Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 11:05 AM

19 posts, read 41,625 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I just want your 2 cents about a situation that my friend has. Her grandfather has a large illegal basement in Brooklyn and he rented it to a guy, Six months in, he told grandpa that he was working things out with his wife and the entire family moved in. Grandpa was a nice guy and let them. Two months in, guy beat the **** out of his wife and got a restraining order. No rent was paid since then, grandpa couldn't get a hold of him via phone. Police came frequently because ongoing family disputes between mom and the kids, they called police on each others more than 20 times in the span of 4 months. Currently, the ex wife and 3 children live in the apartment and refused to leave. All three kids have ACS cases and don't go to school, DOE teachers come once a week. ACS refused to talk to grandpa because it was not her problem. (Her exact words)

What are the option to get them to leave, widowed grandpa is in his 70s and he is willing to offer them some money. If he goes to court, will he need to pay a big fine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2019, 11:07 AM

6,688 posts, read 6,033,238 times
sheeesh, can tenants get anymore troublesome? I would file the case in court myself. If you represent yourself you don't need to pay the big fees. The county clerk will help you with the paperwork.

Old 07-02-2019, 11:14 AM

19 posts, read 41,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
sheeesh, can tenants get anymore troublesome? I would file the case in court myself. If you represent yourself you don't need to pay the big fees. The county clerk will help you with the paperwork.
Grandpa is afraid of the big fine from the city, someone told him it's like 25k. It's really bad because Grandpa lives alone upstairs and he is terrified of running into them. The whole house also smells like I don't know...dead garbage?

Old 07-02-2019, 11:28 AM

6,688 posts, read 6,033,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikibay View Post
Grandpa is afraid of the big fine from the city, someone told him it's like 25k. It's really bad because Grandpa lives alone upstairs and he is terrified of running into them. The whole house also smells like I don't know...dead garbage?
I'm sorry, I forgot about the illegal part! Your grandfather definitely needs the power of an attorney as the tenant doesn't have to pay if they are living in an illegal space. If the court asks to see a certificate of occupancy and grandfather doesn't have it, the tenant will be in a position of power: They will be able to claim they were charged X dollars and also be able to recover any rent they may have paid.

Old 07-02-2019, 06:16 PM

419 posts, read 626,109 times
Poor soul. Don’t rent out basement in this liberal city.

Old 07-02-2019, 06:25 PM

129 posts, read 79,072 times
Aren't basement apts legal now?

Old 07-02-2019, 06:27 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,238,298 times
Get a lawyer for advice

Old 07-04-2019, 09:55 AM

6,150 posts, read 4,516,808 times
Yup, Grandpa will pay through the nose. I knew someone who rented illegally in Queens and paid $30k. You know that going in.

Old 07-05-2019, 07:06 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,848,003 times
In this day and age a kind act will cost you thousands of dollars.
Exactly what the city needs. Instead of paying you to house these miscreants of society
the city prefers to standby and wait for you to err so they can bash the citation bat over your head.

My opinion:
If your home is free and clear, you are doing fine financially, you own a multi dwelling unit, you are up in years, don't rent it out.
This is more common than you think.

Old 07-06-2019, 06:30 AM

2,315 posts, read 1,152,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowplayer2 View Post
Poor soul. Don’t rent out basement in this liberal city.

Definitely! Nothing but trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City