Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2019, 06:05 AM

106,643 posts, read 108,790,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirlMastic Beach View Post
Any area with man made nature-like elements as its primary purpose is bound to have higher risk of asset depreciation during downswings of business cycles.
Any area dependent on tourists can see boom or bust manmade elements or not. Just look at the catskills downfall and all the hotels
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2019, 10:05 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,312,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Any area dependent on tourists can see boom or bust manmade elements or not. Just look at the catskills downfall and all the hotels
Ski resorts are man made. Man makes booms and busts more pronounced.

Old 09-09-2019, 10:36 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,329,886 times
Quote:
Ski resorts are man made. Man makes booms and busts more pronounced.
Huh? That doesn’t make much sense.

The vast majority of tourist attractions are man made anyway: for example cities, monuments, etc.

Also as far as I know, the downfall of the Catskills wasn’t about skiing. I think it had something to do with changes in the 70s with cheaper and more accessible air travel. People of means started traveling “abroad” for vacations vs driving upstate.

Old 09-09-2019, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post

The vast majority of tourist attractions are man made anyway: for example cities, monuments, etc.

Also as far as I know, the downfall of the Catskills wasn’t about skiing. I think it had something to do with changes in the 70s with cheaper and more accessible air travel. People of means started traveling “abroad” for vacations vs driving upstate.
It was so silly I did not even bother to respond to it

Old 09-09-2019, 12:15 PM

19,039 posts, read 13,955,559 times
Shirl... do you know Clarke?

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 09-09-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Shirl... do you know Clarke?
That's my crazy neighbor. Don't mind him.

Old 09-09-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:

Cities are not man made. Man belongs living in cities. Cities provide efficient living for human beings. It is where we live and work. Tourism is an after thought.

Old 09-09-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Cities are not man made. Man belongs living in cities. Cities provide efficient living for human beings. It is where we live and work. Tourism is an after thought.
.... this makes no sense... I don’t even know where to begin... besides, I don’t want this thread to go off topic

Back to the topic, because of the decline of the Catskills, I’d assume there is plenty opportunity for cheap land. Also someone mentioned inexpensive developments in the Poconos. Personally, I can’t get past the image I have in my head of the Poconos as a cheesy resort area- thanks to the commercials I saw for places like Mt Airy Lodge as a kid. For that reason the area will for ever be cringe worthy for me.

Old 09-09-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
.... this makes no sense... I don’t even know where to begin... besides, I don’t want this thread to go off topic

Back to the topic, because of the decline of the Catskills, I’d assume there is plenty opportunity for cheap land. Also someone mentioned inexpensive developments in the Poconos. Personally, I can’t get past the image I have in my head of the Poconos as a cheesy resort area- thanks to the commercials I saw for places like Mt Airy Lodge as a kid. For that reason the area will for ever be cringe worthy for me.
to me that is how i view most of Monroe county , but the other counties are very different ...

monroe was the target of all those why rent you can own advertisements in the papers for years ... the county attracted lots of lower end residents . they have a big drug an gang problem

Old 09-09-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
to me that is how i view most of Monroe county , but the other counties are very different ...

monroe was the target of all those why rent you can own advertisements in the papers for years ... the county attracted lots of lower end residents . they have a big drug an gang problem
Ah, interesting...yet I still cannot shake those 80s/90s ads. And now of course the Mt Airy Lodge jingle is stuck in my head!

This must be what happens when I tell some people I live in Bed Stuy and they immediately think of Bed Stuy circa 1988! It’s amazing how an image of an area can stay in your mind no matter how much someone will try and convince you otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City