Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 02:30 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pope of Greenwich Village View Post
A lot of people used to say "stood" for "stayed"... "I shoulda stood in bed today."

Also, non NYers are always confused about when we call our apartment "the house."

"Meet me over at my house."

They say, "you mean your apartment?"
I know someone who says that! She said her husband "stood home".

Old 08-19-2019, 04:19 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
What about "safe home"? Is that a NY expression? The first time I ever heard it was when I was working with some NYC natives. I had never heard it in my entire life so not sure if it was just a couple people using it or if it's a regional thing.

As in, when you're all leaving an event or a party late in the evening, you say "Safe home" instead of "Get home safely" or "Safe travels."

I googled it and apparently it's a translation from the Irish Slán abhaile so maybe it's only popular with Irish immigrants and their descendants? The woman who I recall saying it to me was not of Irish ancestry but was married to someone with an Irish name, and she had grown up in Woodside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2019, 04:35 PM

19,517 posts, read 9,540,055 times
Quote:

Earl for oil

Erster for oyster

Terlet for toilet

Sawr...I saw you

Hewer...you WH*R* (derogatory for prostitute)

Avenyou...Avenue

Going inside...when going from one room to the other in a one bedroom apartment...very NYC thing.
I remember watching "All In The Family" when Archie said it that way.

Old 08-19-2019, 06:01 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,768,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I didn't know that was regional. I always said pocketbook, and recently someone not from this area was quiet for a minute when I said it, and then he said, "Do you mean your purse?"

One grandmother said purse. I don't think I heard handbag until I was an adult. Maybe a teenager.
That's amazing. I thought everyone used the term or at least know the term, "pocketbook". lol.

Old 08-19-2019, 06:09 PM

947 posts, read 1,402,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Oil used to be pronounced as "earl" in NYC.

A friend of mine from the Bronx whose name was Earl swore to me that, when he was once having car trouble, an acquaintance told him

"Oyl, you need to change your earl"

A New York-ism common in the four outer boroughs was to say, when heading into Manhattan, "I'm going into the city" (as if Brooklyn, the Bronx, Queens, and Staten Island weren't part of NYC!)

I've been out of the Bronx for 40 years but still have not completely lost the Noo Yawk accent, although it's certainly less pronounced than among my friends who have never left the area. I think the NYPD and FDNY are still strongholds for the traditional accent, at least to judge by listening to the average firefighter or police officer.

Old 08-19-2019, 06:33 PM

700 posts, read 422,238 times
Quote:
A lot of people used to say "stood" for "stayed"... "I shoulda stood in bed today."

Also, non NYers are always confused about when we call our apartment "the house."

"Meet me over at my house."

They say, "you mean your apartment?"
People are that specific outside of NY? I always say my
House as well.

Old 08-19-2019, 06:42 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,600,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLoveFashion View Post
People are that specific outside of NY? I always say my
House as well.
I doubt it.

Old 08-19-2019, 06:47 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,600,729 times
Some of these examples seem very antiquated

Old 08-19-2019, 06:47 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,768,323 times
I'll say "home" or "apt" but not "house" unless I actually live in one.

Old 08-19-2019, 07:34 PM

1,258 posts, read 1,462,890 times
I think "fugghedaboutit" has been replaced by "no problem." I think people still say "forget about it" or "fugghedaboutit." I say some variation of it all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City