Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 07:19 PM

3,735 posts, read 3,469,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Haven't any of you guys called anyone to complain? The channel, the FCC, the DCA, your congressperson?
Complain about what? Re-scanning takes a minute or two. Not the end of the world really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2019, 04:15 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
Complain about what? Re-scanning takes a minute or two. Not the end of the world really.
Re-scanning only works if signal strength is powerful enough for antenna to pick up. Otherwise you can actually lose stations if your television or whatever device cannot "find" particular stations.

Sometimes yes, re-scanning does work, but often it can go the other way. We just set our set to look for new channels so not to mess with current stations even if signal is weak.

Last night lo and behold we got back NBC/channel 4 including both Cozi-TV stations. Signal goes in and out, but still a dramatic improvement over previous several months.

Old 07-26-2019, 05:22 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I've been out of town quite a bit, and settled back in to find that about half my TV stations are are gone - most annoyingly, PBS and Movies. But CBS has been blanking out, too, and WOR, I think.

Have you been experiencing problems? There was a brief ribbon crawl at the bottom once saying that TVs will have to be re-set on August 1, so I'm wondering if there's some major re-adjustment or re-alignment going on.

Who can I call? I can't find any governmental office at the city or state level that has oversight over television broadcasting.

CBS has been advertising that over the air antenna TV users will have to rescan their channels on August 1st as they will be moving on that date to a different frequency.

I stopped getting PBS, ABC & CW over the air when the analog signals were turned off and only digital signals were available. So for PBS programs that I want to see I just watch them via the PBS app (or occasionally via the PBS website) when they are available within the following the live broadcast.

In general any time there are major weather issues (like a thunderstorm or blizzard depending on the season), I have trouble with the over-the-air antenna signals.

Old 07-26-2019, 06:34 AM

4,198 posts, read 4,085,686 times
Windy days (and we got a lot in NYC) totally mess up the over the air signal with frequent drop outs. I guess the wind blows the signal away lol.

Old 07-26-2019, 06:43 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Quote:
NEEDHAM, Mass. —
Quote:
If you watch television with an antenna, a federally-mandated change is coming that will require you to follow some simple steps to rescan the airwaves.
Approximately 1,000 TV stations nationwide will have to change their frequencies to make room for wireless internet carriers after an FCC held auction, according to a statement released by the National Association of Broadcasters. For WCVB and MeTV the change will occur on August 2. After 3 a.m. on that day, those who watch television via over-the-air signals will need to rescan their TVs in order to store the new frequencies.

So rescan your channels now and then do it again August 2.

What is this OTA "Movie "channel you guys are mentioning. I was last OTA in 2011 for 2 months before FIOS. I got about 30 channels in crystalline clarity but nothing I would dub a "movie channel." Tell me about it.

Old 07-28-2019, 09:01 AM

432 posts, read 551,892 times
I recently lost FOX5NY which was traditionally the strongest signal. Now I only get CBS, NBC and my9. Hope the rescan on 8/1 brings back FOX. Never was able to get ABC or PIX11 via OTA. Would be nice to get those yankee games on PIX eventually.

Old 07-30-2019, 06:58 AM

86 posts, read 103,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edubz View Post
I recently lost FOX5NY which was traditionally the strongest signal. Now I only get CBS, NBC and my9. Hope the rescan on 8/1 brings back FOX. Never was able to get ABC or PIX11 via OTA. Would be nice to get those yankee games on PIX eventually.
I have same issues. You can re-scan and get Fox 5 after 08/01/2019
Having problems seeing FOX 5? - Story | WNYW

Rescan your TV to see FOX 5! - Story | WNYW

Old 07-30-2019, 07:21 AM

2,445 posts, read 1,219,565 times
What a bunch of cheapskates in this thread. Get cable.

Old 07-30-2019, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd-james View Post
I have same issues. You can re-scan and get Fox 5 after 08/01/2019
Having problems seeing FOX 5? - Story | WNYW

Rescan your TV to see FOX 5! - Story | WNYW
Thank goodness!

Old 07-30-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by under a mountain View Post
What a bunch of cheapskates in this thread. Get cable.
Not wasting your money unnecessarily doesn’t make you a cheapskate. Some folks simply don’t watch enough TV to justify a commitment to Fios or Spectrum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: