Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 08:57 AM

521 posts, read 699,792 times

Advertisements

This is more a rant, but am curious to know how to prevent this..

I use a pre-paid debit card to automatically refill my metrocard when the balance goes below $20. My debit card had insufficient funds so the reloading failed several times. I got no email about the failed funding attempts. I just happened to login to the site and noticed the card was in "Revoked" status even though there was still money on it and it still worked. So I manually made a one-time funding and the card status changed to "Active" or something. I used it twice then all of a sudden I got an annoying "See Agent" when trying to use it a third time. The agent said it's been revoked.. Again, no emails or texts about this.. On top of that the website is so primitive, see https://www.easypaymetrocard.com/vec...ts/index.shtml . So I doubt there is much I can do except keep on top of making sure I have sufficient funds in my debit card I use to refill the metrocard..

Edit: I logged in to the site and found there is an option for "Email Correspondence" . It was set to Opt-Out for unkown reasons.. I have switched it to Opt-In. Also now my card status says "Active" ?! So maybe it works, will have to try it again..

Last edited by koctail; 08-02-2019 at 09:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2019, 09:17 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,009,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koctail View Post

I use a pre-paid debit card to automatically refill my metrocard when the balance goes below $20. My debit card had insufficient funds so the reloading failed several times. I got no email about the failed funding attempts. I just happened to login to the site and noticed the card was in "Revoked" status even though there was still money on it and it still worked. So I manually made a one-time funding and the card status changed to "Active" or something. I used it twice then all of a sudden I got an annoying "See Agent" when trying to use it a third time. The agent said it's been revoked.. Again, no emails or texts about this.. On top of that the website is so primitive, see https://www.easypaymetrocard.com/vec...ts/index.shtml . So I doubt there is much I can do except keep on top of making sure I have sufficient funds in my debit card I use to refill the metrocard..

Edit: I logged in to the site and found there is an option for "Email Correspondence" . It was set to Opt-Out for unkown reasons.. I have switched it to Opt-In. Also now my card status says "Active" ?! So maybe it works, will have to try it again..
I need to check that opt in option. I had a credit card attached to mine, and the credit card was suddenly shut down due to fraud (no fault of mine). Therefore the Ez express didn't work anymore, also suddenly, and I received no alert. I just went to swipe it and it said "see agent" which I did but the agent was not helpful at all.

Old 08-02-2019, 09:19 AM

3,403 posts, read 3,543,672 times
This is exactly the reason why I don’t enroll on EasyPay. Is unreliable, and easily get out of control. I would rather get it refill when is out of money or time in my metrocard.

Old 08-02-2019, 09:20 AM

3,403 posts, read 3,543,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I need to check that opt in option. I had a credit card attached to mine, and the credit card was suddenly shut down due to fraud (no fault of mine). Therefore the Ez express didn't work anymore, also suddenly, and I received no alert. I just went to swipe it and it said "see agent" which I did but the agent was not helpful at all.
Really the agent is no help at all.

Old 08-02-2019, 09:49 AM

515 posts, read 517,697 times
This has happened to me before. Every time it can't draw the funds from a bank account the card will be "revoked" once you begin to add funds again it will become active but sometimes you need to give it 24-48hours.

Only way to prevent it from happening is making sure you always have the minimum amount on the card(more than $20, once below $20 it will attempt to draw funds).

I use the pay per ride instead of the monthly unlimited, so what I do is that every Friday I login to my account and add money on the metro card myself for the week instead of waiting for it to automatically take it from my account once it gets below $20.

Old 08-02-2019, 10:12 AM

983 posts, read 922,759 times
It sucks that this happened, but I wouldn't trust the MTA with anything as high tech as "anything automatic"

Old 08-08-2019, 07:26 PM

15,444 posts, read 15,425,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koctail View Post

Interesting. So you're basically giving them an interest-free loan of $20. Imagine if they can get a million people to fall for that.

Old 08-09-2019, 03:55 AM

105,671 posts, read 107,628,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Interesting. So you're basically giving them an interest-free loan of $20. Imagine if they can get a million people to fall for that.
the day i have to worry about an interest free loan on 20 bucks used for convenience is the day i might want to think and review my financial life . the same applies to the balance i carry on my ez-pass waiting to be used .

Old 08-09-2019, 09:05 AM

25,341 posts, read 36,827,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybklyn View Post
This is exactly the reason why I don’t enroll on EasyPay. Is unreliable, and easily get out of control. I would rather get it refill when is out of money or time in my metrocard.

Yes,
I tried to enroll with my Senior Reduced Fare Metrocard but my only option was to re-enroll for another RF Metrocard and have another picture taken at headquarters downtown on Stone Street, an excursion I try hard to avoid, so I threw in the towel on the whole process.

I find it FAR more convenient to notice my balance with each ride and when I get below $10, to throw $40 on via credit card.

Old 08-09-2019, 03:56 PM

1,486 posts, read 972,632 times
This happened to be before as well. So i now have 2 cards linked to the Xpress metrocard. 1 primary transit card and a backup credit card.

The issue here is when the card deactivates you are screwed as the Agent cant do anything for you. Same is the card gets damaged.

Lesson here is always have a backup metrocard as even though the EZ pay card is "pay per ride" it does not work on PATH trains, i learned the hard way. And always have 2 credit cards linked to it as you never know when one of those cards may fail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City