Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 05:50 AM

19,046 posts, read 13,959,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NycLaidBack View Post
Most came in the 70’s and 80’s...didn’t know that people who recently immigrated can afford 6-700k 1 bedroom condos.
Think again.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2019, 05:53 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,599,623 times
Quote:
Most came in the 70’s and 80’s...didn’t know that people who recently immigrated can afford 6-700k 1 bedroom condos.
You've never heard of nouveau riche Eastern Europeans? There is much more wealth in Russia today than there was in the 70s and 80s

Old 07-19-2019, 08:47 AM

779 posts, read 1,003,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Think again.
About what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
You've never heard of nouveau riche Eastern Europeans? There is much more wealth in Russia today than there was in the 70s and 80s
Forgot what you heard, step away from your computer and see for yourself.

The only time you find a rich Russian in NYC is enjoying the high end clubs and restaurants. The billionaires invest in real estate, but never really live at that property, they rather dock their 500million dollar yacht by battery park.

Modern day rich Russians end up in Las Angelis or Miami...

Maybe the local rich business owners stick around Mill Basin, Sea Gate, and Manhattan beach and several of the high end recent condos.

Old 07-19-2019, 08:59 AM

983 posts, read 931,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speediestevie View Post
My old coworker used to say Brennan and Carr serves the coldest beers ever. Their roast beef sandwiches are on point, I'd say they're better than Roll n Roaster on Emmons avenue. I agree that both are in the Sheepshead Bay neighborhood.
I went to this place like a month ago. So overrated tbh

Old 07-19-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
About what?

Forgot what you heard, step away from your computer and see for yourself.

The only time you find a rich Russian in NYC is enjoying the high end clubs and restaurants. The billionaires invest in real estate, but never really live at that property, they rather dock their 500million dollar yacht by battery park.

Modern day rich Russians end up in Las Angelis or Miami...

Maybe the local rich business owners stick around Mill Basin, Sea Gate, and Manhattan beach and several of the high end recent condos.
We both were not talking about billionaires. We were answering what you said re:affording $700,000 condos. Don’t change the goalposts now.

If the ones buying $700-800,000 homes in SI are any indication, they sure haven’t learned much English or aged much since the 70’s or 80’s when you say they came.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 07-19-2019, 09:14 AM

34,090 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Cropsey Ave, old school neighborhood

I havent been in years

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-19-2019, 09:31 AM

779 posts, read 1,003,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
We both were not talking about billionaires. We were answering what you said re:affording $700,000 condos. Don’t change the goalposts now.

If the ones buying $700-800,000 homes in SI are any indication, they sure haven’t learned much English or aged much since the 70’s or 80’s when you say they came.
I mentioned billionaires because of what was brought up re: nouveau riche Eastern Europeans.

Whose not buying a house in SI for 700-800k alike?

The Russians you see these days buying anything high end are the product of Soviet parents, the kids got their education here in the states, their career and earning are here in the states. Someone coming from Russia right now with a million dollars would not go to NYC, they’ll go to Miami in a heartbeat.

Im telling you from experience, from what I see, and from what Im surrounded by, not so much an opinion.

Old 07-19-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Im telling you from experience, from what I see, and from what Im surrounded by, not so much an opinion.
So am I.

I have a lot of neighbors and coworkers who definitely did not grow up here and are recent immigrants (within 10-15 years) who are purchasing homes in the range you originally specified.

My point is there is a great mix of Russian/Eastern European immigrants and they are still coming and many are coming with money or the means to quickly start making it once here. Your definitive statement is not indicative of the whole.

Old 07-19-2019, 10:25 AM

1,566 posts, read 905,811 times
Lots of recent Russian immigrants in Brighton Beach live in million dollar condos.

Old 07-19-2019, 12:39 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,356,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speediestevie View Post
My opinion may be stale, last time dining at Brennan 3 years ago +-2 years

But I do remember , back then, the beers being very cold.

I ate at R&R recently, and I love the nostalgic feeling it brings out, and the sheer size of the place. Just wouldn't go out of my way to eat there.
I like their roast beef and their corn fritters. And a B&W milkshake. I don't like TOO far, so I will venture out. But I could understand not going out of the way for it---not sure I would do that for anything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iammax View Post
I went to this place like a month ago. So overrated tbh
It makes me think people have never had really good roast beef.

When I was a kid, my mom cooked almost every day and her roast beef was phenomenal. She cooked it PERFECTLY. When I want some good stuff, I head to Fiacco's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: