Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 05:26 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
We probably won't find out what happens in this case as the news often doesn't followup. There was an assault in my neighborhood a few weeks ago against a Hindu priest with the attacker supposedly telling him to get out of his neighborhood. There were politicians including members of Congress calling for him to be charged with a hate crime. So far he hasn't been and there has been no followup in the news. Trump was blamed for causing that attack as well.
No link?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2019, 06:35 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,901,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
If you beat up a minor, you lose in any civil court. Public opinion will never back you up no matter how bad the minor acted.

Nonsense. If I'm on a jury, and I thought the kid was a punk, I'd vote to acquit the guy who punched the punk.

Of course, I'd say that I'm voting to acquit because I found the evidence unconvincing, and not because the punk kid deserved to get clobbered.

Old 08-19-2019, 06:45 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,901,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Kid was in the wrong for riding on the sidewalk at that age (I believe you are only allowed to legally ride on the sidewalk until you're 16 years old in NYC), but it was a rather victim-less crime.

Rather victimless? Why the weasel word?

You ride a bike on a sidewalk, you're weaving among pedestrians, causing mayhem, risking injury to them. Odds are good that this "kid" regularly rode on the sidewalk, and has hit someone, or several someones, over the course of years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
even if the boy became physically aggressive with the perp (nothing I've seen would suggest that), the boy certainly didn't pose much of a physical threat to the much bigger man.
How do you know the man was "much bigger"? Have they released pictures of this "boy"?

Old 08-20-2019, 02:54 PM

4,198 posts, read 4,085,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
No link?
More stories on google search for "Hindu priest attacked". No updates for about a month but at the time a lot of people were blaming Trump.

https://www.newsweek.com/hindu-pries...-trump-1450462

Old 08-25-2019, 10:01 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Why were you riding on the sidewalk? It's illegal, and besides that, extremely annoying to people trying to use the sidewalk as intended.
Because I was riding on the street and a cop stepped off a traffic island directly in front of me, and it was either hit him or swerve onto the sidewalk. I should have hit him. Or just kept riding once I got onto the sidewalk and he was swearing at me, because when I stopped that ******* put me in handcuffs and wrote me like 5 summonses (3 traffic and 2 criminal, including riding on the sidewalk). Then he told the traffic judge he hurt his back chasing me down and had to go to the hospital, so the traffic judge jacked up the fine for that.

Old 08-26-2019, 07:26 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
More stories on google search for "Hindu priest attacked". No updates for about a month but at the time a lot of people were blaming Trump.

https://www.newsweek.com/hindu-pries...-trump-1450462
Thank you

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-27-2019, 07:17 AM

804 posts, read 545,587 times
The bottom line is that you should throw punches at anybody at all unless they are using physical force. I will admit some security guards come off as brash and disrespectful but that only comes with the mentality with many from military ( that killed in the military ) and criminal ( even if they are clean ) backgrounds. However I will admit sometimes you have to ride on the sidewalks to evade traffic. Does not matter if they are 16 or 61 years old nothing gives you the right to attack somebody physically for riding a bike anywhere at all.

Old 08-27-2019, 08:38 AM

1,486 posts, read 989,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanArt View Post
The bottom line is that you should throw punches at anybody at all unless they are using physical force. I will admit some security guards come off as brash and disrespectful but that only comes with the mentality with many from military ( that killed in the military ) and criminal ( even if they are clean ) backgrounds. However I will admit sometimes you have to ride on the sidewalks to evade traffic. Does not matter if they are 16 or 61 years old nothing gives you the right to attack somebody physically for riding a bike anywhere at all.
And if the sidewalk bike riding individual just so happens to hit the walking pedestrian with the bike ?

Remember no one knows the full story so all angles have to be considered until video footage or eye witness statements say otherwise. Right now all the public have is "guy beats 16 year old ass for riding on the sidewalk" the public then run with this and pile on their emotional reactions without fully understanding and by the time the truth is revealed no one will care because the spread of misinformation caused by emotional reactions largely outweighs the truth.

Old 08-27-2019, 08:27 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,593,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
I don't give a rat's behind what happened, you don't put your hands on a kid regardless of what is said, period, end of discussion.

You can't even hit your own kids for "mouthing off" without consequences and repercussions, so what makes some you think it's ok to whack someone else's?

Even if this eegjt was hit, foot run over or whatever by kid on a bike, he has no rights to beat up on a child.

Guys who beat up on kids are in same category of those who do same to females; cowards and bullies. They wouldn't dare throw a punch at a guy in an even match for fear their behinds would be given a serious beat down.

What our dads told us is true; only way to deal with a bully is to give him a taste of his own medicine. They then either slink away with tails between their legs, or otherwise get the message. Either way job is done.
16 year old "kids" can and often are just as large and dangerous as any middle aged short guy with a paunch. In fact usually they are more dangerous because they are mentally immature and have poor impulse control compared to older adults. We can see the mayhem that groups of out of control "teens" and "urban youths" (lol, gotta love that one) in the 15-19 year old age range wreck on places like New York. If he got in my face after almost running me over with his bike I'd put my boot in his a*s too if he came asking for it.

Old 08-28-2019, 03:47 PM

7,348 posts, read 4,134,790 times
A woman whom a cyclist struck in Central Park last week died Sunday night, her family said on Monday
The woman, Jill Tarlov, 58, was walking across West Drive near West 63rd Street in the park on Thursday afternoon when she was hit by a cyclist and struck her head on the road. She had been in critical condition at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center.

Her husband, Mike Wittman, an executive for CBS Television Stations, announced her death in a statement.

“My wife was beautiful in every way imaginable,” Mr. Wittman said. “Jill was the most amazing mother to Matthew and Anna, who taught them above all that kindness, compassion, and a spirit for life were the right morals to live by.” https://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/23/n...k-cyclist.html

AND,

A woman who was struck by a cyclist in Midtown last month has died of her injuries.

Donna Sturm was hit by a cyclist in the crosswalk at West 57th Street between Fifth and Sixth Avenues during her lunch break on April 25th. The cyclist, 40-year-old Damian Deward, allegedly ran a red light when he hit Sturm.

Sturm suffered a fractured skull and fell into a coma; the 67-year-old died over the weekend, according to the Medical Examiner's office.

Deward remained on the scene after hitting Sturm. An NYPD spokesperson said he had been issued a ticket for running a red light, but that no charges have been filed. The spokesperson said the crash is still under investigation.

Sturm is the first pedestrian killed by a cyclist in New York City since 2017, when Shun Kwong Leung was struck by a cyclist on Essex Street running a red light. Leung later died of his injuries, and the Manhattan DA declined to prosecute the case.

In August of 2014, a 17-year-old cyclist hit Irving Schachter, 75, as he was jogging in Central Park. The teen was not cited, and Schachter died two days after the collision.

Around a month later, Jill Tarlov was struck by cyclist Jason Marshall in Central Park. Tarlov died of her head injuries several days after the crash. Marshall was not cited or charged, and called Tarlov's death an "unavoidable accident." Marshall was reportedly traveling in the bike lane on West Drive when he left it to avoid hitting another group of pedestrians.

Of the 754 pedestrians killed on city streets in the half decade before Tarlov's death, three pedestrians were killed by cyclists.

According to the NYPD's numbers, traffic deaths are up by 30 percent over the first four months of this year compared to 2018, though the Department of Transportation says the increase is closer to 10 percent due to how the police department keeps its records.

Correction: This post initially stated that Jill Tarlov was the last pedestrian killed by a cyclist in New York City in 2014. In fact Shun Kwong Leung died after he was hit by a cyclist in 2017. There have also been at least three pedestrians killed by cyclists since 2009, not two, as the post originally stated. We regret the errors.

https://gothamist.com/news/pedestria...ist-in-midtown
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City