Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 01:30 PM

1,035 posts, read 673,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsquirrel View Post
>As somebody who actually lives in Hell’s kitchen , I don’t think any big number of actual gay people live in the area . They might but many gays are in the neighborhood for the summer because of the pride parade and all the gay bars in the neighborhood.

Yeah, exactly, like how most Chinese people can't afford to reside in Flushing and most Central Americans can't afford to reside in Corona. I don't think Hell's Kitchen is a residential neighborhood at all, although there is a project nearby.

I see transvestites on trains going to the Bronx if I take the train later at night, but I don't see them often. I know there's a few gay bars in Elmhurst, but am not sure where they are and I've seen trans people in that area as well. I don't know if there is a gay bar in the Bronx at all.
If you don't see residences throughout HK visually, this very website where we're posting has information on neighborhoods in NYC:

//www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...w-York-NY.html

It says there are 52k residents in this small neighborhood.

Flushing has a very large Chinese population; Corona has a large Central American and Latin population generally. If they can't afford to live there, then who lives there?

There appears to be gay bars in the Bronx.... google is your friend
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2019, 02:12 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,602,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speediestevie View Post
If you don't see residences throughout HK visually, this very website where we're posting has information on neighborhoods in NYC:

//www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...w-York-NY.html

It says there are 52k residents in this small neighborhood.

Flushing has a very large Chinese population; Corona has a large Central American and Latin population generally. If they can't afford to live there, then who lives there?

There appears to be gay bars in the Bronx.... google is your friend
Exactly, Flushing and Corona are arguably the hubs of both respective ethnic groups. The rents aren't really much different from other places you'd find these groups.

Old 07-03-2019, 09:15 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
>As somebody who actually lives in Hell’s kitchen , I don’t think any big number of actual gay people live in the area . They might but many gays are in the neighborhood for the summer because of the pride parade and all the gay bars in the neighborhood.

Yeah, exactly, like how most Chinese people can't afford to reside in Flushing and most Central Americans can't afford to reside in Corona. I don't think Hell's Kitchen is a residential neighborhood at all, although there is a project nearby.

I see transvestites on trains going to the Bronx if I take the train later at night, but I don't see them often. I know there's a few gay bars in Elmhurst, but am not sure where they are and I've seen trans people in that area as well. I don't know if there is a gay bar in the Bronx at all.
The gay bars in Jackson Heights are on Roosevelt Avenue. 74th and Broadway and 76th-80th and Roosevelt Avenue. There’s another around 84th and 37th Avenue.

Old 07-03-2019, 09:37 AM

1,199 posts, read 725,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The gay bars in Jackson Heights are on Roosevelt Avenue. 74th and Broadway and 76th-80th and Roosevelt Avenue. There’s another around 84th and 37th Avenue.
Cool, which ones would you recommend to see drag / vogue balls?

Old 07-03-2019, 12:31 PM

88 posts, read 84,731 times
this is such a clueless question, the LGBTQ community goes where they can afford and be around their peers... as they gentrify neighborhoods, they end up having to leave, they are in Hells kitchen becasue Chelsea got too expensive and boring, they went there becasue the Village was too expensive... but the whole city is super gay, just happens to be in Hells Kitchen for now....It's not like we made a conscious decision, or we would all have gone to the bronx or something years ago and bought cheap ass apartments and would now all be rich, and the bronx would be more fabulous than ever

Old 07-03-2019, 06:49 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patshep View Post
this is such a clueless question, the LGBTQ community goes where they can afford and be around their peers... as they gentrify neighborhoods, they end up having to leave, they are in Hells kitchen becasue Chelsea got too expensive and boring, they went there becasue the Village was too expensive... but the whole city is super gay, just happens to be in Hells Kitchen for now....It's not like we made a conscious decision, or we would all have gone to the bronx or something years ago and bought cheap ass apartments and would now all be rich, and the bronx would be more fabulous than ever
They are similar in price Chelsea, and HK. They have been for a while.

And LOL, its the LGBT who gentrified Chelsea geez.

And even more LOLZ at "its not like we made a conscious decision" only after writing "be around their peers"

That makes it a conscious decision. The fact that you did not seek out the cheapest possible (like you state) makes it even more so.

Old 07-04-2019, 05:38 PM

1,199 posts, read 725,492 times
How do gays gentrify areas? Don't gays face job discrimination and tend to work in careers like fashion?

Old 07-04-2019, 06:42 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,602,552 times
Quote:
How do gays gentrify areas? Don't gays face job discrimination and tend to work in careers like fashion?
They have no kids usually, so more disposable income

Old 07-04-2019, 07:08 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,548,044 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
They have no kids usually, so more disposable income
What decade are you guys in? Lots of gay couples have kids now and they aren’t limited any more to formerly “gay” professions like fashion or interior design.

Old 07-04-2019, 07:35 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,238,729 times
What bubble do half the people on this thread live in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City