Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 02:34 PM

35 posts, read 135,231 times

Advertisements

Do NYC apartment building typically have laundry rooms?

What's your NYC laundry experience?

I'm in Seattle right now and most bldgs have laundry rooms. I've had to use them in the middle of the night to get anything done, since they are usually packed. However, it's been nice not having to find a laundromat, especially living without a car.

Since most New Yorkers don't have cars, I would expect that either bldgs have their own laundry facilities or that there are a number of laundromats within the city.

Am I totally off base?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 02:46 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
Many buildings do have laundry rooms, but not all. And in those with laundry facilities, they can be like my prior building, available only specified hours (very annoying!). That situation isn't the rule, but rather the exception. But there are also many laundromats - and 'wash and fold' stores, where they'll do the whole thing for you. It IS New York, after all.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:07 PM

757 posts, read 3,363,354 times
I've never had laundry facilities in my building, but everyone I know who does is restricted to certain hours -- usually something like 7 a.m.-10 p.m.

Laundry is the bane of my existence. I found a great laundrybag/backpack which has eased the task somewhat. I actually have two laundromats reasonably nearby. A long block west has one with insufficient dryers (a common NYC situation), including one that probably never gets higher than about 90 degrees. It is next to a little vestpocket park, which makes that place attractive for pleasant days. However, the recent new owners want to develop their drycleaning business (which is stupid, as there are two very good and well established dry cleaners within 20 paces) and have neglected the upkeep of their washers and dryers.

The other laundry has more reliable machines, but they don't accept quarters -- only a card that you have to keep a minimum balance above $3, so it feels like we're being taken. The room is dark and has no comfortable seating -- just a bench.

Whichever laundromat I choose, I have to load up my laundrybag-backpack and maybe another large tote or shopping bag. I don't use a wheeled cart, because they're too unweildy on the four flights of steps involved in the process. I end up washing shirts and u-wear by hand much of the time. It's much less onerous than doing it the modern way.

My most ardent dream is for an apartment with ample closets and its own w/d.

Last edited by Carbro; 04-16-2008 at 07:51 PM..

Old 04-17-2008, 07:03 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
3 words, live it, learn it, love it... WASH AND FOLD! I use it in LI even. You drop it off, then go back and pick it up and like magic, everything is clean an folded. It really costs only a bit more than doing it yourself at the laundromat. Most places also pick up and deliver.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:10 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,369,396 times
Doesn't it cost like $20-30 to get a bag of laundry done?

I usually spend a little over $4 per week at the laundromat doing my own laundry. I can't afford to spend an extra $20 on something that I can do in my spare time on the weekend.

I hate doing laundry. What I would give for a washer/dryer in my apartment or even one in the building. My local laundrymat is actually pretty nice though, so I shouldn't complain. It is big, bright with lots of washers and plenty of dryers, and it is actually pretty clean (which is nice).

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
3 words, live it, learn it, love it... WASH AND FOLD! I use it in LI even. You drop it off, then go back and pick it up and like magic, everything is clean an folded. It really costs only a bit more than doing it yourself at the laundromat. Most places also pick up and deliver.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:44 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
I don't use wash and fold (I have a washer and dryer in my apartment) but I also despise doing laundry and if I didn't have the machines in my kitchen, I'd use the wash and fold. It's worth it in time. I work 10-12 hours/day, plus weekends plus nights. I don't get much 'leisure' so for me, no matter what it costs, it would be more than worthwhile.

All the buildings I've lived in have had machines (even when I lived in Washington Heights) that were always available. But wash and fold has saved many of my colleagues from many headaches.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:31 AM

274 posts, read 1,108,894 times
Most walkups in Manhattan don't have a laundry room. You have to drag clothes to the laundromat or drag them to a laundry service for $25 per load. Pain in the butt. Those that have a laundry room (1 or 2 machines) are in dark basements. I call them "rapist rooms".

Almost all newer, more expensive highrises have a laundry room.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:44 AM

139 posts, read 924,079 times
urban hiker i know what you saying i mostly see that laundry room in the apartment building hallway mostly outta town in other state. in ny its either you buy a washer & dryer to put in ya apartment or you hit the local laundrymat. it would be more convient for them to put them in the hallway like other states do but hey

Old 04-17-2008, 12:10 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Im so lucky I have a portable washer and a clothesline, 4 stories high....
but sometimes do have to go to laundromat for the big bath towels....and in bad weather have to use the dreyers.
I dont know if its me but the dryers dont seem to get as hot as they did years ago, almost to the point that you couldnt even touch the clothes when the cycle stopped....
I like my clothesline better..... free of charge..... LOL

Old 04-17-2008, 08:10 PM

922 posts, read 3,861,494 times
I'm another wash-and-fold addict. I call it "buying my weekend back".

Ironically, we have our own laundry hook-ups in the basement where we could install our own machines, which, of course would be cheaper in the long run. But we're so addicted to Wash-and-fold that we never got around to buying a washer and dryer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City