Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2019, 11:17 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,848,003 times

Advertisements

Please watch the video by Sonny Townsend called a Walk thru Brownsville projects.

Street creds and courage for theses young locals reporting on their neighborhood, giving insight to the psychology behind
the bad behavior and aggression that exists towards one another. I commend their hunger to try to bring the people of their
community together. It all starts by knowing what is ailing you before you can go ahead and fix it and I think these two have
a good handle on where to start.

God Bless .Be Safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2019, 06:33 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
My opinion:

Brownsville has a long long reputation.
Your most models of citizenry today would never occupy this neighborhood.
A high murder rate followed by crime and severe poverty continues to prove
its status remains undeterred as an undesirable place to call home.

The Mayor speaking out on the shootings stated:

" This tragedy does not define Brownsville "

I respond your instituted policy on stop and frisk ultimately did.
Disrespect of officers by neighborhood thugs pouring buckets of water
over police men's heads only perpetuates a hesitancy from any city worker to respond
to help of any kind as the neighborhood continues to spiral downward into the abyss.

My heart goes out to those who contact the media to show support to the recent dousing of officers with water
by coming together and washing police cars. My greatest of admiration but they number far and few between.
I have worked this neighborhood for over 20 years. I experienced theft ,vandalism,disrespect and a number of close
calls with death. Just an average day in the hood you might say. It was a urinal back then and it remains a urinal today.

Is there a solution to fix the behavior of this community?
I am sure there are many ideas out there .
Would you care to respond with intelligent ,positive and non racist ideas.
Curious minds would like to know.
You need a Frank Rizzo type to step in and clean up the city. RIP Mr Mayor - you were one of the great ones.

Old 07-29-2019, 06:59 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,219,565 times
Well, at least we're not Baltimore.

Old 07-29-2019, 08:13 AM

137 posts, read 138,450 times
just curious who actually is living in B'ville now... cause there are middle-class folks in the neighborhood and honestly think of it more as a working class community then a poverty haven. I recently was looking at the community board socio-economic info for it and other 'middle class' CBs and by the numbers it has a better poverty index then boro park and less felonies then the CB encompassing sheepshead bay (which has a better poverty index).

Old 07-29-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HipHopSays View Post
just curious who actually is living in B'ville now... cause there are middle-class folks in the neighborhood and honestly think of it more as a working class community then a poverty haven. I recently was looking at the community board socio-economic info for it and other 'middle class' CBs and by the numbers it has a better poverty index then boro park and less felonies then the CB encompassing sheepshead bay (which has a better poverty index).
Why don't you go and find out. Take a video camera, wear a MAGA hat while you're at it, and post on youtube for all to enjoy. LOL

Old 07-29-2019, 10:09 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,613,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
One of the biggest problems with Brownsville, East New York, and similar neighborhoods is not just poverty. It is concentrated poverty. With too few middle-class working people in these neighborhoods, everything bad gets magnified and there is too little social pressure to put a stop to a lot of the nonsense that goes on. Becoming a mixed-income neighborhood would help tremendously, but that will be very hard to accomplish with the blocks and blocks of huge housing projects that are poorly kept up and warehouse so many of the neighborhood miscreants. And when anyone seriously talks about middle-income housing, whether in the neighborhood itself or in the PJs (there was talk of this a while back), the locals often get so alarmed at the thought of gentrification that the whole process grinds to a halt, despite what benefits it might bring to an area.. And try putting low-income housing in middle-class neighborhoods. Good luck with that. I really believe that the isolation of our poorest New Yorkers is a huge part of the problem. But I really don't have an answer to that.

But the tough guy, hard core policing (being a hard a** over minor non-violent behavior) is ultimately counterproductive. It just sends people through the criminal justice system, maybe to jail, maybe even gives them a record, all of which makes it even harder to escape to a middle-class life. Moreover, it makes folks in the hood detest the cops who are supposed to be there to protect them, not make their lives miserable over petty stuff. And I'm not talking about hard core gangbangers and criminals with that. Yes, cops need to go after them, and go after them hard. But more Eric Garner responses aren't going to solve the problems in the hood.
This.

"Gentrification" is the new moral panic, at least as far as NYC is concerned. The truth is that while we should do as best we can to avoid displacement, the fact is that these kinds of neighborhoods need people of means to help break up some of the mindsets that become entrenched in neighborhoods of unrelenting poverty. The elites in the NYTimes are more focused on looking "woke" then finding solutions.

Old 07-29-2019, 10:11 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,613,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
You need a Frank Rizzo type to step in and clean up the city. RIP Mr Mayor - you were one of the great ones.
I dunno why Philly people love Rizzo. That city went to trash just like NY in the 70s under him.

Old 07-29-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
I dunno why Philly people love Rizzo. That city went to trash just like NY in the 70s under him.
Because Frank was no-nonsense when it came to crime. Of course back in the day he was hated by the minority communities and called a racist. How the times haven't changed.

Old 07-29-2019, 11:14 AM

283 posts, read 233,934 times
And people talk like East NY and Brownsville are going to be gentrified any moment... lmao. Large parts of Bushwick still looks third world and the gentrification of Bushwick has been the talk of the town for how many years now? That hood still has a ways to go, maybe it's all hipster near Robertas but it's also crime and housing projects, fried chicken joints and dirty streets with litter

Old 07-29-2019, 11:07 PM

325 posts, read 199,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrypothead View Post
And people talk like East NY and Brownsville are going to be gentrified any moment... lmao. Large parts of Bushwick still looks third world and the gentrification of Bushwick has been the talk of the town for how many years now? That hood still has a ways to go, maybe it's all hipster near Robertas but it's also crime and housing projects, fried chicken joints and dirty streets with litter
Even with all the “ gentrification” and ppl moving in bushwick theres still a shooting or stabbing every other day . It’s Top 5 dangerous Brooklyn neighborhood, maybe it’s 5 exactly . after Brownsville ,east ny bed stuy and crown heights
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City