Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2020, 07:33 AM

528 posts, read 711,498 times

Advertisements

Apparently this is the same amount it was 50 years ago .. Increasing it would go a long way in reducing litter and helping the environment. Any ideas on how to go about advocating for this change?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2020, 07:36 AM

12,202 posts, read 7,219,300 times
The 5 cent is working just fine. Are you really seeing that much bottle litter?

Old 01-06-2020, 07:40 AM

3,403 posts, read 3,574,130 times
I hope you know that if they increase that 5 cents, that means consumers have to pay more, and that includes you.

Old 01-06-2020, 07:53 AM

983 posts, read 931,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
I hope you know that if they increase that 5 cents, that means consumers have to pay more, and that includes you.
And you'd get more back if you actually recycled the things like you're supposed to. This mentality shows the deposit is too small. It's not a tax, it's an attempt to get people to actually dispose of the bottles and cans properly instead of just throwing them all over.

Old 01-06-2020, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
The 5 cent is working just fine. Are you really seeing that much bottle litter?

5 cents is not working fine for me. I tried to do it, but the machines at the grocery store were all over crowded. It would have taken me 20+ minutes to redeem a few dollars worth of bottles/cans. If the redemption rate were higher it would be worth my time. Now it is not.

Old 01-06-2020, 08:02 AM

12,202 posts, read 7,219,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koctail View Post
5 cents is not working fine for me. I tried to do it, but the machines at the grocery store were all over crowded. It would have taken me 20+ minutes to redeem a few dollars worth of bottles/cans. If the redemption rate were higher it would be worth my time. Now it is not.
So you want to overhaul a whole system that is working just so you can personally benefit financially?

Old 01-06-2020, 08:04 AM

732 posts, read 883,072 times
Then we'll get more homeless people looking through our trash and fighting over the 10 cent deposit.

Keep it at 5 cents.

Old 01-06-2020, 08:08 AM

4,794 posts, read 2,798,355 times
Default The squeaky wheel ...

Recycling efforts in the US are suffering, because China's recycling industry is requiring cleaner inputs, & rejecting anything that doesn't meet their new standards. There is also pressure on accepting aluminum cans - apparently the formulations aren't identical across the board, complicating bulk sales.

Glass recycling in the US seems to have as much an esthetic base (keeping trash off the roadsides, etc.) as an economic base. If the pressure on recycling plastics, cardboard, paper, steel cans & aluminum continues, deposits on glass containers may also go away.

Recycling efforts across the US are having to reexamine their viability - some programs are struggling, looking for ways to boost their flow's acceptability to China, or looking for other markets that might take their outflows. We (the US) probably need to establish (or reexamine) some startup recycling &/or energy production centers, to pull all that material in from the local/regional recycling centers, & produce something from it. Maybe with economies of scale we can generate more income from a wider intake of materials.

Old 01-06-2020, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubering View Post
Then we'll get more homeless people looking through our trash and fighting over the 10 cent deposit.

Keep it at 5 cents.

Yup, better to have them loiter on the streets and harass people for money!

Old 01-06-2020, 08:40 AM

4,196 posts, read 4,080,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koctail View Post
You don’t have to use the grocery store machines. Go to any store that sells the same item and hand the bottles and cans to the clerk at the register. If it’s regular soda just go to the local Walgreens or CVS and they will redeem them. They have to accept them by law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: