Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 09:36 AM

137 posts, read 138,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
https://apple.news/AbPoPG9hTRoy99L9VD2mVmA

Lights out at 10. No guests. A single bed with people all around. But a short commute and no need to come up with first, last and brokers fee.

What do you think, will it take off in NYC?

this is the dumbest ish yet .... given the income inequality in this city it will 'take off' sadly. this happens currently in the city - SROish spaces in usually immigrant communities ... but honestly individuals should be looking for rent stabilized units in the city instead of these types of housing options and should push thst over this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2019, 09:42 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HipHopSays View Post
this is the dumbest ish yet .... given the income inequality in this city it will 'take off' sadly. this happens currently in the city - SROish spaces in usually immigrant communities ... but honestly individuals should be looking for rent stabilized units in the city instead of these types of housing options and should push thst over this.
When you say "it" already happens in immigrant communities, I think it most likely looks much different, as there are really specific rules in this PodShare place, and even though it's cheap, it's most likely more expensive than those horrible cage places or houses divided up into tons of tiny makeshift rooms like you might find in immigrant communities.

Remember this place ?

https://nypost.com/2013/08/04/life-i...or-10-a-night/

Old 07-07-2019, 12:23 PM

8,373 posts, read 4,391,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
You stayed at a hostel as a visitor, you weren't living there as your only place of living. Two different experiences. When you sell all your places, stuff and moving into one of these pod shares full time, having been there 3 months then report back to us.

The longest I had stayed at a single hostel had been one month (it was great!), am going to stay in two hostels (two different countries) for a month and a half in the near future (am looking forward!). I came to the US in 1983 with two suitcases to my name, and would have gladly stayed at a place like these pods for a couple of starter years (instead, I stayed for the first year in a tool shed on a top of a building in Upstate NY, without heating or phone connection - this was well before cell phones. When I wanted to call family in Europe, I had to put 20 quarters into a public phone on the street. After that, I lived on a couch in the kitchen of a 1-bdrm apartment otherwise occupied by another graduate student couple who had a newborn baby that howled 24/7. I finished a PhD under these living conditions, and successfully lined up a medical residency in a different state. I actually remember these conditions as a rather exciting time of my life).

People who would choose this type of accommodation, these pods (for either a brief or extended time) typically have things to do. They do not sit around studying the housing law to figure out how to screw the landlord, sue the NYCHA, protest this or that. These are typically young kids on the go, or seniors eager to make the best of their remaining time. These are people who will crash anywhere because they have a life that is centered on something other than obsessing whether the wall paint is lead-based or safely edible. I read about a young man who was on a mission to spend 10 years living 6 months each in a different city while doing temporary jobs - one of these pods would be perfect for him.

Last edited by elnrgby; 07-07-2019 at 12:52 PM..

Old 07-07-2019, 12:35 PM

5,121 posts, read 4,971,177 times
Quote:

Lights out at 10. No guests. A single bed with people all around. But a short commute and no need to come up with first, last and brokers fee.

I spent my youth living in school dorms with lots of other people sleeping in bunk beds. Between privacy and fun, I go for the latter because I enjoy having people around me 24/7. It would be my choice if I was still single, but I would be cautious about who I am sharing the pod with because I used to live among a homogeneous population pod mates with clean background.

Old 07-07-2019, 12:39 PM

8,373 posts, read 4,391,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by high iron View Post
The hostel I stayed at in Denver had bedbugs on every surface and everyone in the room was an opioid addict working for a call center.

Well, I don't stay at that type of hostels. There is the Internet nowadays to find out what places are like. Again, I have a good experience with hostels. I had used them in Europe when I was 20ish, then briefly under emergent conditions about a decade ago when I had a building fire (had to stay somewhere emergently until I got organized) - when I was reminded how much I had liked them 30 years earlier, and then used them quite extensively in my 50s, ie, in the last 7 years since my boyfriend died and I've been traveling solo. As I said, slightly more expensive hostels with good online reviews tend to be extremely pleasant places. While the situation with four doctors in the hostel room in Denver was a bit unique, people that I got to meet at good hostels where I have stayed tended to be totally decent, and often amazingly interesting. Even if it didn't save me tons of money, hostel would be my preferred travel accommodation. As a solo traveler, I feel safer sharing a hostel room, plus good/slightly more costly hostels tend to be infinitely nicer and more comfortable than even mid-range hotels.

There are ten or so hostels in Denver. We obviously did not stay at the same one :-).

Last edited by elnrgby; 07-07-2019 at 02:00 PM..

Old 07-08-2019, 09:39 AM

1,408 posts, read 2,034,479 times
I'd rather pay an extra $200-300 or so for some other co-living like Common, where at least you get your own bedroom and no curfew than be in one of these pods for more than a few days.

Old 07-08-2019, 03:54 PM

1,199 posts, read 724,997 times
Why not bring back SROs or a Castle Greyskull homeless shelter style situation where people can rent a cot in a giant, drafty warehouse?

Old 07-08-2019, 07:21 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,672,796 times
Quote:

This fits right in with an article awhile back about the rise in dormitory-style living for young workers.

Old 07-08-2019, 10:31 PM

137 posts, read 138,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
....People who would choose this type of accommodation, these pods (for either a brief or extended time) typically have things to do. They do not sit around studying the housing law to figure out how to screw the landlord, sue the NYCHA, protest this or that. These are typically young kids on the go, or seniors eager to make the best of their remaining time. These are people who will crash anywhere because they have a life that is centered on something other than obsessing whether the wall paint is lead-based or safely edible. ....
i get the plucky immigrant boot-strappy narrative ... but really you're going to blame teething toddlers over the leadership of the biggest public housing portfolio in the country which has one of the most egregious lead paint issues. glad to see you're putting the analytical skills gained during that PhD to work

Quote:
When you say "it" already happens in immigrant communities, I think it most likely looks much different, as there are really specific rules in this PodShare place, and even though it's cheap, it's most likely more expensive than those horrible cage places or houses divided up into tons of tiny makeshift rooms like you might find in immigrant communities.

Remember this place ?

https://nypost.com/2013/08/04/life-i...or-10-a-night/
sadly i do remember this travesty but i was thinking more about the spaces i visited in the city(Queens, Brooklyn) with a friend (a canadian grad student) where it was warehouse space parsed into an SRO-ish space - lock on bed/personal room door with no cooking space bathroom in an external hallway. the cost was slightly more than the pod article stated - i believe it was $45 a day and $1300 for the month for the one she went with. She said most of the folks in the other spaces where folks with J1/H1-B1 visas or fellow students. she explained that the practice in the city is to charge international students/folks upwards to a years worth of rent to move in a space (the rationale given to her was she doesn't have a credit history so the LL is asking for a bigger deposit for the risk of renting to someone without a history).

Last edited by HipHopSays; 07-08-2019 at 10:47 PM..

Old 07-09-2019, 05:37 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,085,355 times
LOL. Meanwhile the rich live in 20 room mansions.

WeWork, WeLive, Podsharing = making the middle class accept mediocre in the guise of cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City