U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2008, 09:01 PM

14 posts, read 37,949 times

Advertisements

My heart is set on moving to NYC and if I had the choice would probably live in the East Village of Manhattan. I went there recently and it was awesome!
But all I hear is how expensive it is so I think I have to count out the Manhattan dream.
I will be flying solo and want a place where you can get drunk at a bar and meet lots of people but at the same time have bars which are upmarket and if you feel like getting dressed up you might just meet a movie stars daughter (probably dreaming).
I am pretty good at going solo but a guy can only go so long without some good mates. My only fear is getting stuck in a tiny place either by myself or with horrible flat mates and not being able to make some friends. Where is the best place to really mix it up? Did I say I was 23? I meant 24. Not that it matters.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 09:19 PM

24 posts, read 202,045 times
I would say that Hudson County in New Jersey or Brooklyn are you best bets, but before you think of going here, make sure you secure a job.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:15 PM

878 posts, read 2,660,405 times
If you decide on Brooklyn, Williamsburg or Greenpoint would be the areas that appear to have what you want. The biggest thing is to secure a job so that you can enjoy what New York has to offer, especially if you like the East Village.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:19 PM

340 posts, read 1,132,752 times
what kind of work do u plan on doing here?

Old 04-15-2008, 05:59 AM

7,079 posts, read 36,557,565 times
First get yourself a visa valid for working. Being illegal will severely restrict any opportunities you have for making any decent salary.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:20 AM

274 posts, read 1,064,665 times
[quote=80schild;3461956]My heart is set on moving to NYC and if I had the choice would probably live in the East Village of Manhattan. I went there recently and it was awesome!

Manhattan is great for a tourist or a short-termer because you don't have to deal with the day to day grind here. And there's a lot of grind.

But all I hear is how expensive it is so I think I have to count out the Manhattan dream.
I will be flying solo and want a place where you can get drunk at a bar and meet lots of people but at the same time have bars which are upmarket and if you feel like getting dressed up you might just meet a movie stars daughter (probably dreaming).

The bar scene is dying in Manhattan. People aren't into getting drunk and partying as much. The typical bar scene is 90% guys.

A typical girls' night out is a 10 or 11 pm dinner at an expensive restaurant with 4-5 friends and then maybe bottle service type clubs.

Forget movie stars/rich girls. You aren't going to get into the same clubs unless you drop at least at few hundred for bottle service or bring 3 or 4 hot girls.

I am pretty good at going solo but a guy can only go so long without some good mates. My only fear is getting stuck in a tiny place either by myself or with horrible flat mates and not being able to make some friends. Where is the best place to really mix it up? Did I say I was 23? I meant 24. Not that it matters.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:46 AM

1,278 posts, read 3,909,993 times
Manhattan is great for a tourist or a short-termer because you don't have to deal with the day to day grind here. And there's a lot of grind.

The bar scene is dying in Manhattan. People aren't into getting drunk and partying as much. The typical bar scene is 90% guys.

A typical girls' night out is a 10 or 11 pm dinner at an expensive restaurant with 4-5 friends and then maybe bottle service type clubs.

Forget movie stars/rich girls. You aren't going to get into the same clubs unless you drop at least at few hundred for bottle service or bring 3 or 4 hot girls.

Don't listen to this. Manhattan has a great bar scene, and you don't have to drop hundreds and hundreds of dollars to meet fun people. If I were you, I think I would get a place with roommates. I have several friends that used Craig's list and were very happy with the results.

Old 04-15-2008, 05:34 PM

Thats what I'm talkin about. Thanks for that. Mahattan's bar scene is dying? Your having a laugh Ace Rock! Anyway I think roomates is the best option both to make things a bit cheaper and hopefully to have someone to hang out with.
I am going to hopefully get an HB1 visa as a model becuase I don't think I can secure a visa with my current work in NZ. If anyone has any advice on which agencies to contact regarding getting a visa for modeling that would be awesome! I am looking to be in New York April/May 2009 so I have a bit of time to sort it out.
Are there plenty of foreigners in Brooklyn? I know Queens is the big melting pot but it sounds like Brooklyn is the place to be and I just want to know if there are going to be plenty of like minded people there.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:27 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,109,023 times
I am exactly your age and live in Brooklyn (border of Cobble Hill and Brooklyn Heights). Yes, there are plenty of young people who aren't from the US around here; most of them are from Europe and Latin America, some are from the Middle East. Haven't met many Aussies or Kiwis but I have met some Brits. Where I am is a bit more "upmarket" than the "hipster" neighborhoods of Williamsburg and Greenpoint; I prefer it here because it is more diverse with a lot more shopping and dining options. There is a good twenty-something bar scene around here as well; in fact, I stay in Brooklyn when I go out about half the time (and the other half of the time I will go to Manhattan). Getting roommates is definitely the best way to meet people at first. Good luck and don't let the high prices discourage you from taking the plunge and moving over here!

Old 04-15-2008, 09:25 PM

Brilliant! Best post yet Crisp444! No Aussies and Kiwis. Great! If I wanted that I would be heading to London with all the others. I like the sound of your neighbourhood but would imagine it's a bit pricier than Williamsburg and Greenpoint. You must be doing alright for yourself?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City