Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2019, 03:07 PM

4,171 posts, read 4,049,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Maybe people learned their lesson the hard way after AOC was elected in a similar way in an election very few except her fervent supporters showed up for. This is exactly the reason I personally went and voted for Katz, not because I have a great love for Katz but because I consider myself a moderate Democrat and am not interested in having all of my elected officials be extreme progressives. That may have motivated more people to get their votes in the mail, especially military, which I think tends to be a large percentage of mail in votes (I could be wrong about that).
If people were concerned about another AOC due to low turnout, then why did only 11% of eligible voters go to the polls? I voted for Caban as a vote AGAINST Katz and the democratic machine. Katz has zero criminal justice experience yet the Dem machine wanted to hand her the job. It's a modern day Tammany Hall. I think Lasak was the most qualified but he was an awful candidate and the mailings I got from him were all about him freeing the "wrongfully convicted". He should have run as the law and order candidate instead of as a pretend liberal. Plus he looks about 80. I knew he wouldn't win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2019, 04:41 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,077,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
If people were concerned about another AOC due to low turnout, then why did only 11% of eligible voters go to the polls? I voted for Caban as a vote AGAINST Katz and the democratic machine. Katz has zero criminal justice experience yet the Dem machine wanted to hand her the job. It's a modern day Tammany Hall. I think Lasak was the most qualified but he was an awful candidate and the mailings I got from him were all about him freeing the "wrongfully convicted". He should have run as the law and order candidate instead of as a pretend liberal. Plus he looks about 80. I knew he wouldn't win.
I’m offering a theory about why people felt inclined to send in mail in votes , especially military. Of course it’s just a theory, that’s all. Take it or leave it.

Old 07-04-2019, 08:59 PM

30,580 posts, read 18,084,654 times
Quote:
Katz will not be perceived as the legitimate winner but if history is any predictor for D.A. elections she won't face a serious challenge for re-election so it's a moot point.

Caban's supporters were more passionate so I think it's surprising that she didn't get as many paper ballots as Katz. Whatever you think of Katz, she doesn't inspire a lot of enthusiasm. She's more like the "ok I've heard of her" candidate. I don't see a lot of people going crazy to get their absentee ballots in for her when turnout was so low overall.
She'll be perceived as legitimate by the plurality that she won by (if it holds) and, as you mentioned, likely will keep the seat until she voluntarily retires. Also, it wont shock me if Caban got many votes because of her last name; many of the voters guilty of this would have just pulled a lever and aren't really following things otherwise I'd wager.

Old 07-04-2019, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
You mean Caban would stop prosecuting poor people for sex work and for drug possession offenses? This needs to happen. Even if she loses the fact that she cane so close is great. Still hoping after the recount she wins.
Reasonable people will disagree over whether such is good policy. My problem is largely with how she'd achieve these goals (should be via the legislature, not blanket prosecutorial discretion). And we dont need such partisan hacks serving as a chief law enforcement officer. May her defeat be confirmed by recount.

Old 07-04-2019, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Not even close.

Old 07-05-2019, 12:55 AM

202 posts, read 685,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
How sick is it that skell progressives want sex workers on your streets, operating with impunity? I suppose they figure if they can normalize degeneracy in your kids as early as possible, the odds of them becoming loyal progressive drones increases astronomically.

If I ever see a prostitute in front of my house, I will beat the crap out of her, then wait for the pimp and demolish him as well, possibly using weapons. If the legal system won't do it for me, I'll do it myself. Just as I've chased drug users out of my development many times in the past, sex workers will get the same treatment, maybe worse.
Oh please. You’re probably the type to hide behind your living room curtain and call 911 when you see kids smoking weed.

Old 07-05-2019, 02:19 AM

18,964 posts, read 13,852,338 times
Sometimes I wish I was born that way. It would be much easier.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 07-05-2019, 04:36 AM

31,764 posts, read 26,734,061 times
As I've been saying, term limits has given this city nothing but a game of political musical chairs.

So far don't like any of the persons in Queens DA race on democrat side, but fact that the Katz woman is a career politician is one strike against her in my book.

She would have been term limited out as Queens BP after 2021, so the democratic machine does what it knows best; slips Katz into the DA seat (which isn't term limited) and mark my words they've got a replacement lined up for the vacant BP seat.

Democratic machine pulls this stunt over and over again.

Fearing the incompetent Robert T. Johnson was going to lose his re-election bid he "resigned" and was manouvered into a state judge seat, the lo and behold Darcel Clark was slipped into the Bronx DA office.

Old 07-05-2019, 06:30 AM

4,171 posts, read 4,049,296 times
Katz has run for and been elected in some cases to the NY State Assembly, Congress, NYC Council, NYC Comptroller, Borough President, and now D.A.

Can anyone name a single accomplishment of hers? Wikipedia cites something about women's access to gynecological care, as if they were denied such care before Katz came along. She's a hack politician who runs for any available position and when not in office she was in another city patronage job. And don't forget she spun the tale of conceiving two kids with showman Curtis Sliwa through in vitro fertilization while actually being in a romantic relationship with him.

Queens deserves someone better than Katz.

Quote:
Katz served as a Member of the New York State Assembly from 1994 to 1999, representing Queens' 28th District, which included Forest Hills, Rego Park, and parts of Middle Village and Glendale.

In 1998, Katz ran for Congress from New York's 9th congressional district, which was the seat held by Chuck Schumer, who was running for the U.S. Senate. She was defeated narrowly by 285 votes in the tightly contested vote, with Anthony Weiner winning the primary, and the subsequent general election.

Katz then became Director of Community Boards for the Office of the Queens Borough President from 1999 to 2002,[1] before winning a seat on the New York City Council, where she served from 2002 to 2009), representing the 29th Council District, which included Forest Hills, Rego Park, Kew Gardens and parts of Maspeth, South Elmhurst and Richmond Hill.

In June 2009 she was the only woman running in the Democratic Primary for New York City Comptroller, but came in third place in a four way race.

In 2012, Katz announced her plans to run for Queens Borough President in 2013. She was endorsed by Congresswoman Grace Meng, Councilman Leroy Comrie and the 1199 Hospital Workers Union. She won the Democratic nomination and the general election easily in 2013 and was re-elected in 2017.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melinda_Katz

Old 07-05-2019, 09:29 AM

33,914 posts, read 47,099,714 times
Quote:
Katz has run for and been elected in some cases to the NY State Assembly, Congress, NYC Council, NYC Comptroller, Borough President, and now D.A.

Can anyone name a single accomplishment of hers? Wikipedia cites something about women's access to gynecological care, as if they were denied such care before Katz came along. She's a hack politician who runs for any available position and when not in office she was in another city patronage job. And don't forget she spun the tale of conceiving two kids with showman Curtis Sliwa through in vitro fertilization while actually being in a romantic relationship with him.

Queens deserves someone better than Katz.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melinda_Katz

My thoughts to this whole thread

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City