Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2019, 07:33 PM

16,202 posts, read 6,957,101 times

Advertisements

Opinion:

I hope y'all are aware that the city has up to 2 months to deliver that citation by mail to your house.
This is where the the state has become criminally negligent.

Once fines start popping up in the mail by the dozens due to hidden cameras folks will be up in arms.
Doesn't matter if you are 1,2,3,4,or even 5 miles above this ridiculous speed limit of 25 mph.

The city is desperate for a severe revenue windfall and this is the focus of concentration!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 09:03 PM

19,105 posts, read 12,797,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
To update this thread, I hereby rescind any and all criticism I have for speed cameras. Given the advent of outstanding, user-driven GPS applications like WAZE--which allow people to input speed traps and real time police locations--these speed traps and similar efforts have become useless for those in the know

Seriously, where I live now seems like it has way more speed cameras and speed traps than anywhere in NYC, but I still feel comfortable safely driving above the speed limit as WAZE alerts me to where and when I need to slow it back down some
Hate waze, it's like MTV on steroids - way too busy

Google maps does have the cameras on there now, BUT you have to be on a navigation path for them to appear

But anyone with a brain will use waze or maps to avoid these, it's the morons & low class people that will keep getting dinged, not pay the fines, then end up getting impounded and losing their jobs

Old 08-13-2019, 01:47 AM

107,134 posts, read 109,499,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Opinion:

I hope y'all are aware that the city has up to 2 months to deliver that citation by mail to your house.

Once fines start popping up in the mail by the dozens due to hidden cameras folks will be up in arms.
Doesn't matter if you are 1,2,3,4,or even 5 miles above this ridiculous speed limit of 25 mph.

The city is desperate for a severe revenue windfall and this is the focus of concentration!
the cameras are set for 10 mph over the limit

6am to 10pm monday through friday

"fines for speed-camera violations remain unchanged at $50, issued to those who exceed posted speed limits by more than 10 MPH.
The notices of liability are issued by DOT via mail to the owner of the vehicle – and are adjudicated at the New York City Department of Finance."

Old 08-13-2019, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
"fines for speed-camera violations remain unchanged at $50"
that's actually better than most places, everywhere else tacks on Nazi fees like Long Island:

"To clarify, the fine for a red-light violation statewide is $50, and the late-payment penalty is $25. Both are set by the state.

In Nassau, there’s an additional $55 public-safety fee and a $45 driver-responsibility fee, which brings the total in Nassau to $150, compared with $80 in fines and fees in Suffolk."

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/...era-1.19190091

How the **** can there be a driver responsibility fee if by statute the registered owner and NOT the driver is at fault??

Old 08-13-2019, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
that's actually better than most places, everywhere else tacks on Nazi fees like Long Island:

"To clarify, the fine for a red-light violation statewide is $50, and the late-payment penalty is $25. Both are set by the state.

In Nassau, there’s an additional $55 public-safety fee and a $45 driver-responsibility fee, which brings the total in Nassau to $150, compared with $80 in fines and fees in Suffolk."

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/...era-1.19190091

How the **** can there be a driver responsibility fee if by statute the registered owner and NOT the driver is at fault??
you are accountable for who you loan your car to i guess

Old 08-13-2019, 09:11 AM

2,324 posts, read 1,171,204 times
Revenue $cam!! Revenue $cam!! Revenue $cam!! Revenue $cam!! Revenue $cam!! Revenue $cam!! Revenue $cam!! Revenue $cam!! Revenue $cam!! Revenue $cam!!

Old 08-13-2019, 02:29 PM

30,735 posts, read 18,414,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Hate waze, it's like MTV on steroids - way too busy

Google maps does have the cameras on there now, BUT you have to be on a navigation path for them to appear

But anyone with a brain will use waze or maps to avoid these, it's the morons & low class people that will keep getting dinged, not pay the fines, then end up getting impounded and losing their jobs
You can change your settings on Waze to only be alerted to certain things/have certain things show up on your map. I personally only care about speed traps, red light cameras, and police sightings, though I allow more to show up.

As for Google Maps, I haven't had such luck getting cameras to show up along my route (when I am actually using a navigational path). In any event, even if Maps does have that (and I just don't know how to make appear), I'll stick with Waze for its other features, too!

Old 08-13-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
even if Maps does have that (and I just don't know how to make appear), I'll stick with Waze for its other features, too!
Some people have an extra phone for the sole purpose of showing a map app

Old 09-23-2019, 10:25 PM

2 posts, read 929 times
This is crazy. I got one of these speeding camere light tickets in the mail when i was driving on Utopia Parkway in Whitestone.
I was going to Patsy's pizzeria. Here's the thing that stunned me.
They said i was going 40 miles an hour at 9 PM
What children are in school at 9 PM
This is the biggest scam in history.

Cuomo is no different then these Nigerian scam artists.
Someone told me something interesting. Cuomo didn't put these speed camera lights in Upstate NY.
Why, cause there perceived as poor.
I'm going to complain to Patsy's. I'm going to tell them, you better tell your local officials to take away these speed camera's or i'm never going to Patsy's again. These speed camera's are going to hurt all these business on Utopia parkway cause people aren't going to go to them.

Old 09-24-2019, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Opinion:

they are set at 35 mph
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City