responsible for many more accidents on the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2019, 12:59 PM

144 posts, read 324,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
This is only a problem for people who speed
Bingo

Old 06-26-2019, 01:16 PM

1,424 posts, read 726,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speediestevie View Post
Ultimately that's correct, but I really get irked by drivers who look at their phones instead of the road..Many of the slow drivers look at their phones !!! Speeding bothers me less lol.
Agreed. Back when I lived in NYC I always ignored any phone calls or text messages I recieve when driving. If it's urgent, I pull over (which is easy to do in NYC).

Old 06-27-2019, 08:37 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,367,724 times
I'm not from here but I mostly see this kind of thing as a revenue machine and not so much to help increase safety on the roads.

Old 06-27-2019, 08:47 AM

2,315 posts, read 1,152,710 times
Revenue scheme!! Revenue scheme!!

Old 06-29-2019, 12:54 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,331,224 times
Ok so I was driving around my area of BK today and all of the 25 mph speed limit signs I saw clearly state “camera enforced†right under the speed limit posting. Big and bold. So if you see the speed limit sign, which you should be paying attention to anyway, you’ll see the sign that there are cameras. So the arguments that this is *just* a money grab and a better deterrent is notice warning there is a camera is moot- there ARE notices saying that there are cameras...right under the sign telling you the speed limit.

Old 06-29-2019, 04:14 PM

4,198 posts, read 4,087,142 times
Put speed cameras on the parkways and expressways and ticket any vehicle doing 85 and over. If the concern is really speeding, there is no reason why cars should be allowed to routinely do 85 and higher on the Grand Central Parkway and other city highways. There would be no shortage of tickets.

Old 06-29-2019, 04:22 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
Revenue scheme!! Revenue scheme!!
Exactly.

Those who say its only a problem for those who speed, where do you draw the line? That same rationale would apply if the speed limit was lowered to 15 MPH and they installed cameras. There has to be a point where something is too ridiculous to be taken seriously. Most traffic deaths occur from vehicles striking pedestrians that are going above 25 MPH: https://www.thecarcrashdetective.com...se-with-speed/

That said, given that there is an almost 10MPH buffer before the cameras would start snapping photos, I can't be too upset about the increase. As the study I posted above shows, if you're struck by a car going 35MPH, there is a 45% chance you won't survive. This as opposed to the 95% chance you'll survive if struck by a car going 20MPH.

Old 06-29-2019, 04:28 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,904,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Exactly.

Those who say its only a problem for those who speed, where do you draw the line? That same rationale would apply if the speed limit was lowered to 15 MPH and they installed cameras. There has to be a point where something is too ridiculous to be taken seriously. Most traffic deaths occur from vehicles striking pedestrians that are going above 25 MPH: https://www.thecarcrashdetective.com...se-with-speed/

That said, given that there is an almost 10MPH buffer before the cameras would start snapping photos, I can't be too upset about the increase. As the study I posted above shows, if you're struck by a car going 35MPH, there is a 45% chance you won't survive. This as opposed to the 95% chance you'll survive if struck by a car going 20MPH.
If it gets ridiculous enough, the politicians who support it won't get voted back into office. Seems like there's enough public support for the 25 mph speed limit for it to not be considered ridiculous though.

Old 07-01-2019, 12:20 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Ok so I was driving around my area of BK today and all of the 25 mph speed limit signs I saw clearly state “camera enforced” right under the speed limit posting. Big and bold. So if you see the speed limit sign, which you should be paying attention to anyway, you’ll see the sign that there are cameras. So the arguments that this is *just* a money grab and a better deterrent is notice warning there is a camera is moot- there ARE notices saying that there are cameras...right under the sign telling you the speed limit.
They don't write that for all the signs, and the ones they do are not actually exactly at the speed trap

But the signs are meaningless because they have them lots of places where there's no camera in the area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City