Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 12:24 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,290,806 times

Advertisements

Another example:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/26...9!4d-74.108509
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 12:28 PM

Staten Island gets made fun of because it is "over there" away from everything on an island and a large segment of the population is still Italian. It's the only borough that has several Republican elected officials. The other boroughs have one or two at the most.

Old 08-13-2019, 12:57 PM

19,046 posts, read 13,959,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankInPhilly View Post
I'm guessing post #5. Have to say, I'm of Italian descent, grew up on SI, and never heard either of those words.
I missed that one, thank you.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 08-13-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankInPhilly View Post
I'm guessing post #5. Have to say, I'm of Italian descent, grew up on SI, and never heard either of those words.
It's not my post. There was another post that was deleted...

Old 08-13-2019, 01:17 PM

1,566 posts, read 905,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
You get one pass on the use of that word due to your apparent place of origin. Use it again and you’ll be banned.
Ah, yes. Of course. No offense intended. I'm glad you deleted it.

Old 08-13-2019, 02:44 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,616,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canovas View Post
Very interesting, thank you! I had a completely different impression since here in Manhattan people often make fun of SI and say all sorts of negative things about it, in many cases saying its working class or whatever. The image is certainly not a wealthy one so this is interesting.
Depends on your friend group/whom you speak to. Whom I converse with have the image of it being far and misunderstood, which is largely true. I've been to a good bit of SI, but most people I know haven't even stepped foot in it. The guy whom installed my FIOS was from Tottenville and we got into talking about school districts, history, my friend whom lives nearby that I go to raves with, etc. Cool bunch of people on the rock.

My favorite part is probably Todt Hill. Visit sometime. The strangest thing I think about sometimes is people's conceptions of far. They'll visit out in Jersey or PA long before they'll go to SI because it's 'far'.

Old 08-13-2019, 03:16 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canovas View Post
Very interesting, thank you! I had a completely different impression since here in Manhattan people often make fun of SI and say all sorts of negative things about it, in many cases saying its working class or whatever. The image is certainly not a wealthy one so this is interesting.
Born and raised on SI, and am here to tell you the Rock is just like any other place; it has a range of socio-economic demographics from busted poor to very wealthy.

People in Manhattan or elsewhere who rank on SI for being "working class" largely do so based upon what they see/have heard about the dominate population; white Irish or Italian persons who speak, and or act a certain way. From that they make the stupid assumption everyone out there is "poor" or "working class", and otherwise dismiss them as hillbillies or something.

Not a bit of it is true.

SI has one of the highest household income/wealth demographics of entire NYC. It also has the highest rate of homeowners (as opposed to renters), and so forth.

Plenty of people who talk like something out of the Sopranos or a bad Irish LE sitcom have more money in their back pockets than 90% of people posting on this board or otherwise running their mouths attempting to drag SI down.

Doctors, attorneys, CPAs, and a host of other professionals live out on SI. More to the point they live in nice homes they "OWN", not rent. Have two or more cars, take nice vacations, kids in good public or private schools, and so forth. You also have a very high number of NYPD, FDNY, DSNY and other state or city civil servants who while their employment may say "working class" again that is where things stop. They've got nice homes, cars, etc... and generally make bank and are doing very well.

You don't see many posts from SI here moaning and obsessing about those "affordable/low income" housing lotteries do you?

Old 08-13-2019, 03:31 PM

19,046 posts, read 13,959,968 times
You bring up a good point. It is rarely Staten Islanders complaining about Staten Island.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 08-13-2019, 03:32 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,237,720 times
Those kind of people?

Old 08-13-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Born and raised on SI, and am here to tell you the Rock is just like any other place; it has a range of socio-economic demographics from busted poor to very wealthy.

People in Manhattan or elsewhere who rank on SI for being "working class" largely do so based upon what they see/have heard about the dominate population; white Irish or Italian persons who speak, and or act a certain way. From that they make the stupid assumption everyone out there is "poor" or "working class", and otherwise dismiss them as hillbillies or something.

Not a bit of it is true.

SI has one of the highest household income/wealth demographics of entire NYC. It also has the highest rate of homeowners (as opposed to renters), and so forth.

Plenty of people who talk like something out of the Sopranos or a bad Irish LE sitcom have more money in their back pockets than 90% of people posting on this board or otherwise running their mouths attempting to drag SI down.

Doctors, attorneys, CPAs, and a host of other professionals live out on SI. More to the point they live in nice homes they "OWN", not rent. Have two or more cars, take nice vacations, kids in good public or private schools, and so forth. You also have a very high number of NYPD, FDNY, DSNY and other state or city civil servants who while their employment may say "working class" again that is where things stop. They've got nice homes, cars, etc... and generally make bank and are doing very well.

You don't see many posts from SI here moaning and obsessing about those "affordable/low income" housing lotteries do you?
Everything you've stated is correct. Staten Island gets a bad rap because it leans Republican in a heavy Democratic city, so of course others would look for anything to complain about as to how it is "different".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City