Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2019, 08:33 PM

31,656 posts, read 26,516,377 times

Advertisements

Our only hope to stop this hot mess is to vote out Cuomo and democrats in 2021, otherwise we're all screwed.

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...nwq-story.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2019, 09:23 PM

30,490 posts, read 17,940,485 times
Looks like congestion pricing is a done deal. Such was the cost for the GOP losing control of the state senate. Even if governor's office (it won't) and the senate (unlikely at this point) revert to GOP control, the Assembly (which will remain solidly Democrat) will never vote to go back on this issue.

For every person who ends us cursing congestion pricing who played a role in their GOP senator getting voted out (and, trust, there will be many), may you lose much money for driving in your own city that you already pay for via gas taxes, registration fees, and city income taxes, property taxes, and other taxes. I've long said that there is no tax that Democrats don't like, but I wish they were at least honest that this isn't going to lead to less congestion. Folks like to point to London as an example of successful congestion pricing. But while London city has raised a lot of money for mass transit, traffic still remains among the worst in the world. I'm glad I'm no longer home based in NYC. The city and state are going to hell.

Note, the biggest sellouts and traitors on this issue are the state senators of the working class and poor, who will (as is the case with most taxes) suffer the most under this plan.

Old 08-11-2019, 10:19 PM

88,089 posts, read 83,961,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Looks like congestion pricing is a done deal. Such was the cost for the GOP losing control of the state senate. Even if governor's office (it won't) and the senate (unlikely at this point) revert to GOP control, the Assembly (which will remain solidly Democrat) will never vote to go back on this issue.

For every person who ends us cursing congestion pricing who played a role in their GOP senator getting voted out (and, trust, there will be many), may you lose much money for driving in your own city that you already pay for via gas taxes, registration fees, and city income taxes, property taxes, and other taxes. I've long said that there is no tax that Democrats don't like, but I wish they were at least honest that this isn't going to lead to less congestion. Folks like to point to London as an example of successful congestion pricing. But while London city has raised a lot of money for mass transit, traffic still remains among the worst in the world. I'm glad I'm no longer home based in NYC. The city and state are going to hell.

Note, the biggest sellouts and traitors on this issue are the state senators of the working class and poor, who will (as is the case with most taxes) suffer the most under this plan.
It's been in the works for a long time. I saw a presentation on it last fall, November, I believe, given by Sam Schwartz. Then in the winter I attended an ABNY luncheon where Cuomo was the speaker and did his presentation on why it will be done.

I live in NJ and rarely drive into the city, so I don't care, but this will be your new normal.

Old 08-12-2019, 12:41 AM

335 posts, read 351,229 times
Quote:

Where did you move to?

Old 08-12-2019, 04:20 AM

157 posts, read 86,502 times
They want to ensure that the tale of two cities dilemma stays alive forever.

Old 08-12-2019, 04:24 AM

12,165 posts, read 7,135,491 times
If the city's retail scene is already dying, you can be sure this will be the death knell. Just about every facet of life is under attack by the Leftist Democrats and there's no one to blame but the dumb New Yorkers themselves.

Old 08-12-2019, 04:39 AM

30,490 posts, read 17,940,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCareerGuy View Post
Where did you move to?
I'm in the DMV area now.

Old 08-12-2019, 08:35 AM

5,618 posts, read 2,795,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
If the city's retail scene is already dying, you can be sure this will be the death knell. Just about every facet of life is under attack by the Leftist Democrats and there's no one to blame but the dumb New Yorkers themselves.

Agreed.

Reduced traffic is a benefit for the rich who live in the city.

It is their island. Them and tourists. Will they eliminate tourists as well at some point, citing fart pollution?

End gAme is people biking more so rich can get around freely in the s550 MB .

Old 09-01-2019, 07:19 PM

87 posts, read 101,145 times
will property taxes/groceries go up as well? I see there being delivery fees for those living below 60th and soon below 96th. Why would anyone want to stay here? Companies are moving, some jobs can be done remote, rent is high, etc.

Old 09-01-2019, 07:42 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,509,503 times
Quote:

Poor people rely on public transportation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City