Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2019, 12:16 AM

1,521 posts, read 1,817,229 times

Advertisements

I love Barney's. Their interior and layouts are always the best imo. Very minimalist as you walk from brand to brand. I just never buy anything at the store because their website prices often have sales.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2019, 07:23 AM

1,034 posts, read 673,505 times
I was a fan of Barneys, at least from the windows shopping point of view. Their urban avant-garde looking fashion is cool.

In other news.. Bergdoff Goodman is laughing all the way to the bank

Old 08-11-2019, 05:17 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,430,973 times
Things change as time marches on......

Old 08-11-2019, 05:47 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,085,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by speediestevie View Post
I was a fan of Barneys, at least from the windows shopping point of view. Their urban avant-garde looking fashion is cool.

In other news.. Bergdoff Goodman is laughing all the way to the bank
Isn't Bergdoff owned by Neiman Marcus? NM is not doing so pretty too.

Old 08-11-2019, 10:49 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Again, this sums things up nicely:

https://www.retaildive.com/news/how-...s-cool/560356/

And this sums up what all luxury and other retail are up against:

"Joseph Aquino, who runs a real estate services firm under his name in Manhattan, says the days of the shop-till-you drop mentality on Madison Avenue popularized by the HBO popular series of the 1990s "Sex in the City" are over.

"She was 45 and now she is 65... She isn't shopping like she was 45," Aquino said. "We are in the phase where a lot of younger shoppers don't want to go the high street. They sit around and buy online and that's what we are fighting against."

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...522170131.html

Days of "Ladies Who Lunch" and shop, spending hours roaming through various department or other stores, and dropping serious money largely are slowing if not totally over. Young wealthy women (and men for that matter) are still spending huge sums on retail/fashion, it just is happening more and more online.

Old 08-12-2019, 08:48 AM

1,186 posts, read 966,553 times
Speaking as a millennial, it's not that I don't like shopping per se, but it's kind of draining to spend hours roaming through some huge department store looking for an item, only to discover it's not available in the right size, color, whatever and then the store ends up ordering it for you online anyway. I can skip that whole step and go straight online and find it myself. The online returns processes are so easy now you can take a chance on something and return it with less hassle than going back to the physical store and standing in line.

This frees up a lot of time to spend doing things I like more than shopping...

I guess department store shopping is a good model if you just arbitrarily want to browse but don't know exactly what you want to purchase - or maybe in high tourist areas where the novelty factor is there. Century 21 is always packed, for example and trying to checkout there can be a total nightmare.

Old 08-12-2019, 10:05 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times
I just hate the obnoxious sales people. It's much easier going online to Neiman Marcus, and ordering a pair of J Brand pants. They have the color I want, the size, the cut, and the country of origin. One I see Made in USA, a few clicks of the mouse and I'm done.

Old 08-13-2019, 09:15 PM

1,034 posts, read 673,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Isn't Bergdoff owned by Neiman Marcus? NM is not doing so pretty too.
Nice one! I wasn’t aware, thx for the tip
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: