Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you have a library card?
Yes, and I not only check out books, but more (research, author events, gift shop, etc.) 10 19.23%
Yes, I'm in the library quite a bit 12 23.08%
Yes, I have a card, but rarely use it 19 36.54%
No, no card 11 21.15%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 01:47 PM

106,547 posts, read 108,667,917 times

Advertisements

The nyc ID card acts a library card
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2019, 02:24 PM

4,192 posts, read 4,073,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
The nyc ID card acts a library card
For all NYC library systems? There are separate systems for Queens, Brooklyn, and Manhattan.

Old 07-09-2019, 02:28 PM

106,547 posts, read 108,667,917 times
It covers New York ,Brooklyn,queens with the one Id card

Old 07-09-2019, 07:35 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,641,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Yes, I do, but none of the poll answers fit me well. I mostly use the online resources. I sometimes check out books for my Kindle, and I also use the free Lynda.com database. I also occasionally use at the other online resources like Flipster.

But I actually rarely go into the libraries anymore. There was an incident which I may have written about here that turned me against physically going to the libraries. I used to go to the main library on 40th and 5th and look through the books on the 3rd floor. Sometimes I would go and stay for a few hours. One day I was there and a homeless person came in who smelled so bad he made the entire floor stink to high heaven -- which was a difficult thing to accomplish because the ceilings are very high. I thought I was going to throw up or pass out. After that I became concerned about the cleanliness of even sitting in the chairs, got worried about bedbugs, etc. It's unfortunate but that's why I don't go anymore.
Oh, no - you reminded me that I originally meant to phrase one answer to include people who may use the library but perhaps without being there physically.

Yes, that's a difficult problem for libraries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxiegal View Post
I LOVE the library!!! I spent many happy hot summers sitting in the cool a/c, enjoying the books, as well as the art classes offered. Throughout the years, every town I moved to, I immediately went to the local library and got my card.
What kind of art classes? I didn't know about that.

Old 07-09-2019, 08:41 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,232,509 times
Yes but I only use it for computer privileges like printing

Old 07-10-2019, 01:38 AM

33 posts, read 41,231 times
I use an e reader similar to Kindle, and can checkout books from the comfort of my living room. When my book loan expires I receive a message that my book has expired. Very convenient. Love it.

Old 07-10-2019, 05:17 AM

43,608 posts, read 44,331,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Yes, I do, but none of the poll answers fit me well. I mostly use the online resources. I sometimes check out books for my Kindle, and I also use the free Lynda.com database. I also occasionally use at the other online resources like Flipster.

But I actually rarely go into the libraries anymore. There was an incident which I may have written about here that turned me against physically going to the libraries. I used to go to the main library on 40th and 5th and look through the books on the 3rd floor. Sometimes I would go and stay for a few hours. One day I was there and a homeless person came in who smelled so bad he made the entire floor stink to high heaven -- which was a difficult thing to accomplish because the ceilings are very high. I thought I was going to throw up or pass out. After that I became concerned about the cleanliness of even sitting in the chairs, got worried about bedbugs, etc. It's unfortunate but that's why I don't go anymore.
I too have more than one library card (the NYPL and Queens are active and I believe my Brooklyn one has expired) and use it mainly for borrowing e-books and/or audio books and occasionally other library materials. I have also used it to view movies on Kanopy (which the libraries just discontinued) and have done a few courses via Lynda.com The infrequent occasions that I actually go to the branch are to print stuff (using my library card daily quota).

Old 07-11-2019, 06:40 PM

520 posts, read 600,542 times
I love the library and make full use of its resources. I'm either online checking out E-Books for my Kindle, or inside checking out hard copy books. I use the Flipster app. I've taken courses and have attended seminars. My friends go to the NYPL Christmas party every year and sometimes I'm able to join them. Thanks for the Lynda recommendation.

Old 07-11-2019, 07:24 PM

7 posts, read 4,230 times
I do, and getting a library card was one of the first things I did after moving here. Went to my local, got a card, and checked out some books. I'm overdue for a visit, though. Want to read Cat Marnell's (of VICE and xoJane notoriety) memoir and Guy Branum's debut book of essays. I read nonfiction almost exclusively.

Old 07-11-2019, 08:29 PM

100 posts, read 58,867 times
Nice, been away from the city since young adulthood days when I used to use the Seward Park public library. I did not realize you can borrow ebooks for Kindle, etc. Good information and good incentive to join up again just for this perk. Maybe it will get me back into reading again. Was an avid reader but too many years of reading textbooks and grading papers (40-50 papers x 3 classes per semester for decade+) got me burnt out with reading anything except forums like this or shorter online news articles. Would love to get back to thrillers and spy novels. Love Ken Follet and Edward Rutherford’s books with historical backdrop in various cities or countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: