Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 12:23 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,599,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsquirrel View Post
The DC/Marvel and K-Pop / J-Pop thing is more for people aged 16-24. In my age group, late 20s, being into that makes you a pu $ $ y. We listened to rap, dancehall, reggaeton and hard EDM. But even still, I don't think anyone emulated the rappers. Cardi B is a little younger than me and I was raised almost exactly like she was, with immigrant parents.

I think a lot of the free range parenting thing has to do with the legal system. I think free range kids are illegal in this generation. In my generation some Asian families were investigated by CPS for smacking their kid. Meanwhile people in the older generation had more discipline because they faced the cane and the belt.
If the older generation was "more disciplined", why did they commit more crime?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2019, 12:27 PM

1,199 posts, read 724,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
If the older generation was "more disciplined", why did they commit more crime?
It's probably a bimodal distribution that was caused by people running away from home to avoid getting their butts kicked. The distribution of behaviors today is probably more bell shaped.

Old 07-02-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
It's probably a bimodal distribution that was caused by people running away from home to avoid getting their butts kicked. The distribution of behaviors today is probably more bell shaped.
Or maybe beating your kids doesn't prevent crime. Scandinavia has very, very low crime rate and hitting your kids is looked down upon over there.

Old 07-02-2019, 12:43 PM

1,199 posts, read 724,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Or maybe beating your kids doesn't prevent crime. Scandinavia has very, very low crime rate and hitting your kids is looked down upon over there.
Singapore has a very, very low crime rate and everybody spanks, including the government.

I think we're barking up the wrong tree. I think the problem is that there was less police profiling of teenagers in the previous generation. For example my friend's brother had to get a state ID card when he was 14 because the police kept bothering him randomly.

Meanwhile I knew if I acted out even at an early age I would be locked up and they would throw away the key. I've seen kids as young as 8 get handcuffed for example and the police were often in schools.

Old 07-02-2019, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Singapore has a very, very low crime rate and everybody spanks, including the government. I think we're barking up the wrong tree.
I would much rather live in Sweden or Denmark, Singapore seems like a dystopia. There are plenty of places with "strict parents" and extremely high crime rates anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: