Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 10:19 PM

15,842 posts, read 14,476,031 times

Advertisements

When they start getting mugged, they'll be screaming for Giuliani time to come back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldJTrump View Post
white lieberals do not care if criminals are roaming around and support this because they live in their own secured condos, and they see any crime as just part and parcel with city living and they can always go back to the midwest where they came from if things go bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 06:26 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,669,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
When they start getting mugged, they'll be screaming for Giuliani time to come back.
Don't count on it.

Even if Giuliani hadn't been disgracing himself lately, I can't think of anything that would make me want him to return.

Old 08-13-2019, 06:39 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I can't help but wonder if you've read any of the articles of all the disasters visited upon minor criminals, or non-criminals - such as Kalief Browder, whose tragedy was a trigger for this movement.
This is true because the system will hold someone until they are charged and post bail. If they can't afford bail they have to wait til a prosecutor reviews the charges whether the person should be free or held to be formally charged. Epstein was held for pending charges. Once formally charged he was deemed a flight risk and held awaiting for trial. The bail reform is too broad without any study or merit. Basically anyone who commits a non violent crime can get out and skip out on bail hearing.

Last edited by vision33r; 08-13-2019 at 06:48 PM..

Old 08-13-2019, 06:55 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,769,797 times
Did anybody here bother to read these articles? Even the NY Post actually had something accurate in it (Even a stopped clock...)

"...A key measure of the bill — which takes effect next year — eliminates cash bail for anyone charged with a misdemeanor or non-violent felony.."

In other words, anyone arrested for a violent felony is still subject to bail. The streets will NOT be overrun with gangbangers, wife-beaters, arsonists, and muggers because a judge has been forced to free them before trial. This is for misdemeanors and non-violent felonies only. So everyone take a chill pill. It'll still be safe to go outside.

Last edited by citylove101; 08-13-2019 at 07:08 PM..

Old 08-13-2019, 08:59 PM

15,842 posts, read 14,476,031 times
Giuliani the person isn't coming back. I think he likes his life the way it is.

I'm talking about Giuliani the cocept. Not going along to get along. Letting the cops do what the need to do to bring the criminal class to heel. Some younger guy, maybe a prosecutor who wants to move up, who'll make crime the key issue at just the right time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Don't count on it.

Even if Giuliani hadn't been disgracing himself lately, I can't think of anything that would make me want him to return.

Old 08-14-2019, 05:48 AM

268 posts, read 239,698 times
The end of cash bail for misdemeanors and non-violent felonies is a step forward! Cash bail and monitoring are huge contributors to our two-track criminal "justice" system.

No one deserves to be jailed over parking tickets or accusations of shoplifting sneakers but that happens all of the time. And for non-white defendants it can be a death sentence.

If I swipe a pair of sunglasses at Rite Aid, I would be able to post bail before dinner, my nanny would handle the kids and my lawyer would have it dismissed in minutes. Someone who can't make bail can end up losing their job, their children and their home without ever seeing a trial. It's a clear violation of the Fifth Amendment and I'm glad that states are beginning to address the injustice.

Old 08-14-2019, 05:58 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,223,380 times
^ How about not swiping the pair of sunglasses at Rite Aid to begin with, then you wouldn't need bail?

You've just proven the point that this will just lead to more crime, including theft of sunglasses at Rite Aid.

Old 08-14-2019, 06:30 AM

37,145 posts, read 39,394,719 times
What about speedy trial?

Old 08-14-2019, 06:34 AM

37,145 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakanda18 View Post
What about women in domestic relationships that wont have enough time to get away because their abusive SO is out of jail in 24 hours. Or the gang fight that broke out, that let every rival gang member stay on the street to kill someone.

Shootings/murders will go up dramatically because now ppl wont have time to cool off in a jail cell to think about their next steps like before
Are those low level misdemeanors or non-violent felonies?

Old 08-14-2019, 06:57 AM

268 posts, read 239,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
^ How about not swiping the pair of sunglasses at Rite Aid to begin with, then you wouldn't need bail?

You've just proven the point that this will just lead to more crime, including theft of sunglasses at Rite Aid.
What if I'm only accused and didn't steal anything? Would you say it is okay to hold me without a trial? Of course not. And our legal system says that it isn't acceptable to hold anyone without a trial because their guilt isn't established. Everyone is innocent before a verdict is rendered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City