Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 07:44 AM

34,017 posts, read 47,240,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
This is not a transplant thing at all. Quite the opposite. In my experience going back to the 70's it is outer borough NYC natives who have used this expression. If transplants are using it these days it is because they picked it up from natives.

Also, maybe they think it makes them sound more authentic to say "going to the city" so they have an incentive to use it.

And technically, "New York City, New York" or NYC,NY or NY,NY is only Manhattan....not any of the other boroughs....... so there is a long history behind Manhattan being referred to as "The City "

I actually find it funny that it confuses them

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2019, 08:06 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I actually find it funny that it confuses them
Some people are very insecure about not living in Manhattan. When they hear people referring to Manhattan as “The City” it reinforces that insecurity so they react.

Old 07-20-2019, 08:11 AM

34,017 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Some people are very insecure about not living in Manhattan. When they hear people referring to Manhattan as “The City” it reinforces that insecurity so they react.
Silly people

The only part of Manhattan I would ever live is on 217th or 218th Street, in one of those houses. If I can't get that then I'll just stay in Rockaway

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-20-2019, 08:20 AM

3,217 posts, read 1,601,675 times
Growing up in the 60’s in the Bronx we used to say we were “going downtown” when we meant going to any part of Manhattan.

Old 07-20-2019, 12:19 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,593,062 times
Being impressed by skyscrapers is typical of tourists in my opinion. The best neighborhoods in Manhattan (in my opinion) are the ones not lined with skyscrapers, like the Villages, Lower East Side, Chinatown, etc.

Last edited by Airborneguy; 07-20-2019 at 01:15 PM..

Old 07-20-2019, 02:59 PM

31,892 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Many are unaware but Brooklyn was not only its own independent city prior to the consolidation that created "New York City" with its five boroughs. Indeed before this Brooklyn was in the top five (IIRC) urban areas of the United States.

Brooklyn didn't need Manhattan. It has plenty of its own industries, farming, waterfront, and most importantly unlike Manhattan it was attached to mainland USA. Brooklyn thus had easier access to the rich farm areas of Long Island (which when you get down to it includes Queens), and so forth.

Many Brooklyn residents had bitter harsh feelings over their "city" being gobbled up into "NYC". Those divisions lasted years after the consolidation, and in some cases right up to modern times. Thus many are quite happy that Brooklyn is now coming back into its own after years of being seen as second fiddle to Manhattan.

So yes, the "city" would refer to Manhattan, but Brooklyn was its own city as well, but no one referred to it that way.

Brooklyn also had the Dodgers, and thus didn't need Manhttan's "Giants" baseball team.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor...ooklyn_Dodgers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q-tey2a7PE

Old 07-20-2019, 03:16 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
I don't think it's a transplant thing.

Old 07-20-2019, 04:13 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
...and most importantly unlike Manhattan it was attached to mainland USA. Brooklyn thus had easier access to the rich farm areas of Long Island (which when you get down to it includes Queens), and so forth.
Brooklyn wasn’t connected to the mainland. It still isn’t now unless you count the VZ to SI then the Goethals to the mainland. Manhattan is actually much closer to the mainland than Brooklyn (though technically still not connected).

What are you talking about?

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 07-20-2019, 04:15 PM

31,892 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Brooklyn wasn’t connected to the mainland. It still isn’t now unless you count the VZ to SI then the Goethals to the mainland. Manhattan is actually much closer to the mainland than Brooklyn (though technically still not connected).

What are you talking about?
You're right, was thinking of Queens.

My bad.

Old 07-20-2019, 04:35 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Queens? Lol

Are you drinking today?

(I am lol)

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City