Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 11:41 AM

15,822 posts, read 14,460,687 times

Advertisements

That's not going to happen directly (in terms of getting money from her.) You can probably make her life miserable (by calling in airstrikes from the various agencies), and you could probably stay a long time, likely not paying rent, before someone allows you to be removed.) But the stay likely won't be pleasant.

The question is, how much of your life are you willing to sacrifice to make her life miserable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by throawaytenant9000 View Post
We want to make her pay for our emotional distress and withholding/trashing our mail. She is a very bad person. I'm not even joking. I'm going to make her loose more than money but her dignity. She is a trouble maker. Sad to see landlords in these forums shilling bad info away.

To all of you lanlords, if you have an illegal apartment YOU CANNOT COLLECT RENT. If you are trashing mail THATS A FEDERAL CRIME.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2019, 12:56 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,117,398 times
The most confusing thing about the OP's posts is I don't really understand what happened for the first nearly 8 years that he was living there. The thread starts with an unpleasant incident in May 2019, but if you read further down you see he has lived there for 8 years.

He claims the apartment is a ***hole in the first post. But if it was truly a ***hole, why stay for 8 years? Also, how could it possibly take 8 years to figure out that a basement apartment is an illegal dwelling -- that seems like basic knowledge.

I don't know, something doesn't add up.

Old 07-07-2019, 01:30 PM

2,465 posts, read 2,759,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
The most confusing thing about the OP's posts is I don't really understand what happened for the first nearly 8 years that he was living there. The thread starts with an unpleasant incident in May 2019, but if you read further down you see he has lived there for 8 years.

He claims the apartment is a ***hole in the first post. But if it was truly a ***hole, why stay for 8 years? Also, how could it possibly take 8 years to figure out that a basement apartment is an illegal dwelling -- that seems like basic knowledge.

I don't know, something doesn't add up.
It’s nothing more than spite work on the OPs part, imo.

Old 07-07-2019, 06:30 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,878,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by throawaytenant9000 View Post
Staten Island has an infestation of these Slumlords. .
Bolded the biggest problem with your situation

Old 07-07-2019, 06:32 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,878,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
The question is, how much of your life are you willing to sacrifice to make her life miserable?
Someone's gotta fight back against these old crotchety battle axes

Old 07-08-2019, 09:22 AM

1,239 posts, read 509,859 times
She has not evicted you, you don't need to go anywhere.
If you want to get something out of her, don't move out.

You might have some tenant protections. If her COO isn't valid, she might not legally be able to collect rent from you. Unless she has a court order, her eviction letter means jack ****.

The city is cracking down on landlords who harass their tenants. They are fining landlords, and making them pay tenants that they harassed. I know you've been recording, so keep doing that. Set up a in-home camera like blink if you don't have one, and just record everything.

Old 07-09-2019, 09:11 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,048,523 times
Do nothing, stop paying rent. Landlord may or may not try to evict you in Housing Court but she may know how dangerous that route may be for her, given this is clearly an illegal cellar. Landlord has to admit criminality in court. It is possible, and IMHO likely that landlord will do nothing and you will be able to live rent free for as long as you choose to remain in the cellar.

Open a separate bank account. Call it: <Your name>:escrow. Deposit an amount equal to each months rent into that account.
When and if you move, use that money to pay your new landlord.

Old 07-10-2019, 10:15 AM

7 posts, read 4,983 times
Thank you for all your responses. I want to clarify I was living here for six months.

So, I moved out. Because she disnt stopped harrasing. I threw all my **** outside call the cops. They did ****. I'm taking this to civil court and Sue the heck out of this person.

I have her screaming at me, get your stuff out of my property in front of the police. They didn't so anything. They let everything slide. I'm ready to punish these pos humans to the ground. I couldn't take the harrasing anymore. It was messing me up. I will update.

Old 07-10-2019, 01:09 PM

1,239 posts, read 509,859 times
You lost all leverage by moving out.
Going to be very difficult to do anything now.

Old 07-10-2019, 02:22 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,048,523 times
I agree,
Moving out was a mistake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City