Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 08:02 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Yep. I go out of my way to not take the subway. And my family and others we know regularly drive into Manhattan, too. Like I wrote, this is going to hurt many poor/working class families.

Good, and now you get to pay for the privilege of clogging up Manhattan streets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2019, 08:16 AM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Good, and now you get to pay for the privilege of clogging up Manhattan streets.
And taxpayers continue to get ripped off. I'm not surprised you don't have a problem with it, though. Let's not kid ourselves, though. This isn't "congestion pricing" as its not going to make a noticeable dent in congestion. This is nothing more than a money grab.

Still, for me personally, this will just make me visit Manhattan less, if at all. I'm not getting on that subway.

Old 09-15-2019, 08:33 AM

19,048 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Car or no car, I avoid that cesspool like the plague. As a matter of fact, we skipped a wedding-related brunch in Manhattan today.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 09-15-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Car or no car, I avoid that cesspool like the plague. As a matter of fact, we skipped a wedding-related brunch in Manhattan today.
That's probably for the best. I try to avoid it, too, but its a central meeting place for my friends when I'm visiting.

Old 09-15-2019, 09:36 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
And taxpayers continue to get ripped off. I'm not surprised you don't have a problem with it, though. Let's not kid ourselves, though. This isn't "congestion pricing" as its not going to make a noticeable dent in congestion. This is nothing more than a money grab.

Still, for me personally, this will just make me visit Manhattan less, if at all. I'm not getting on that subway.
To be fair, Cuomo's been upfront and transparent about CP being FOR THE MONEY for the MTA from the get-go.

Old 09-15-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
To be fair, Cuomo's been upfront and transparent about CP being FOR THE MONEY for the MTA from the get-go.
Cuomo has certainly been more forthcoming than many high profile political types about the real reason for congestion pricing (and I give him credit for that), but even he and others (and the official legislation refers to as much) still tout the supposed congestion easing benefits of the bill as one of its justifications, etc.

Here's the "general purpose" of the legislation that was signed into law by Cuomo:

Quote:
PURPOSE OR GENERAL IDEA OF BILL:

The purpose of this bill is to: reduce traffic congestion in and aroundNew York City's Central Business District (CBD); raise revenue to help fill the remaining gap in the Metropolitan Transportation Authority's (MTA's) 2015-2019 Capital Plan and future capital programs; extend toll relief to drivers using the MTA's non-CBD crossings who tend to have fewer transit options; add new transit options to better serve the City's so-called "transit deserts"; and provide targeted fare relief for the City's outer borough transit users.
https://nyassembly.gov/leg/?default_...mmary=Y&Memo=Y

These folks like to point to London as the example of a congestion reducing success story, but they mislead the public by failing to acknowledge that traffic in London is still terrible. Londoners spend an average of 227 hours a year in traffic and the city is ranked as having the 6th worst traffic/congestion problems in the world: https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-a8775056.html

The way my London family tells it, there was an immediate reduction in traffic congestion when the plan first went into place as people were getting used to the new order of things, but that things soon returned to the same terrible traffic. My family does, however, point to the benefits of increased funding for mass transit.

Still, I wish that political types would simply come out and say that this is the only real reason for congestion pricing as its not going to put a dent in traffic judging by the example city they love to cite.

Old 09-15-2019, 10:32 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
And taxpayers continue to get ripped off.

No, DRIVING taxpayers continue to get ripped off.

Old 09-15-2019, 10:38 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Cuomo has certainly been more forthcoming than many high profile political types about the real reason for congestion pricing (and I give him credit for that), but even he and others (and the official legislation refers to as much) still tout the supposed congestion easing benefits of the bill as one of its justifications, etc.

Here's the "general purpose" of the legislation that was signed into law by Cuomo:

https://nyassembly.gov/leg/?default_...mmary=Y&Memo=Y

These folks like to point to London as the example of a congestion reducing success story, but they mislead the public by failing to acknowledge that traffic in London is still terrible. Londoners spend an average of 227 hours a year in traffic and the city is ranked as having the 6th worst traffic/congestion problems in the world: https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-a8775056.html

The way my London family tells it, there was an immediate reduction in traffic congestion when the plan first went into place as people were getting used to the new order of things, but that things soon returned to the same terrible traffic. My family does, however, point to the benefits of increased funding for mass transit.

Still, I wish that political types would simply come out and say that this is the only real reason for congestion pricing as its not going to put a dent in traffic judging by the example city they love to cite.
Yeah, I don't think it will reduce traffic that much. I think people who drive in will just suck it up and pay as you describe is the case in London.

I saw Sam Schwartz give a presentation on congestion pricing last year with details about traffic, which of course is his area of expertise, and then in late winter/early spring, I attended an ABNY event at the midtown Hilton where Cuomo did his presentation on it. Cuomo's presentation was ALL about raising money for the MTA. I don't remember him mentioning traffic benefits at all.

Old 09-15-2019, 05:34 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:

Everyone is going to pay for this liberal democrat wet dream called "congestion pricing".

All deliveries below 61st street (or whatever) effectively will be taxed. Those paying that rate will simply pass along extra cost to customers. Doesn't matter if you're ordering furniture or a pizza; if it has go into midtown or below cost likely will increase.

Unless given an exemption taxi, uber, lyft, car services, etc... all will pass along any increase in fares because of congestion pricing.

Rent a car, Zipcar or whatever? If you go below into or below midtown for any reason there likely will be an increase as CP tax is passed along.

Car rental places haven't made any announcements as of yet that one knows of; but am going with they all will simply add a CP fee to all NYC rentals because they cannot control nor know if renter will enter that zone. From the UES or UWS you cannot get to NJ (and for people like me thus to Staten Island), without going through midtown to the Lincoln or downtown to the Holland. Suppose could take the FDR to Brooklyn Bridge or Battery, but that is a CF even at off peak travel times. So again if you are renting a ride and want to go from those areas out of city those are your options. Unless you want to drive north to the GWB and cross.

All sorts of business owners, employees, etc... who are midtown or below now are going to be taxed. Business owners either will eat that cost or try to pass it along. This goes for contractors, service persons and anyone else from dry cleaning/laundry on down.

Many businesses/services are already operating on tight margins and very close to the edge. Last thing the need in this over taxed and regulated city/state is another hand picking their back pockets. But that is exactly what CP is going to do; so ways are going to be found to get that money back from somewhere.

Old 09-16-2019, 01:54 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Quote:

Fake white progressives gentrify them away from public transportation, and then further tax them. Speaking of getting ripped off. This is just another tax for the poorer to pay to support the richer. Whatever happened to Robin Hood?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City