Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2019, 11:03 AM

7,090 posts, read 4,521,984 times

Advertisements

I understand the psychology behind it but really I don’t know anyone that ever forgot their kids. They were the most important things in my universe. That’s why I don’t understand why people aren’t using the recommendations to ensure this doesn’t happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2019, 05:19 PM

18,469 posts, read 31,630,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That could happen, but most people use their phones during the day and will go looking for it. If you have it in your head that you already dropped the baby off at the babysitter, you aren't going to go looking for your baby because you think the baby is safely somewhere else, but if you think, "Gee, I should call the babysitter/my mother/the doctor...where is my phone?" you ARE going to go looking for it.

I think a purse or wallet is better, though. Most working people need an ID to get into a building and will need that handy.

Even though I never forgot my kid, it's scary because I can kind of see it happening. My daughter's baby and toddler years are a fog in my memory. She didn't sleep through the night until she was three and even then it was seven hours tops (those "What To Expect" books saying the kid will sleep 12 hours at 3 months are FOS), and I had to get up, drive her fifteen miles to my parents' house, and then begin my train commute to the city for work. I never had enough sleep and was running on fumes.

Thankfully, I COULDN'T forget to drop her off because if I'd gotten to my parents' house and walked in without my daughter, they would have noticed.

I read the article, and get what your responses are for.

but I too have to put stock in that It couldnt happen to me, and being the father of 3, (all grown up already) it didnt.

PS: Id need something else, as I am the only person on earth that doesnt have a cell,

Old 07-28-2019, 06:33 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,714,563 times
I don't see the point of charging this guy, what's that going to accomplish

I think when the kids survive is when there should be prosecution, otherwise he's already been punished a million times over

Old 07-28-2019, 06:52 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,764,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I understand the psychology behind it but really I don’t know anyone that ever forgot their kids.
I don't. I don't want to judge but I'm going to. I don't know how anyone can even leave their pets inside a hot car much less their kid! Unless you're either strung out, flighty as all he** or have such tunnel vision that everything else gets crowded out. I'm baffled but apparently it happens a lot. This isn't the first time I've heard of something like this happening and sadly I don't think it'll be the last. But I don't get it.

Old 07-28-2019, 06:53 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,954,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
I don't see the point of charging this guy, what's that going to accomplish

I think when the kids survive is when there should be prosecution, otherwise he's already been punished a million times over
A crime was committed against two human lives. It is not for LE to mete out justice, but the court system.

Juries and judges are there to render justice not only for victims of crimes, but accused and or convicted as well.

This sad situation thus far seems to be a mistake; horrible and tragic, but never the less things are what they are.

While the father does appear contrite and truly anguished over his actions, again two little souls were lost due to a totally avoidable situation, someone has to be held accountable.

Past and present far too many infants/young children have died from "neglect" of various causes. To give a parent or parents a pass just because they are truly sorry isn't going to resurrect the dead. More to the point it gives the illusion there are no consequences nor repercussions.

District attorneys in these sort of cases are darned if they do, and equally condemned if they don't.

Failure to bring charges will bring an outcry and fuel outrage. Doing so equally offends others who say they aren't warranted as it was a "mistake" and the parent(s) have suffered enough. Since you cannot un-ring a bell, best to bring charges and let courts sort things out.

Old 07-28-2019, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
A crime was committed against two human lives. It is not for LE to mete out justice, but the court system
No crime was committed, this was a tragic mistake and from what I've seen most of the public sympathizes with this guy (including his wife). No jury is going to convict him it's a complete waste of taxpayer money.

If the guy had intentionally left them in the car to go shopping for 2 hours that would be a whole other story and absolutely a crime

Old 07-28-2019, 07:31 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,954,113 times
Quote:
No crime was committed, this was a tragic mistake and from what I've seen most of the public sympathizes with this guy (including his wife). No jury is going to convict him it's a complete waste of taxpayer money.

If the guy had intentionally left them in the car to go shopping for 2 hours that would be a whole other story and absolutely a crime
Says you, obviously the DA's office thinks differently and charged the guy with criminally negligent homicide and manslaughter among other charges.

Again neither you nor I will decide this, but a judge/jury.

Causing death of another human being even if unintentional is a crime, period, end of story.

What role mitigating circumstances play in defense and or if the court simply believes none of it, as you say it was just an "accident", is again for a judge and or jury to decide.

For the record going by facts as known, do believe the guy made one huge error. But then again my heart goes out to those two young souls unable to call for help, and were wholly dependent upon others, in this case their father.

We've all left things in cars, but they were intimate objects; how does anyone forget not one but *TWO* babies were in the back seat?

Old 07-28-2019, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
We've all left things in cars, but they were intimate objects; how does anyone forget not one but *TWO* babies were in the back seat?
That's going to be between him and God

Old 07-28-2019, 07:50 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I understand the psychology behind it but really I don’t know anyone that ever forgot their kids. They were the most important things in my universe. That’s why I don’t understand why people aren’t using the recommendations to ensure this doesn’t happen.
One time I was babysitting someone's child and she forgot to pick the child up. She said she got home, started working around the house and all of a sudden remembered her kid. Now mind you, the total time was maybe 1/2 hour, or I would have called her. (This was before cell phones, however.)

Old 07-28-2019, 08:32 PM

18,469 posts, read 31,630,721 times
Quote:

I agree, this is absolutely a tragic mistake.
sentencing this man to jail, like another poster said, whats it going to do.
besides take a father away from 3 other children.

While I cannot believe someone can be that stupid, but none the less, I dont think it was intentinal, so I have to agree with the other poster.

jailing this man, isnt the answer, he will be jailed in his own head (sadly) for the rest of his life.

Its a terrible terrible shame for the whole entire family
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City