Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 05:54 PM

19 posts, read 14,279 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be moving to Nassau County in a few months but our school district does not offer Pre-K services. We do not want to fork over 10-15k either for pre-K. However my parents live in Queens and a few blocks away from 2 preschools.

Would it be possible for my parents to register my kids for the Queens universal pre-k schools even if we live in Nassau? They have legal residence and proof they live in Queens. My kid would probably stay at their house during the week. Would that be allowed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2019, 08:21 AM

432 posts, read 551,892 times
Move into the city if you want city services.

Old 07-08-2019, 10:59 AM

1,339 posts, read 1,685,018 times
This really irks the **** out of me.

You don't pay city taxes, so you don't get to use our services.

Old 07-08-2019, 12:42 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Pretty sure this is called "residency fraud." Look it up.

Old 07-08-2019, 02:37 PM

3,402 posts, read 3,576,183 times
I’m amaze that people even dare to ask how to do illegal stuff here. Is like asking others for help on committing fraud. What’s wrong with people these days.

Old 07-08-2019, 02:47 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post
This really irks the **** out of me.

You don't pay city taxes, so you don't get to use our services.
And I thank you!

Old 07-08-2019, 04:12 PM

195 posts, read 130,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corgis89 View Post
My wife and I will be moving to Nassau County in a few months but our school district does not offer Pre-K services. We do not want to fork over 10-15k either for pre-K. However my parents live in Queens and a few blocks away from 2 preschools.

Would it be possible for my parents to register my kids for the Queens universal pre-k schools even if we live in Nassau? They have legal residence and proof they live in Queens. My kid would probably stay at their house during the week. Would that be allowed?
Based on NYC Dept of Education's website: https://www.schools.nyc.gov/enrollme...by-grade/pre-k, you must meet the following criteria to enroll your child into pre-k:

Quote:

Who Can Apply?
Every family of a four-year-old in New York City can apply to pre-K. Children born in 2015 will begin pre-K in September 2019.

All children of this age who are also current New York City residents are welcome to apply, including current 3-K students at public district schools, Pre-K Centers, and NYC Early Education Centers (NYCEECs); current students in three-year-old programs at charter schools, private schools, parochial schools, or other preschools; children with disabilities; children with accessibility needs; children learning English; children in temporary housing; LGBTQ and gender nonconforming children; and children who are new to NYC public schools.
If your children are not residents of NYC, it is illegal to use your parents address to enroll them into a NYC free pre-k program.

Old 07-08-2019, 04:33 PM

79 posts, read 66,818 times
Speaking as someone who works in a NYC Public School - please don't. Our preschool programs are already stressed to their max in the majority of our districts and we're constantly trying to create enough seats for the kids who ACTUALLY live in the community.

It's fraud. Plain and simple.

Old 07-08-2019, 07:34 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
I mean, this was part and parcel of moving to Nassau County. If you really want to do pre-k in Queens, then move to Queens!

Old 07-08-2019, 08:35 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corgis89 View Post

Grey area (deep shade of) - if the kids are in Queens 5 days a week then by most definitions they are "residents". However you are not, and the grandparents are not the legal guardians. So technically your parents would probably have to adopt your kids for a year. If you insist on being shady make like you and your husband are separated - he has all his info registered and mailed to long island and you have yours at your parents house. After a year you miraculously kiss and make up in Long Island. Don't forget to file your taxes separately as a NYC resident or then you can really end up being sorry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City