Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2019, 05:49 PM

1,564 posts, read 904,850 times

Advertisements

I knew a guy who used to sit on my corner in the Village. He was an older black guy and he knew how to tug on the heart strings. I used to chat with him while I’d be walking my dog. He lived with his daughter in the bx in a house with a Lincoln in the driveway. The homeless thing was a ruse. He looked the part perfectly though. Old ladies in the village had a regular day of the week they’d give him a $20 dollar bill or so. He would brag about it and I’d kind of chuckle along with him but it also pissed me off how predictable these ladies were and how gullible. The guy was making bank playing on the kindness of the old liberal white ladies. If he had been white it wouldn’t have worked quite as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2019, 05:58 PM

34,082 posts, read 47,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanMan2k5 View Post
He's homeless by choice so he can save money earned in the States to build up Mexico. This is everything wrong with our Immigration "policies". Using American resources to enrich another nation.
He pays taxes he said

I have no problem with getting ur bread as long as the country gets its cut

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-25-2019, 06:00 PM

34,082 posts, read 47,278,015 times
And on another note, you guys took homeless to another level

The guy doesnt beg for change

The guy has a job

A gym membership

He lives just like all of us

He just prefers to sleep outside.

There's people doing that in Silicon Valley right now, only thing they sleep in their cars

Maybe thats what homeboy should look into tho, a van that he can sleep in, convert it.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-26-2019, 04:51 AM

16,035 posts, read 6,840,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Have been saying this for years, not everyone living on streets is either mentally ill or busted.

https://nypost.com/video/homeless-by...treets-of-nyc/

The Man is not a homeless victim of circumstance.
The man is not homeless. There is a difference.
The man is chooses to live on the street rather than in a structure by choice.
The man works and pays taxes. His sacrifice resulted in his goal of
eventually owning homes. His method of achieving wealth is akin to a person
owning a cesspool business and when asked how he become so wealthy
his response was "No one else wanted to do it." No one chooses to be homeless.
I do not condone living on the street by choice as normal taxpayers pay for a quality of life
that does not include pitching tents to sleep or setting campfires for the evening meal.
I will give him credit for being strong willed and achieving his goal but this is a poor way ( no pun )
of going about it. He may have sacrificed friends and family along his journey. I wish him well.

Your life. Your choice. Your accountability.

Old 07-26-2019, 05:09 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,660,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post

The guy has a job

A gym membership

There's people doing that in Silicon Valley right now, only thing they sleep in their cars

Maybe thats what homeboy should look into tho, a van that he can sleep in, convert it.
I imagine finding a place to park the VAN in NYC on a daily basis would be much harder than finding a place to just to lie down and sleep, which would also seem pretty difficult but after 4 years, i suspect he has his default places... he mentioned roof tops, parks and cemeteries.. that last one would get to me.. but I imagine you could get used to it. To be honest, he is very impressive to me.. i have seen dozens of folks doing this out of cars/vans but none doing it in a sleeping bag and bicycle at least not as comfortably as he appears to be doing it!

Old 07-26-2019, 05:42 AM

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I imagine finding a place to park the VAN in NYC on a daily basis would be much harder than finding a place to just to lie down and sleep, which would also seem pretty difficult but after 4 years, i suspect he has his default places... he mentioned roof tops, parks and cemeteries.. that last one would get to me.. but I imagine you could get used to it. To be honest, he is very impressive to me.. i have seen dozens of folks doing this out of cars/vans but none doing it in a sleeping bag and bicycle at least not as comfortably as he appears to be doing it!

Trust me, you don't ever want to walking around Central or Prospect parks late/over night, especially deep into the "woods". People do set up their sleeping bags or whatever and camp out for the night.

That being said, yes, can see how someone would or could camp out in a cemetery. I sure as heck wouldn't but as a family member chided me once about not wanting to be near Moravian on SI after dark "why not? ain't like anyone in there is gong to bother you....".

Old 07-26-2019, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post

Not really. Know of at least four guys who live way out in NJ or PA that have those huge Mercdes-Benz vans that are almost like mobile homes.

They work afternoon or evening shifts, then go "home" to their parked van for the night. Get up next day, lather rinse and repeat. End of work week they had back on out to their homes which are larger and far better than they could otherwise afford in NYC.

Finding parking overnight in many parts of the city, even Manhattan isn't that difficult if you don't need a spot that is good for ASP. The avenues and other places with meters expire after 7PM or so and a you have to leave by 7AM anyway. Then there are all those streets/areas with loading zones where you can park a night but again have to be gone by AM.

There was a guy several years ago now that would park his busted car outside Food Emporium on Third near 82nd. He, a dog and gf lived in that wreck and came to dumpster dive through supermarket garbage. After having their fill they slept in the car... Am sure they made the rounds all over Manhattan because there were periods you wouldn't see them at all.

Old 07-26-2019, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post

The guy has a job

A gym membership

Well the gym membership takes care of a place to shower, shave, go to the bathroom, *and* you get to work out. Far cheaper than an apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City